Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Days Ride.

+3
paul
madmax
Hammy
7 posters

Go down

Great Days Ride. Empty Great Days Ride.

Post  Hammy Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:23 am

Well the stars finally aligned and I managed to go for my maiden voyage on the good ship MT-01.  Got work out of the way bright n early. Onto the 7:10am barge and over to the land of Oz. Off into the city to head for the hills and lakes. The plan was to head over Mt Mee and then onto Imbil.  When on got onto the Samford Rd I saw a sign that said "Mt Glorious" .  Hmmmm.  Haven't done that one, so why not. The morning was perfect. Overcast. And the traffic was not that heavy. On top of Mt Glorious I saw the usual "In" crowd of bikers all parked up outside the café, sipping on their skim milk latte's and trying to look cool. What a bunch of tossers. Probably ride 40 ks for the day. Oh well. Never mind. Onwards past Wivenhoe Dam and up to Lake Somerset. Before I reached there I had my first encounter with the dreaded Fuel warning light. Three litres left. Ooops.  I hadn't refuelled on the mainland as I thought I was going to take the other route. She'll be right. Had no idea of the fuel range and had visions of me parked on the side of the road, walking to a farm house begging for fuel.
Anyway I made it to the tiny village at Somerset and there is a small convenience store with a pump. Phew !.. On to Kilcoy where I picked up satellite coverage . Had to summon on Goggle maps to lead the way to Imbil as I had no idea where to go. It took me to Melaney then onto an 8km stretch of dirt road called Kidman Creek Rd. Then onto Obi Obi Rd, the home of Master Gus.  Sorry Gus, I did not have time to stop in, I had to meet friends for lunch in Imbil.  Arrived at Imbil 11:50 and parked outside the local. As you do. My friends turned up a few minutes later. They were up there to check out a block of land.  A mob of Hardley riders turned up and parked all around me MT.  We were sitting outside around the corner and me mate said, "hey Paul,  They're all checking out your bike ".  I said that's OK. Just tell me if they touch it.  We had lunch which was very nice.  Then I decided to go and check out the local dam. Lake Borumba.  I went around to my bike which was encircled by the 6-7 Harleys. The riders were sitting outside. I loudly said, "Who put all these Harleys around my Yammy ?  It's probably contracted an oil leak " .   A few murmers and a half wit remark from the bunch.  Then one of them noticed the shirt I had on.  "You been to the Lunatic Hotel mate" ?  Yeah I said. Plenty of times. Love it. Then there conversation suddenly changed to the Lunatic Hotel at Drake. I fired up the MT and left them to it. The lake is 11ks from town and is very pretty. Man made, and lots of lovely spots to camp.  Back into Imbil to refuel for the ride home. Was getting on so I decided that I would have to take the direct route home if I wanted to make the last barge. The pace was brisk. Mad cage drivers everywhere. Back to Redland Bay. 220kms, and the warning light had not come on. Fueled up and managed to squeeze 12 lts into her.  Roughly 6 lts per 100 kms. Not bad I recon for a 1700cc donk being pushed along.
How did the Mt perform I hear you ask ?   Great fun. It is certainly no Bandit, or like any other in line four. Great gearbox. Found there was not even any reason to  blip the throttle on down shifts most of the time. Will take more time to get used to it. Brakes are fantastic. Fun locking up the rear on the gravel. Power out of the tight twisties is awesome. As long as you are in the right gear.  Seat is quite good. No numbness and my hands were fine also.  Heat from the pipes was not an issue. And the sound ?   Bloody Great !

Great Days Ride. 00110
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Great Days Ride. Empty Re: Great Days Ride.

Post  madmax Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:57 am

Nice ride Hammy

Maybe you need to buy a trailer as a fuel tanker  Laughing

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 02 Feb 2014, 10:03 am

madmax wrote:Nice ride Hammy

Maybe you need to buy a trailer as a fuel tanker  Laughing

Naa.  Not too bad if I can get 200+ ks.  I will probably keep this toy for about a year. Then I will have another change.

Also forgot to mention that the buffering was very limited. Hate to admit it but I think there was more on the Bandit S.  Maybe it is the screen design. ??  Have looked around for a small aftermarket one but there is not a lot on offer.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 02 Feb 2014, 8:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed the ride Hammy  Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:48 pm

Sat at the tea house in Rylstone,  on our way to Mudgee, and potato potato potato potato a MT01 burbled past.  
I did think it was a Hardly Rideable coming, but when I saw that it was an MT, I wondered if you had gone "rideabout"
Obviously another proud owner, he rode straight past the servo.  Thrill seeker. Lol
Glad to hear that you two are getting to know each other.  
Good on you, Hammy.

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 02 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm

Bosco15 wrote:.... he rode straight past the servo.  Thrill seeker....

Great Days Ride. Smiley-laughing025

I don't feel so alone now....

Great Days Ride. Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 02 Feb 2014, 11:41 pm

Good one Hammy - the maiden voyage and not an iceberg in sight.  You left out the bit then how you beat the shit out of the Harley riders, trashed their bikes and burned down their HQ?  Still, this family friendly version is appreciated!  Good to see you're getting to know the big beast.  Looking forward to seeing it, and you, at Drake.   cheers  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 03 Feb 2014, 7:20 am

Ewok1958 wrote:Good one Hammy - the maiden voyage and not an iceberg in sight.  You left out the bit then how you beat the shit out of the Harley riders, trashed their bikes and burned down their HQ?  Still, this family friendly version is appreciated!  Good to see you're getting to know the big beast.  Looking forward to seeing it, and you, at Drake.   cheers  cheers

Not long Now !   I will have some other good news about the Drake trip in a few days. Just waiting to hear from someone.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Feb 2014, 8:48 am

Great report Hammy, sounds like a good day out on the beast. The reason you didn't find a reason to blip the throttle on downshifts is because there isn't one, unless of course you ride a Hardley and are craving attention because Mum didn't love you as a child. Or your riding something with a Cummins Signature engine in it with an Eaton 18 speed box. Very Happy
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:36 am

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Great report Hammy, sounds like a good day out on the beast. The reason you didn't find a reason to blip the throttle on downshifts is because there isn't one, unless of course you ride a Hardley and are craving attention because Mum didn't love you as a child. Or your riding something with a Cummins Signature engine in it with an Eaton 18 speed box. Very Happy

It was great fun, and a day of learning and experimenting. It is like nothing else that I have ridden. There is engine brakeing when you downshift but sometimes it is very smooth and you think to yourself, Mmmm, that was nice.  All in all. A great big toy. The Ventura rack with the grab rail is very handy as there is not much at the rear of the bike to hold onto whilst getting the paddock stand in place. I have both front and rear stands and they lift the Beast perfectly. Ideal for working on.         How is the "secret mens business stuff going" ?    Nudge nudge.  Wink wink.  Know what I mean.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 03 Feb 2014, 10:53 am

Ohh, Am I the person your waiting to hear from??

Is your wife into photography? Could be on oll-a-dee, could be on oll-a-dee.

Does she ahhh, go? I bet she does, I bet she does.

Check your PM box Sir.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 03 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Ohh, Am I the person your waiting to hear from??

Is your wife into photography? Could be on oll-a-dee, could be on oll-a-dee.

Does she ahhh, go? I bet she does, I bet she does.

Check your PM box Sir.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!   Your Crazy.. But Hey !  I like that in a man.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum