Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on?

+7
reddog
Rustic
Kaupy1962
dhula
barry_mcki
paul
kodde
11 posters

Go down

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? Empty Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on?

Post  kodde Sun 06 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

Hey guys,

I'm contemplating on getting a GSX1250FA this spring and I'm trying to cover all angles. I will partly use it for long distance riding with my girlfriend and I'm curious as to where the passenger can hold on to the bike? At the moment I have a Suzuki Gladius with SW Motech top box rack. The SW Motech racks for this bike has forged handles on the sides for the passenger. On the GSF/GSX it seems to retain it's single handle on the back, but what I can tell from pictures there hardly seems to be any room near the handle once you fit a big top box there. Neither Givi nor SW Motech's top box racks for the GSX1250FA seem to add any extra handles.

Do you guys have any experience or insights to share on this matter?

Thanks guys.

kodde

Back to top Go down

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? Empty Re: Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on?

Post  paul Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:55 pm

I modified the givi mounting to move it back as far as I could & my wife can still use the grab handle ....just .

Last edited by paul on Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? Empty Re: Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on?

Post  barry_mcki Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

The standard grab handle is retained with the Givi boxes on the Bandits, you can also get a back rest to put on the top box if you want. I don't see any need for additional handles, if anything the top box makes it more secure for the passenger. I also found the box seems to have the passenger a little closer, I thought it might have been the Corbin seat though.

Check out some of Kewig's photos on this site or his blog, you can see the setup pretty clearly on his bike.

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  kodde Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply guys,

barry_mcki> What does you passenger say? Is it possible to still grab on to the rear handle with a big givi top box attached?
I had a look at Kewwig's photos. I still think it looks fairly cramped to get your hands there to hold on with the top box attached.

kodde

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:42 am

I don't have a rear pillion with my side car rig, however when I was putting on the top box I sat on the rear part of the seat to judge whether or not to go for the Givi Backrest and decided there wasn't enough room as it was, let alone loosing another inch or so with the extra back piece. Moving the Top Box Plate rearward might help, but then additional stress might be placed on the mounting areas, there are a couple of photos arround that have shown this part of the bike frame subject to fracture.

Can't really say if it is any more or less difficult to reaching behind to grab the handle. If you get the side panniers, especially the V35's, there are handles on those that would be in a fairly comfortable position.

You might also want to consider changing the rear foot peg position, a couple of members have made mention about a slightly more forward arrangement helps, there is a thread or two on that subject on here somewhere.

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:31 am

My kids used to manage without the handle.
They would do one of a couple of things
Place their hands on their thighs
Wrap their arms around me (this is the prefered thing for you and your GF IMO)
Or hang onto these

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? Ad33741c8776304ca30279c8af2958f4

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  kodde Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:49 am

Yeah I'm thinking mostly for the change of posture now and then. She usually holds onto me, but now and then when we ride at slower speed she likes to hold on to the grab rails I have on my Gladius. The belt with handles seems pretty smart, never tried it. Did contemplating getting one of these before, but there was never really the need.

I'm also contemplating the Honda CBF1000FA Mk2 (the 2010- models). The Givi rack for this bike has these grab rails on the sides.

Two up riding with a top box, where does the passenger hold on? 98c21d54855e4e38f93f365da6660208

kodde

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

My wife never holds on. She moves with the bike. Most of the time I can't tell she's there
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

The GSX1250FA is such a smooth and beautiful bike that handles very well, so much so that; 1) you will not know you have a passenger on board, 2) the passengers ride will be such that they have no requirement to hold on. That is of course so long as you're not doing a track day and forget to drop them off... Shocked

I've had passengers on the back that have fallen asleep and if not for the top box would most likely gone over then back, even during smooth aceleration Wink

Have you asked your passenger how they feel or what they would like??? I know of some who place their hands in the riders pockets, wrap around their waist and others that use the grab rails or even rest hands on the side luggage.

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

I have a top box on my bike as well as panniers. I took the pannier racks off and my wife complained next ride that she liked the pannier rails to hang onto so I put them back on. Works as a dual purpose thing if you know what I mean. Holding on at the side is much easier for the pillion than the grab handle behind.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:20 pm

Pannier rails work if the side cases aren't fitted. If she's cute, hands around the waist. If not, leave her behind Twisted Evil

I use the Oxford handles for my young son

Last edited by kewwig on Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

As a pillion for over 10 years on the back of hubby's bikes not a bandit but a Honda CB1300 and an earlier Honda I have never used the grab rail once. I find hanging onto his waist or not handing on at all was the most comfortable. Now that he has a Harley (sorry Cam for using a dirty word) it's all comfort.
Linda
Linda

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

kewwig wrote: If she's cute, hands around the waist. If not, leave her behind Twisted Evil

My answer exactly. My wife doesn't hold on, she just sits there, I don't even know she is there until she gets lazy and i brake hard....
She only weighs 52kg and I'm 120kg so that may have something to do with it.....

Back to top Go down

Post  kodde Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:17 am

Thanks for all your input guys. It's nice get get different peoples opinion on the matter. I'm thankful if anyone else has more feedback to give.

kodde

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

My pillion (son) rarely if ever holds on to me or the bike. I do sometimes forget he's there, that is until he head butts me in the back (actually helmet these days) when he falls asleep.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum