Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

checking chain tension

+8
jstava
geekay007
Blueknight
paul
2wheelsagain
barry_mcki
gus
fat pete
12 posters

Go down

checking chain tension Empty checking chain tension

Post  fat pete Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

when checking the tension of the drive chain should it be done on the centre stand or should you have someone sitting on the bike and then check tension,thought you might have to do it with some weight on it to replicate going down the road,any help here would be greatly appreciated
fat pete
fat pete

Back to top Go down

checking chain tension Empty Re: checking chain tension

Post  gus Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:36 pm

THEy say with someone sitting on the bike but there is no way I going looking for a helper to check chain tension .
Put it on centerstand and check once ,with someone sitting on it .After that allow + or_ the next time your on your own .
(if its any difference )
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:54 pm

The manual says on the centre stand, not a word about anyone sitting on the bike:

checking chain tension Chain_10

checking chain tension Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  fat pete Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:02 pm

thanks very much fellas,ill follow the advise from barrys workshop manual,i used to always do my old shovelheads adjustment with someone on it,probably was doing it wrong for years...thanks again fellas..
fat pete
fat pete

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 09 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

A caution from me:
I believe the recommend amount of slack isn't enough in my opinion.
String line the bike once then adjust equally from then on.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm

I always do mine on the side stand to allow for the bikes weight & my hand manual which came with the bike also says side stand not center stand ( the workshop manual says center though ................I was always taught side stand ) Just be aware that when you tighten the axle nut it can make your chain go tighter Very Happy

checking chain tension Img01510

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Blueknight Mon 10 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

I was also taught to sit on the bike whilst both wheels are on the ground, lean down and feel the slack in the chain with the weight on the bike. If it needs adjusting, put the bike on the side stand, loosen the axle nut and the adjuster nuts, then using a spanner, turn the hexagon of the adjusters 2 to 3 flats each time, and check the tension again, if the tension feels right, lock the adjusters lock nuts, give the wheel a boot (kick forward whilst holding the back of the bike so you don't boot it off the side stand) to make sure the wheel hasn't moved then tighten the axle nut. That method has worked fine for me for the last 50 years.
Hope you can understand this...
Regards
Paul

Blueknight

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm

Although the manual calls for a centre stand adjustment be careful to check the tension when it's back on the ground. I found it was way too tight, and had to to recheck and adjust several times until it was right. Next time, I'll just do it on the side stand like I used to on my previous sport bikes that had no centre stand. Part of the problem is the idiotic setup of the adjuster bolts. Why they couldn't place them at the back like they used to, I'll never know.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:14 pm

Once you've done it once, you can make an allowance for the additional tension tightening the nut adds, thereafter, you know how much extra slack to allow for.

Back to top Go down

Post  aussie Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:27 pm

If you use a rear bike stand the compression on the rear damper would be similar/same as the bike being on the side stand and the chain adjusters etc would be in a more convenient position - at my age the less I stoop the better.

aussie

Back to top Go down

Post  phill north Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

To adjust the chain to the right tension, before I tighten the main axle nut, I adjust the slack out of the chain till I get about 4cm of slack(this is with the bike on the centre stand) then I shove an old thick piece of rag into the upper part where the chain meets the rear sprocket and I turn the wheel backwards so the rag gets caught in between the chain and the rear sprocket. This causes tension on the chain and sprocket that pulls the whole wheel forward against the adjusters. While I'm doing this I tighten the main wheel nut to almost its full torque. Then I turn the wheel forwards and take the rag out and check for the correct amount of slack. I do the old rag trick because usually when you tighten the main nut the wheel tends to move backwards away from the adjusters which tensions the chain too much. This method gives a more constant slack adjustment.
phill north
phill north

Back to top Go down

Post  fat pete Thu 20 Jun 2013, 12:15 pm

thankyou everyone for your very much appreciated help on this chain tensioning drama that it turned into,,man o man i dont kno how many times that i tried adjusting that bloody chain,,but i got it as good as itll get which aint that great,,i have found out that the chain is stuffed so when i get back from our getaway ill be getting chain and sprockets renewed,again i must thank everyone for their input,its been of the utmost help to me,thankyou..
fat pete
fat pete

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 20 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

"aussieIf you use a rear bike stand the compression on the rear damper would be similar/same as the bike being on the side stand and the chain adjusters etc would be in a more convenient position - at my age the less I stoop the better."

I use a rear swing arm stand when checking the chain tension also, then just add weight to the bike.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

checking chain tension Empty Coincidence?

Post  LouG Sun 04 Aug 2013, 11:17 am

Just finished checking my chain tension (the hard way). I disconnected the dog bones and lifted the rear wheel until the rear axle/swingarm pivot and front sprocket centre were in line. Adjusted chain slack to 5 - 10mm.
Reassembled and rechecked according to the manual - there was 30mm slack by this method.

LouG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum