Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Up Dog Bones

+7
ohmyfj55
Re-Cycled
Hammy
woodywoodpecker
gus
mtbeerwah
Boatz
11 posters

Go down

Jack Up Dog Bones Empty Jack Up Dog Bones

Post  Boatz Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:53 pm

Has anyone fitted these or got an opinion on any good or bad reasons for using them.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Jack Up Dog Bones Empty Re: Jack Up Dog Bones

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm

if you lift the rear to high, and i mean alot,you will lose high speed stability, but if you lift it around 25mm,you affectively shorten the wheel base,which quickens the stearing,and the height also allows for more lean angle on corners
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 12 Jun 2012, 5:26 am

Ive played around a lot with them .I'll report tonight .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  woodywoodpecker Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:43 am

Hi mate i just put some gsxr1000 k3 dog bones on my 1250 and they raised the rear 35mm, i already had them sitting in my garage so thought i would try them and they are deff staying on the bike now. My bike corners great no probs with hispeed stability Very Happy

woodywoodpecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

woodywoodpecker wrote:Hi mate i just put some gsxr1000 k3 dog bones on my 1250 and they raised the rear 35mm, i already had them sitting in my garage so thought i would try them and they are deff staying on the bike now. My bike corners great no probs with hispeed stability Very Happy

Who are You ??
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 12 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

Hammy wrote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:Hi mate i just put some gsxr1000 k3 dog bones on my 1250 and they raised the rear 35mm, i already had them sitting in my garage so thought i would try them and they are deff staying on the bike now. My bike corners great no probs with hispeed stability Very Happy

Who are You ??

Yes. Would you trust a stranger with a prosthetic pecker? Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:45 pm

This is what i found .
I welded up one end of the standard dog bones and re drilled the hole 7mm CLOSER TOGETHER .This lifted the rear 35 mm..S0 1mm=5mm lift .
The bike turned great .BUT Side stand now too short without worrying about it .Straight line ride was twitchy but the worst thing my legs were
too short for reverse gear (i'm not short)It was only a matter of time till i dropped it so i had to try again .
Re-welded same end of dog bones and re-drilled (12mm) 4mm closer than standard 4mm = 20mm lift .
Happy medium (for me ) still had to attach 40mm block to sidestand to get angle right .I used a piece of nylon
Is it worth doing ,probably not .A bandit is never going to handle like a sports bike , but i'm happy .
Personally 15-20mm lift is all i'd go .Thats the holes 3-4mm CLOSER together .
I think they were TIG welded .I didnt do them myself .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

personally for me,i think so that when the bike is on the centre stand,the wheel just misses touching the ground so it can still be used` which on the gen 2 is 25mm raise
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

Forgot about that .Your right ,a 30mm lift makes the tyre refitting a scratch pig with centre stand .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Jack Up Dog Bones Empty rear lift

Post  ohmyfj55 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 2:45 pm

Hi All,

I remember Buelllord fitted a 20mm lift kit to the rear of his and he was most happy with it, a great compromise.

cheers,
Nathan
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sun 01 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

My bikes got a Hyabusa shock, not sure if the dogbone has been changed but it seems to sit a bit higher at the back. I get a bit of headshake If I take both hands of the bars. But it handles well. I wouldnt mind her a little lower though.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Jul 2012, 5:57 pm

NZspokes wrote:My bikes got a Hyabusa shock, not sure if the dogbone has been changed but it seems to sit a bit higher at the back. I get a bit of headshake If I take both hands of the bars. But it handles well. I wouldnt mind her a little lower though.

You could try fitting roller headstem bearings & loading them up a bit more / did that on a yammy I had once & that helped ( assuming your tires & headstem bearings are A OK now & not the cause )

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 01 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

with the hayabusa shock,and on the centre stand,you should have about a maxium of 5mm from tyre to ground,if its alot bigger gap,then the links have been changed, and also they`d be an after market link which wouldn`t have the factory markings on them
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:14 pm

NZspokes wrote:My bikes got a Hyabusa shock, not sure if the dogbone has been changed but it seems to sit a bit higher at the back. I get a bit of headshake If I take both hands of the bars. But it handles well. I wouldnt mind her a little lower though.

