Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange front tyre wear

+5
Cloggy
reddog
Ewok1958
gus
NZspokes
9 posters

Go down

Strange front tyre wear Empty Strange front tyre wear

Post  NZspokes Sat 25 Aug 2012, 5:47 am

My front tyre has worn heavily on the right side but the left side is ok. Why would this be?
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Strange front tyre wear Empty Re: Strange front tyre wear

Post  gus Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:33 am

Yep ,they do that .Road camber ,move to the States and wear out the other side to even it out . Very Happy Some tyres worse than others .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:55 am

Yeah, been doing some reading on it and it sounds like your right. Close to new tyres time. Not sure how old they were when I got the bike but ive done 6k on her. May try PR3s this time. Like to have something that lasts, sticks and costs next to nothing. rabbit
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 8:26 am

gus wrote:Yep ,they do that .Road camber ,move to the States and wear out the other side to even it out . Very Happy Some tyres worse than others .
Possibly exacerbated in Canberra by our large number of roundabouts - unless that's an old wive's tale.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

What sort of tyres? I get pretty even wear over here in WA. They still scollop on the front though, once they are worn out the profile looks kind of like an arrow.

PR's will get you double that mileage btw around 11 - 12000. Bridgestone fronts should last around 10000kms.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sun 26 Aug 2012, 6:28 pm

It had Avon Storm ultra 2s. Now has a PR2 on the front. Wow what a change.

But when they took the old tyre off there were holes where it had gone through the tread to the carcus. I could have lost the tyre..... affraid
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloggy Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:14 pm

Tyres wearing unevenly and more on the RH side than the LH side has nothing to do with camber of the roads. Yes in countries where they ride on the other side they wear out the LH side more than the RH side.
This is due to the fact we do more miles around RH corners than LH corners. When the road rules dictate we ride on the LH side, LH turns are much shorter than RH turns. When over in the States, the opposite applies. That is what causes the RH side on our tyres to wear faster.
Cloggy
Cloggy

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 9:01 pm

Cloggy wrote:Tyres wearing unevenly and more on the RH side than the LH side has nothing to do with camber of the roads. Yes in countries where they ride on the other side they wear out the LH side more than the RH side.
This is due to the fact we do more miles around RH corners than LH corners. When the road rules dictate we ride on the LH side, LH turns are much shorter than RH turns. When over in the States, the opposite applies. That is what causes the RH side on our tyres to wear faster.
I'm impressed Cloggy by your knowledge [NO sarcasm meant!!!], and better informed.
Will make me sound very knowlegable when I am next having a chat over a coffee break on a ride with my mates - unless you have done an Apple and taken out a patent on that bit of knowledge - please don't sue me!

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 30 Aug 2012, 9:10 pm

1952 wrote:
Cloggy wrote:Tyres wearing unevenly and more on the RH side than the LH side has nothing to do with camber of the roads. Yes in countries where they ride on the other side they wear out the LH side more than the RH side.
I'm impressed Cloggy by your knowledge [NO sarcasm meant!!!], and better informed.
Will make me sound very knowlegable when I am next having a chat over a coffee break on a ride with my mates - unless you have done an Apple and taken out a patent on that bit of knowledge - please don't sue me!

I would have quit at sarcasm. Rolling Eyes

Your theory is fine for street riding but doesn't hold up out of town where roads flow equally left and right does it? Wink

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 30 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

I've had too many reds to sort that one out tonight drunken Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloggy Fri 31 Aug 2012, 4:46 am

[quote="2wheelsagain"][quote="1952"]
Cloggy wrote:
Your theory is fine for street riding but doesn't hold up out of town where roads flow equally left and right does it? Wink

The same applies out on the open road. Even on nice gently kurves and bends in the road, you travel less distance on the "inside" line of the bend than on the "outside" line.
Cloggy
Cloggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloggy Fri 31 Aug 2012, 4:52 am

1952 wrote:

I can't take the credit for this one. I too was perplexed by why my tyres always wear faster on the RH side and did not believe it was caused by camber on the road. So I searched the internet.
I found a very good webpage with pictures etc to explain the tyre wear due to different distance travelled on LH and RH sides. In a bit of rush to get to work at the moment but I'll have a look tonight to find the link and post it here.
Cloggy
Cloggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloggy Fri 31 Aug 2012, 2:43 pm

Here you go, this is the link where I got my information from. I think it explains tyre wear quite well and why it is unlikely that the camber on the road causes uneven tyre wear.
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/
Cloggy
Cloggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Fri 31 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

Cloggy wrote:Here you go, this is the link where I got my information from. I think it explains tyre wear quite well and why it is unlikely that the camber on the road causes uneven tyre wear.
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

I have read something similiar to this. Makes sense to me. If you look at the angle of wear of the tyre, there is no way it matches the road camber. it would if you ride on a velodrome. Smile

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down