Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wet weather gear

+8
b12mick
boomer
2wheelsagain
NTBill
sb1250
chips
madmax
mtbeerwah
12 posters

Go down

Wet weather gear Empty Wet weather gear

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:42 pm

Who thinks they have good wet weather gear?

For the past 7years, i`ve used Dririder one piece overalls. I like them alot. Not only do I use them in the wet,but in the winter, they also act as an excellent wind breaker. I only use/carry them when on journeys, not around town,as they are a pain in the arse to get on and off. The only other problem,if it is a problem,is when passing through towns on journeys,and having to drop back to city limits on very hot days,you get just as wet from sweat as you do from rain,but that is in extreme conditions(always where a camel back) but when back to open road again,they`re good.

Whats everybody use?
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Wet weather gear Empty Re: Wet weather gear

Post  madmax Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm

I have 2 dririder jackets a winter one and a summer one (air ride 2) both have been good in the rain.
Dririder boots - I was the only one on my tassie ride with dry feet
Scorpion winter gloves - absolutely crap, soaked right through in a couple of hours of rain
For pants I have been using a pair of anaconda overpants - there ok where the water can run off but if it pools on them. as in around your crotch it soaks right through.

So I'm looking for new winter gloves and better overpants

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm

my winter/rain gloves are 5 hole? They made golf gloves before bike gloves. They are SOOOOOOOOO comfy....

I have a dri rider air ride 2 (or whatever they are called) for summer
and a spyke jacket for rain/winter.... I love my spyke jacket, just wish I could get a second one for when this one wears out but I can't find them anymore....

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:03 am

mtbeerwah wrote:Who thinks they have good wet weather gear? ...... Whats everybody use?

NOT me! I carry a spare set of clothes whenever rain is forecast! Ive got/use the one piece Dri-rider wet weathers. They are hit and miss for me. Ive never had an experience where these wet weathers have worked 100%. I have to take time and make sure the flappy bit sits flat before the velcro is done up, starting low and carefully working my way up making sure the velcro joins perfectly flat - otherwise water finds its way in. The knee area is also fiddly. If I dont take time and make sure the knee area is a "little baggy", when I sit on the bike the knee stretches the dri-rider material and water gets in. scratch
Note:-I wear these wet weathers over full leathers, and my "seeping" issues have happened with new, and old dri-rider one piece.
Also note:- I maybe completely uncoordinated and should be grateful I can find a leg hole in my jocks each morning! Shocked Shocked Smile Very Happy

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:57 am

I use a moto dry jacket (air blade) which has a good rain liner that doesn't have to be zipped in. R-jay over pants and it keeps me dry In the heaviest of monsoon bursts. I ride every day and as i type this it's firkin pissing down outside. I'm leaving soon....my dr rider Nordic boots are good for about a year and a half before they start leaking so may try Rossis next. I've been tolerating wet feet for a while now and just take a spare pair of socks for work. Biggest problem in the tropics is with intermittent rain cos when the sun comes out, wet weather gear steams up real quick. Monsoon is ok cos it's relatively cool (23-26) Smile

Any comments on Rossis for keeping water out? Preferences over Rossis or vica Verca?
Bill.
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:58 am

sb1250 wrote:
Also note:- I maybe completely uncoordinated and should be grateful I can find a leg hole in my jocks each morning! Shocked Shocked Smile Very Happy

I'm grateful I find 2 leg holes each morning Twisted Evil Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  boomer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:24 am

I have a few bits for wet weather - depending upon the trip distance & time of year.

first there's the 1 piece - it's not dryrider, but I can't for the life of me remember the brand! it's good for keeping dry, but as well as it keeps the water out, it keeps the sweat in!

for my everyday riding I have a Clover jacket which is 3 layer & advertised as a 4 seasons jacket. it is bloody good - but it should be for the price!

i also have an alpinestars 2 piece wet weather set purchased from ridersdiscount. they have been the best thing that i ever purchased! it's fantastic for keeping dry, & i've never come to the end of a ride with a wet crotch wearing them! the jacket has been used to block wind to keep warm, & i also keep the pants in the rear pocket of the Clover jacket so that I've always got complete coverage.

boots are Gaerne, & gloves are Alpinestars - have never had wet feet or hands! the trick with the gloves is to establish whether or not your arms are leaning up or down when on the bars - if they're downwards then put the jacket over the top of the gloves, otherwise the water will run off the sleeves & into the gloves.

FarRider #412

Wet weather gear Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

http://www.scottspics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:07 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
sb1250 wrote:

I'm grateful I find 2 leg holes each morning Twisted Evil Laughing

WTF - there's 2 leg holes now? Shocked Shocked .............................. lol!

I'd better add that my footware consists of Alpinestar winter boots that only slightly leak around the gear selector pad area (coz they're 4+ years old and used everyday), and my gloves are dri-rider with the window wiper on the left index finger. These gloves are ok so far, but a bastard to get off, and back on in any sort of a hurry.

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

I have a pair of Motodry over pants that are close to the best I've ever had. The jacket I have has a water proof liner which in itself works reasonably well, but not brilliantly in heavy rain.

I had a driRider one piece rain suit years ago. I found that unless I did up the velcro perfectly it leaked, plus it was a pain in the arse to put on and take off.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:51 pm

how do you delete a post? I did the below comment twice by accident and couldn`t delete one

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:55 pm

for those of you with the one piece dririder,your correct with the velcro,if you don`t set it up right it will leak,i`ve had this happen once only cause I rushed,but usually take time and do it right and it never leaks,Its also an over sized set to go over everything and never stretches

for those with a two piece that swear by it,and never get wet even in the most exstreme conditions,how does it "seal" in the "join" to prevent leaks, I just can`t get my head around how a join between two garments wont leak in the most extreme conditions over a 6hr period on the hi-way?

I know that sounds like a contradiction,as I have to seal the front of my one piece.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  grahame Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

A car? Nah wheres the fun in that. Got myself some wet weather pants off ebay for 100 bux plus my motodry jacket. Pants are bloody hot though when slow moving
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:for those of you with the one piece dririder,your correct with the velcro,if you don`t set it up right it will leak,i`ve had this happen once only cause I rushed,but usually take time and do it right and it never leaks,Its also an over sized set to go over everything and never stretches

for those with a two piece that swear by it,and never get wet even in the most exstreme conditions,how does it "seal" in the "join" to prevent leaks, I just can`t get my head around how a join between two garments wont leak in the most extreme conditions over a 6hr period on the hi-way?

I know that sounds like a contradiction,as I have to seal the front of my one piece.

Ya wear your over pants like your father (if you're 50+) or your grandfather ( if you're less then 50) used to. The top bit then well covers the bottom and not a drop of h20 will pass. Trust me it works. I've ridden in tropical storms that dump 100mm per hour for over ahour and it's all good. My old dririder boots could carry goldfish tho....
Bill
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:50 pm

I have a two piece dry rider vortex the only time ive really ridden in the rain was a isolated storm with the wetliner out and the vents open it was anything but a dry rider

As for one piece anything the fire brigade gave us rescue overalls as part of our kit always found them to be a bastard to get out of in a emergency no 2 call

My next lot of gear is going to be all gortex damn the expense
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:I have a two piece dry rider vortex the only time ive really ridden in the rain was a isolated storm with the wetliner out and the vents open it was anything but a dry rider

You're doing it wrong... clown
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  boomer Sun 04 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

NTBill wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:

Ya wear your over pants like your father (if you're 50+) or your grandfather ( if you're less then 50) used to. The top bit then well covers the bottom and not a drop of h20 will pass. Trust me it works. I've ridden in tropical storms that dump 100mm per hour for over ahour and it's all good. My old dririder boots could carry goldfish tho....
Bill

what Bill said! I have some braces that I use on the pants to keep them up high enough under the jacket.

here's the links for what I have, & from the places that I purchased them:

firstly the Alpinestars overpants & jacket:
http://ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/raingear/10322.php
http://ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/raingear/10341.php

& the Clover jacket
http://www.picturemerollin.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_109&products_id=624

FarRider #412

Wet weather gear Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 04 Mar 2012, 3:45 am

Bloody hell hey..the clover jacket, after reading the ad,it does everything. It even has balistic material for when I get shot.But if its as good as the ad ,it might be worth a look. It certainly isn`t cheap though.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

NTBill wrote:
Jimcoleman wrote:I have a two piece dry rider vortex the only time ive really ridden in the rain was a isolated storm with the wetliner out and the vents open it was anything but a dry rider

yes bill but all around that 1 big black nasty cloud was a 30 degree day and it was only a 10 minute down pour but it was really heavy

sunny
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:58 am

Jimcoleman wrote:
NTBill wrote:

yes bill but all around that 1 big black nasty cloud was a 30 degree day and it was only a 10 minute down pour but it was really heavy

sunny

Haha, have done similar myself numourous times. Thought I might get lucky and miss the storm only to find my built in weather radar was well off the mark. Smile
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  boomer Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:42 am

mtbeerwah wrote:Bloody hell hey..the clover jacket, after reading the ad,it does everything. It even has balistic material for when I get shot.But if its as good as the ad ,it might be worth a look. It certainly isn`t cheap though.

no, it isn't cheap, & friends have told me that the jackets they have do the job too, but I can only comment on what I have used.
the only part of the jacket that has been "tested" is it's water resistance, which was faultless.
as for it's abrasion resistance, I hope to never need to find out cheers

FarRider #412

Wet weather gear Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

Well all I can say is most if not all my gear suffered epic fails yesterday.

Ixon Climber overpants, most of the time they are waterproof and with the winter liner in, work well in a Canberra winter. Yesterday, a brief ride to the local shops and back, I could feel the water coursing down my legs. Not sure if it was caused by my top channelling water down my front and if I was sitting too close to the tank or something else.

My Alipine Stars SMX5 waterproof boots haven't been for the last few weeks. Usually it's only 1 boot around the toes, but last night, both feet were swimming. A combination of toe box leakage and plastic over pants, which incidentally leaked from crotch to knee. The can of water proofer has been judiciously used on said pants. Boots will be next, when they dry out enough.

Back up boots, Teknic Violator WPs were replaced due to wear and leakage, but they weren't as bad as the SMX5's. Maybe it's just a case of the gear being in constant use and dampness that made them fail, all I know is I like to ride in the wet, but only when my gear keeps me dry.

Knowing my luck, all the gear will work flawlessly next time I need it, just to keep buggering around with me.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

Re Rossi boots (page 1 of this thread) they filled up with water in Peru in January during a patch of weather that turned from rain to sleet and then snow at about 3,000m altitude and about 3 degrees below.

The Dririder lightweight waterproof rain jacket worked well over my heavy Jackson Racing Tourmaster jacket(http://www.jacksonracing.com.au/?bcsi_scan_3CB14DF0471C3DC0=0 that's me in the first photo, their jackets are top notch), but I neglected to take any waterproof pants so I can't recommend denim as a viable waterproofing agent. And when snow cakes up and drops into your crotch, I can't recommend that either...Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BTW, one of the best things I have found for wet weather is to store a few plastic bags from the local fruit and veg - in heavy weather loosely fit one over each glove and tuck into your jacket sleeve and your gloves will stay dry a lot longer, and they also reduce the wind chill. Worked a treat for me in Peru.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down