Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on noisy cam chain?

3 posters

Go down

Advice on noisy cam chain? Empty Advice on noisy cam chain?

Post  Pops Fri 19 Nov 2010, 11:54 am

My 06 1200S has an annoying noisy chain rattle coming from the left side on a cold startup. It does settle down a bit when warm. Is this something to be overly concerned about? Being new to the bike you tend to pickup on worrying noises.
If anyone has experienced the same can you put my mind at ease or should it be dealt with.
Thanks

Red 2015 GSF 1250S
Pops
Pops

Back to top Go down

Advice on noisy cam chain? Empty Re: Advice on noisy cam chain?

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 19 Nov 2010, 12:16 pm

At 22,000km I'd be expecting a bit of noise but if its excessive and you're sure its the cam chain you might want to replace the tensioner.
There is some interesting text with this link that might explain a bit more. http://www.debben.co.uk/acatalog/N1200.html

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Advice on noisy cam chain? Empty I think it's the cam chain.

Post  Pops Fri 19 Nov 2010, 4:11 pm

Thanks 2wheelsagain, I'm guessing thats what it would be only from the location of the noise.
So from your expierence a little bit of rattle is ok??

Red 2015 GSF 1250S
Pops
Pops

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 19 Nov 2010, 4:24 pm

Pops1953 wrote:Thanks 2wheelsagain, I'm guessing thats what it would be only from the location of the noise.
So from your expierence a little bit of rattle is ok??

Mate I've never owned a B1200 and in fact all my road bikes have been water cooled.
The 1200 has a different adjuster (mechanical) to the B1250 so its hard to compare but the info with the link made sense to me.
I guess it all depends on how much "little" is. A reputable bike shop could put your mind at ease.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Fri 19 Nov 2010, 5:23 pm

Hi

I had a cam chain malfunction, but that was on a bike with near enough to 100,000km and a motor that had had some "work" done on it, judging by the amount of top-end it had compared to the standard 2004 engine it has now.

The cam chain is right in the middle of the engine so I'm not sure why you would hear the noise on the left, I've heard some weird and wonderful noises when cold just because they run a bit rough with carbies until they get warmed up and there's lots of stuff in there with backlash etc and no water jacket to absorb some of the noise.

I always put my earplugs in before I start the bike, this solves the problem. lol!

If you are unsure get the valve clearances checked and they can check the cam chain while they have the cylinder head cover off.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Advice on noisy cam chain? Empty Update on noisy cam chain

Post  Pops Wed 22 Dec 2010, 10:21 pm

That wasn't it, thankfully, just had major service done on the 1200s at 22K by Neil Anderson here in Perth. Neil has a great rep locally & has been looking after all my bikes for about 20 yrs. He has put my mind at ease with the noise, apparently it's the alternator which is not unusual & not a noise to be concerned about (it's a Bandit thing). So I'm a happy chappy with a fully serviced bike, apparently not a lot of grease was found on the bits that should have it according to Neil but this is standard of Suzuki from the factory & no longer an issue. Valves & plugs done & running like a dream, feels like a new bike.
Also repacked the Yoshi before delivering to Neil, it has quietened it down but improved the sound & performance.
Seasons greetings to all.

Red 2015 GSF 1250S
Pops
Pops

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum