Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjusting Tyre Pressures

+5
gus
kewwig
2wheelsagain
Hammy
2010banditsa
9 posters

Go down

Adjusting Tyre Pressures Empty Adjusting Tyre Pressures

Post  2010banditsa Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

Easy one here- has anyone seen any 90 degree bends or something similar to attach to the tyre valve to enable filling up at servos with the new type air fillers, annoys the crap outa me every time i try. I know ppl fill up at home with a compressor and the old style attachments, but surely i dont need all that crap to add a bit of air?
2010banditsa
2010banditsa

Back to top Go down

Adjusting Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Adjusting Tyre Pressures

Post  Hammy Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:45 am

Yes. You can buy 90 degree valve stems. My partner has them on her bike. Just make sure that you keep them nice and tight or else they can leak.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

Mate get down to super cheap and get a 12v compressor and a gauge for about $40.
Mine is a screw on fitting and with the smaller hose its easy enough.
No point checking pressures at the servo as there will already be heat in the tyre and who knows how accurate the things are anyway.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:05 pm

2010banditsa wrote:Easy one here- has anyone seen any 90 degree bends or something similar to attach to the tyre valve to enable filling up at servos with the new type air fillers, annoys the crap outa me every time i try. I know ppl fill up at home with a compressor and the old style attachments, but surely i dont need all that crap to add a bit of air?

3 options. One is to get right angle stems fitted next tire change. I always remember after the tyre is fitted. The second is to buy a removable right angle valve from a bicycle shop and carry it in your toolkit. I use this, and it's cheap and easy. (In fact I carry a repair kit in my topbox and keep the adapter in that).

I fill the tyre 2 psi over, as the adapter leaks out some air whilst unscrewing it (I find I lose 2 psi so it's perfect once I get it off). I carry a digital gauge to make sure the servo gauge is OK.

The third option is buying a compressor, but the adapter is cheaper.

Next tyre change I am going to remember right angle stems!!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:08 pm

kewwig wrote:
2010banditsa wrote:Easy one here- has anyone seen any 90 degree bends or something similar to attach to the tyre valve to enable filling up at servos with the new type air fillers, annoys the crap outa me every time i try. I know ppl fill up at home with a compressor and the old style attachments, but surely i dont need all that crap to add a bit of air?

3 options. One is to get right angle stems fitted next tire change. I always remember after the tyre is fitted. The second is to buy a removable right angle valve from a bicycle shop and carry it in your toolkit. I use this, and it's cheap and easy. (In fact I carry a repair kit in my topbox and keep the adapter in that).

I fill the tyre 2 psi over, as the adapter leaks out some air whilst unscrewing it (I find I lose 2 psi so it's perfect once I get it off). I carry a digital gauge to make sure the servo gauge is OK.

But checking and adjusting at the servo is still bullshit.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:18 pm

Given I am at a servo about every 230km, it's easy. I am too miserable to buy a compressor.

The adapter I use is for sale here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-tire-valve-stem-extension-right-angle-/250913565021?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6b9d295d#ht_500wt_668
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

Or you could buy a Spoked wheeled Bonnie .That way you will never complain about the Bandit tyres EVER AGAIN .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm

I just use a cycle pump to top my tyres up. ($25 from cycle web based shop).

I can check them in the garage cold and adjust them accordingly. And pump fitting easily fits the tyre valve.
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:15 pm

I rock these Ariete 90 degree valves Adjusting Tyre Pressures 54CF15E0B0C752865A68560654526275

I also have a cheap compressor in my shed and a decent oxford digital tyre guage in my top box (but it'd fit under the seat if you tried)
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 26 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

Doesnt your servo have one of those air machines that go beep ,beep when it reaches the right presure .A long hose and a TINY connection .
Bandit wheels are easy . I dont think the back one could be any easier Question Front one 3 sec. longer .
Those long steel connection with the guage belong on "Antique Road Show " .Find a good servo. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

reddog wrote:I rock these Ariete 90 degree valves Adjusting Tyre Pressures 54CF15E0B0C752865A68560654526275

I also have a cheap compressor in my shed and a decent oxford digital tyre guage in my top box (but it'd fit under the seat if you tried)

I like the look of those. The EBay link I find is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-Angled-Aluminum-Tire-Valve-Stems-GSXR-CBR-YZF-R1-R6-RR-600-1000-BLACK-/160670946972?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2568bc169c#ht_3753wt_932

Have you fitted them to your bandit and are they the 11.3 mm ones? Any issues with fitting?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

I'm going to get right angled valves fitted when I get next set of tyres. Till then I bought a right angled adapter from a Kawasaki dealer for $12 & leave it under the seat. Saw them on the MCAS web site under - "Tyre Accessories - Valve extension 90 degrees - $10.15 "

Cheers,

Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:50 am

@Kewwig: Yeah they are the right ones. They fit all Jap bikes.

I didn't fit them, but they are pretty easy to fit. I left it up to the tyre fitter to sort them whilst the tyre was off. Now I have a bead breaker and all the tools to do it myself these days, so I'd do my next set no problem.

I have mine angled to the right of the bike so your hands don't get anywhere near the chain and sticky chain lube.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
kewwig wrote:

But checking and adjusting at the servo is still bullshit.

Check your pressure before you leave home. Make a mental note of how far under it is, lets say 5psi for arguments sake. Ride to the servo, check pressure, put in 5psi, re check pressure. Done.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  2010banditsa Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

ok chaps, thank you, i obviously didnt look hard enough, although i tried all the big auto stores. Just for the record, i have the same prob with the wheelbarrow, so maybe a comp not such a bad idea.
2010banditsa
2010banditsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down