I don't know if you have a top-box, but that can cause the problem you describe.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Mon 02 Jul 2012, 5:33 am

mtbeerwah wrote:with the hayabusa shock,and on the centre stand,you should have about a maxium of 5mm from tyre to ground,if its alot bigger gap,then the links have been changed, and also they`d be an after market link which wouldn`t have the factory markings on them

I can just get my fingers under the tyre.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  buelllord Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

ohmyfj55 wrote:Hi All,

I remember Buelllord fitted a 20mm lift kit to the rear of his and he was most happy with it, a great compromise.

cheers,
Nathan

Nathan you are quite right, I lifted mine 20mm and I often wonder why the factory didn't do this from the start. It now steers like a GSX-R and you still have about 3mm clearance under the rear tyre when it is on the centre stand.

I have now fitted an Ohlins rear shock as the original started to loose its damping around 40,000kms and what a difference it makes. I always though that the rear shock was quite good and in some respects it is. The Ohlins has made me realise just how harsh the stock stock was, WA roads are not exactly smooth but the Ohlins has made a world of difference to the ride quality.

buelllord
buelllord
buelllord

Back to top Go down

Jack Up Dog Bones Empty Hey Buelllord

Post  ohmyfj55 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:53 pm

Thanks for that Buelllord,

Will look into the Ohlins option. Just had to readjust the settings on the front forks, as well as soften the shock and back off the rear spring. Had a ton of rain up here in Nth Qld and a lot of the local roads are badly rutted.

Have you changed your fork oil by now with that 40,000klms? Wondering if at 14,500 it may need doing as it is just over four years old.

Just about ready to go the braided lines and new pads, from memory you fitted the EBC HH's yeah? Just starting to loose feel on the front brake. How's that TL going?

Nat
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Jack Up Dog Bones Empty Hey ohmyfj55

Post  rolls Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

HI Nat,
I put braided lines and EBC HH pads on my K4. Stops well as expected, but the rear squeals loudly. I have taken the pads out twice now and tried a couple of fixes, but the noise persists. I have read that the HH pads in the rear are notorious for squealing, and that GSXR1000 rear pads have a sintered compound like the HH pads, but don't squeal.

Tony.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Jack Up Dog Bones Empty Ah, the gsxr pads

Post  ohmyfj55 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the hint regarding the gsxr pads, will look into it. Where did you end up getting your braided lines from? When I first priced them from HEL lines in Brisbane it was about $500, though I see someone else mentioned around $125 from the U.K.

Glad to see the Bandit forum expanding with new members.

Thanks again,
Nat
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 24 Jul 2012, 8:33 pm

i`ve got 01-02 gix pads in my front(gen 2 bandit,these won`t fit gen 2.5 or gen3 model) and they are much better than the bandit pad.same shape,different compound. as long as its the same calliper as yours that just so happens to match a more high performance bike.(you will have to research this) check the part No: against the bandit,if different,should have a different compound.

my 03 matches early busa,gix 1000 and sv1000,and all have different compound
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  buelllord Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

ohmyfj55 wrote:Thanks for that Buelllord,

Will look into the Ohlins option. Just had to readjust the settings on the front forks, as well as soften the shock and back off the rear spring. Had a ton of rain up here in Nth Qld and a lot of the local roads are badly rutted.

Have you changed your fork oil by now with that 40,000klms? Wondering if at 14,500 it may need doing as it is just over four years old.

Just about ready to go the braided lines and new pads, from memory you fitted the EBC HH's yeah? Just starting to loose feel on the front brake. How's that TL going?

Nat

Hi mate,

Just changed changed my fork oil for the second time now the bike is at 50,000kms. I used 10wt Silkolene 140mm from the the top and it really does make a difference.

I fitted braided lines to mine and in all honesty, I reckon it was a very small gain for a lot of effort. The EBC HH's on the other hand made a heap of difference.

It's actually a 2007 SV1000 which also highly modified.

buelllord
buelllord
buelllord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down