Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delkevic Exhaust

+11
Dekenai
1wheeldrive
barry_mcki
watto110
madmax
Cal
geekay007
stu
Hammy
Sloth_27
SolomonKane
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Delkevic Exhaust  Empty Delkevic Exhaust

Post  SolomonKane Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

This morning I bought a Delkevic exhaust to replace the Suzuki OEM.

Originally I was going to buy Dingo’s 4 month old Delkevic exhaust but we were not able to source a downpipe. He only has the downpipe for the 1200.

Emailed Delkevic UK via their website last Friday night and received a reply well within the hour from their European Sales Representative Ron Thompson.  Delkevic no longer have an Australian office, hence the elusive down pipe for a 1250.

We exchanged quite a few emails regarding options and also identifying what model of exhaust Dingo has; turns out it’s the 450mm Oval. Ron said he could ship a downpipe to me from their China depot for £65 landed which is about $111 AUD; £25 for the downpipe and £40 shipping. He also offered me the option of buying a brand new Silencer Kit with the 450mm Stainless Oval Silencer. The landed price for that was £149.

Unfortunately for Dingo that was the more cost effective option for me. He very kindly let me off the hook and I ordered and paid for the new one early this morning. At the exchange rate at the time it should have ended up  being around $255 AUD, but PayPal savaged me on the rate bringing it to $266.04 AUD. Nonetheless, I think that’s still a great deal.

I have nothing but praise for Ron. Excellent communication and service all the way through. When I’ve installed it and taken a few test rides I’ll write a review about the exhaust itself. 

If you’re interested in a getting a Delkevic exhaust and have a 1200 it’s in excellent condition and Dingo’s a great guy to deal with; reliable, fair, and honest.

If you have a 1250 contact me ASAP! If I can catch Ron before my order ships I’ll see if he can add an extra down pipe. That way you might get free shipping if it doesn’t take the weight of the package into another category.

SK
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Delkevic Exhaust  Empty Re: Delkevic Exhaust

Post  Sloth_27 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:37 pm

Good luck, hope it fits. There has been mixed feedback on here about Delkevic quality control (header pipes anyway).
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:37 pm

Yes, I read various reviews on Delkevic and as you say, they're mixed.

But it's on its way now so what will be will be.

Feeling pretty positive about it though and expecting it will be fine.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 08 Aug 2013, 9:16 am

You will be happy. They look and sound great. Baffle out of course. Smile   I got the headers as well and mine went together perfectly. I dealt with the American office who were also very helpful. It does all come out of China. But what doesn't these days ?  Quality is excellent.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 9:35 am

Yeah as far as I know the exhausts are ok. Can't really understand why only some people had problems with the headers and others had none. Seemed to me to sound like they sent the wrong kit.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:09 pm

Do you have any pics?

I've also got a small Delkevic on my 1200 and would be interested to see if it is the the same one.

Have you noticed any difference in performance?

If you haven't I suggest you get your bike tuned to match the new exhaust. I just had my bike dynoed and it is runnning far too lean. It was the previous owner who changed  the pipe, and I suspect it wasn't tuned after.... I'm getting my own bike rejetted now, and I reckon that'll bring out more hp to match the pipe potential.....

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 5:22 pm

I have one too on my bike. To be honest, the sealing isn't crash hot. There is some blowby near the rivets at the base of the can where it attaches to the downpipe. It was like that from day one. I couldn't be stuffed returning it. It is a very light silencer and has a nice finish to it. Overall it's OK. I bought mine from the US supplier a year and a half ago for about $260. At the time the Aussie supplier wanted over $350 for one. Much cheaper than an Arrow, Staintune or a Yoshi so it was worth it.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Delkevic Exhaust  Empty Delkevic Exhaust Fitted

Post  SolomonKane Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

Apologies for taking so long to follow up regarding the Delkevic Exhaust.

Delivery time was good.

