Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!!

+3
Bhoffo
reddog
Vellies
7 posters

Go down

Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!! Empty Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!!

Post  Vellies Sun 13 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

Well, bikes have a sense of when they are about to go on sale in my house. Happened to me once before.

Got back from a ride this morning, in the driveway at home, stopped, put the kick stand down (or so I thought), lean the bike over, BAM, son of a motherF@#%^Q. On the ground.

2012 GSX1250 FA with damage:
- Broken clutch lever - snapped off where designed to, so can still ride
- Scratched lower fairing panel
- Scratched clutch cover
- Scratched mirror (not enough to worry about)
- Indicator pushed back into fairing (not damaged, I need to work out how I pop it back in, not broken, and still works.

Does anyone have any idea what the repair bill will be (especially, clutch lever, clutch cover and fairing panel).

I wanted to sell this bike in about 2 months (8 months old, 8,600km on it), now, ............... hmmmm, cannot get rid of it quick enough way I am feeling now.

So bloody embarriding taking a dive at stand still in your own driveway Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!! Empty Re: Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!!

Post  reddog Sun 13 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

If you have insurance just call them and leave it to them to sort it out.

If not start looking on Ebay etc for bits
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!! Empty Re: Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!!

Post  Bhoffo Sun 13 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

Did something similar to mine a while back Mad Crying or Very sad ; easy enough to fix the mirror with a little sanding then dab it with black paint on a piece of sponge rubber to give it the mottled look (if its like the 1250s bikini faired model mirror) whack some armourall over it and it will never be noticed..

The clutch cover may take a little more work but can be done using some elbow grease and 'holts' touch up paint from an auto parts shop... (will have to test the colour though).. mine is silver and went over the top of it with a 'clear' spray. Make sure the colour coat is well dry (3 weeks or more after a few rides) before putting the clear coat over though - else the colour may bubble underneath...

Re the fairing... depends on how deep the scratches are... maybe more elbow grease to sand them out, an undercoat, colour coat and the clear again. (probably wouldn't have to wait 3 weeks this time as the fairing doesn't get hot like the engine does!) If there is a line on the fairing where the two colours meet (from the original and the repainted section) maybe think about putting a black line along both sides - or something to disguise it?? Suzuiki sticker or something?? Clutch lever is an easy repair from eBay as mentioned..

Bob's your uncle!

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Sun 13 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-DL1000-V-Strom-GSF1250-S-Bandit-GSF650-Bandit-GSX1400-Brake-Clutch-Levers-/130669093336?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6c7c21d8&_uhb=1#ht_2860wt_1018

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/14115-suzuki-2011--gsx1250fa/assemblies/287040

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  phill north Sun 13 Jan 2013, 5:53 pm

Yup, did the same thing near Cooma NSW. Dropped it onto its left hand side. I was lucky though, no scratches on the fairing, no damage to levers, pushed in the indicator a bit, some slight scratching of the alternator cover and that was it. The indicator takes about 2 mins to pop out again. The full saddle bags I had on the bike took most of the initial impact, (bit like an air bag) and then the bike sort of settled onto its side like a Greek cruise ship. I said the same words you did and more when I couldn't lift the heavy bugger up again by myself.
phill north
phill north

Back to top Go down

Dropped it, at complete stand still !!!!!! Empty Static Fall

Post  GGiant Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

Ouch! A bad experience and the dread for all owners.

Thanks for reminding me to CHECK the Sidestand is actually 'down and locked' (3 greens!). It is easy to overlook down and locked on a new bike, coming off your old one.

To digress: On my WeeStrom I pushed it out from the shed and the lawn was soft so I put a chock of wood under the sidestand to prevent the foot sinking. But the chock was a bit high, and the bike was a bit upright. Later, when I hopped on the bike I dragged my leg over the seat and down went the Wee to the right. A very soft landing crash landing with not a mark though. Still, I felt a real........... and had to get a lift up again from my mate.

Anyway, hope you stay with the Bandit FA. A super machine.

btw a static fall is better than one at 100k, so you are lucky in this sense.

Cheers GGiant.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm

Well join the club done it a couple times now myself, clutch lever and blinker are usually the things that go. I bought 4 blinkers of hammy ( you legend) so solved my blinker problems

Heres a list that should help the next time ya bandit decides it needs a lie down

Crash bars from http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/
Stubby levers
The gus blinker treatment, he shows how you shorten up ya blinkers, stops them breaking in a fall

Other than that just be mindful where you park it, it pisses me off every time it falls over, also what ever you get out of the way cause there bloody heavy

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:52 pm

Thanks fellas, good to know I am not alone.

Got a quote, around $750 to fix it all back to original.

I will fix her up, and then sadly it is time to move on. The Bandit is a great bike, but just not the bike for me.

Next is a Speed Triple, or perhaps a new Triumph Tiger Sport, or, Ducati Monster 1100 Evo or Streetfighter 848. I need (okay, want) something with more "personality", but that's just me. Having lots of fun deciding.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:17 pm

Check out the ktm 990 SMT Niiiiiice tis my next bike
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:18 am

Funny you should say that. Went to test ride a second hand SMT 990 a few weeks back after reading all the rave reviews. Perhaps I got a lemon, but I was not impressed. Had the screaming rear brake problem, felt real dead under 4k, etc. Very comfy though......

Tested the Speed Triple this past weekend, very nice, Ducs this coming weekend. Time will tell.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down