• Paid for on the 7th of August
  • En route on the 9th of August
  • Arrived on the 15th of August

Tracking number was provided and they did an excellent job with the packing. They let themselves down though by leaving some dust and dirt inside the link pipe. Not a major issue, however, when everything has been packed so nicely it seems a shame to diminish things by not taking the time to wipe out the inside of a pipe. Took photographs as I was unpacking the box. If anyone wants to see them let me know and I will upload them.  

Delkevic Exhaust  Sv10

Installed it on the 17th of August. The installation instructions provided are woeful to say the least. Very basic information with no diagrams. It was only after I checked with them regarding the right size gasket to use that I discovered I would not need one. Nothing about that in the instructions. However, they did provide good support by email. I have never installed an exhaust before and the fact that I was able to do it proves that pretty much anyone is capable of doing it.

Delkevic Exhaust  Angle10

I used high temperature silicon sealant and there does not appear to be any leaks. Power is fine, however, I do get the occasional backfire when decelerating. I also installed a K&N Filter so the bike probably needs to be tuned now. Took her for a run last Saturday, Atkinson Dam to Kilcoy via Somerset Dam, Kilcoy to Esk, then Mt Glorious via Wivenhoe Dam and she never missed a beat.

Delkevic Exhaust  Ps11

To my untutored eye the Delkevic exhaust appears to be excellent. It is well made and does what it's supposed to do. When I was picking up a Givi pannier fitting kit at my local bike shop one of their sales representatives commented on how well the style of the Delkevic fitted my bike.

Delkevic Exhaust  Pr12

Can recommend UK Delkevic. Good company to deal with. For AUD$266 landed I am more than happy with the outcome. Having read the post on this forum about the Delkevic Headers I am seriously thinking about making that my next project.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

BanditAL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 27 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

Nice one SK.  I have the CF oval + headers.  You should do the pairs block off to eliminate the popping.  Very easy.  I found that due to the increased air flow, mine was running too lean.  A Power Commander fixed that . The Bandit is a great bike for DIYers.  Relatively cheap parts. Not too Hi tech.  And the benefits are Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ,, Enjoy,\.

ps.  We must organise a ride n meet soon.  Early Oct' would be good for me.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Tue 27 Aug 2013, 2:08 pm

Thanks Hammy!

I'll do some research on blocking off pairs as right now I have no idea what that means. :DLike the part about it being easy though.

The Power Commander is definitely on the list but going to do a few other things first.

October would work for me too mate.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 27 Aug 2013, 6:48 pm

SolomonKane wrote:Thanks Hammy!

I'll do some research on blocking off pairs as right now I have no idea what that means. :DLike the part about it being easy though.

The Power Commander is definitely on the list but going to do a few other things first.

October would work for me too mate.
The hardest thing about the pairs is lifting the tank up or off.  The hose runs down the R/H side as you look down under the tank.  There is a joiner. Unplug it. Block it up. And Wella. Job done.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:56 pm

Actually I found it surprisingly easy to lift the tank when I installed the K&N Filter.

Weird thing was though that there was no O-Ring to remove as instructed. The guy who owned the bike before me had the standard air filter so no idea where the O-Ring went or why.

Sure are a lot of pipes that seem to go nowhere. Later in the week I'll take a look and have a go at doing it.

Thanks mate.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Tue 27 Aug 2013, 9:25 pm

I would look into the power commander sooner rather than later, the bike will definitely be running lean with the removal of the original pipe. Running lean can do all sorts of nasty stuff to the engine -  you can burn valves etc..
Pipe looks great though. I purchased mine with a Yoshi pipe on it and the guy who I purchased it off decided it looked better as a short pipe. He cut it down to about 2/3 it's original length. It looks ok, but just finished installing the Givi panniers to it and I had to make a shield up to stop the gasses from the pipe burning a hole through the Givi case. Now it just looks naff without the panniers hiding the shield.
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 27 Aug 2013, 10:26 pm

Cal wrote:I would look into the power commander sooner rather than later, the bike will definitely be running lean with the removal of the original pipe. Running lean can do all sorts of nasty stuff to the engine -  you can burn valves etc..
Pipe looks great though. I purchased mine with a Yoshi pipe on it and the guy who I purchased it off decided it looked better as a short pipe. He cut it down to about 2/3 it's original length. It looks ok, but just finished installing the Givi panniers to it and I had to make a shield up to stop the gasses from the pipe burning a hole through the Givi case. Now it just looks naff without the panniers hiding the shield.
Wouldn't the ECU with the O2 sensor adjust the mixture?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  watto110 Wed 28 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

A good tuner can get into the stock computer and do as much if not more than with a pcv, unfortunatly i didnt find this out until after i bought and fitted mine.
watto110
watto110

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 28 Aug 2013, 5:51 pm

watto110 wrote:A good tuner can get into the stock computer and do as much if not more than with a pcv....
Bugger - there goes my shares in Dynojet Delkevic Exhaust  Smiley-sad016

Delkevic Exhaust  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Wed 27 Aug 2014, 6:37 pm

madmax wrote:
Cal wrote:I would look into the power commander sooner rather than later, the bike will definitely be running lean with the removal of the original pipe. Running lean can do all sorts of nasty stuff to the engine -  you can burn valves etc..
Wouldn't the ECU with the O2 sensor adjust the mixture?

What is the answer here confused

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 27 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm

My understanding of how the ECU/O2 marriage works is that it is setup from the factory to keep the bike in a releatively stable state of tune.  The stock O2 sensors is a narrowband unit and will only “read” a fairly small range, about 14.2 – 15.2 Air Fuel Ratio (AFR).  Values outside this range will only show as rich or lean.  That is if you are running too rich or too lean then the ECU does not have enough information to correct the state of tune.  

So if the bike remains close to its factory condition, the stock O2 sensor can keep things pretty well on track, however if you start changing multiple inlet/exhaust components, timing etc, then there is the possibility that you can venture outside its range and the ECU can't bring the AFR back into range.

Aftermarket "boxes" can be setup to tune the AFR across the rev range and other parameters such as engine and abient temp and gear selection.  The PCV even has an additional closed loop accessory called an Autotune Kit that makes changes to the fuel map on the fly, it replaces the OEM O2 with a Bosch wideband sensor, virtually a miniture mobile dynotune setup.

Delkevic Exhaust  Dynoje11

And that about exhausts (sorry about that  Smile  ) my limited knowledge of O2 sensors Shocked

Last edited by barry_mcki on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Delkevic Exhaust  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 28 Aug 2014, 5:27 am

barry_mcki wrote:
watto110 wrote:A good tuner can get into the stock computer and do as much if not more than with a pcv....
Bugger - there goes my shares in Dynojet Delkevic Exhaust  Smiley-sad016

Checkout http://woolichracing.com/ they are Brisbane based and have all the tools you need to reprogram your stock ECU, build new maps through auto tune, data logging etc.  Pretty sure I will be going down this road as I can apply the same basic solution to both the gixxer and Bandit...anyone want a 2nd hand PC-V?
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Thu 28 Aug 2014, 5:58 am

Thanks, I think. So just whacking on a slip on may not be such a simple affair with EFI then. There is a fair bit to these EFI bikes it seems. (and a whole  different game to carbs).

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 28 Aug 2014, 6:45 am

1wheeldrive wrote:Thanks, I think. So just whacking on a slip on may not be such a simple affair with EFI then. There is a fair bit to these EFI bikes it seems. (and a whole  different game to carbs).
Just a slip on is fine.  Most of us have done that without drama.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

BanditAL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Thu 28 Aug 2014, 5:56 pm

Good stuff, thanks 2WA just want to get rid of the shiny concrete sewer pipe hanging off it and make it look and sound a bit more respectable. Have been reading a few things that had me in doubt that it was a simple job.
Now just to choose a pipe that doesn't break the bank and looks good! Very Happy

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 28 Aug 2014, 6:26 pm

Before the Yoshi sheep pipe up I have a Beowulf on mine and Delkavics on the VTR1000F.  Other bikes I've owned have had Remus and various others.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down