Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa

+4
Reardo
Bhoffo
Silver
phill north
8 posters

Go down

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa Empty Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa

Post  phill north Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

Go to http://www.gsx650f.biz/
I posted the install of the stebel on 650 site. Its in the 2nd page of the GSX650F forum section. There are pretty pictures as well. I posted the install pictures on the 650 site because it is just so easy to do. I just can't seem to get my pictures to show up on this 1200/1250 site!

phill north
phill north

Back to top Go down

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa Empty horn installation

Post  Silver Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

Hi Phil,

Just received delivery of my new horn & was wondering where to place it & about the wiring issues - your post is invaluable.

Thanks for making the effort to compile it - it makes it so much easier for no-electrical guys like me.

Well done, mate.

Silver

Pyramid Rear Hugger
Eagle screen

1939 Acme 125cc
1974 Yamaha TY
Silver
Silver

Back to top Go down

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa Empty Re: Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa

Post  phill north Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:26 am

Thanks for the thanks Silver. I'm pleased that the post was usefull to you. I've modified things a bit since that install. The fuse holder I used originally had a 10 amp fuse in it which I thought was enough, but no, the 10 amp went pop after a while because when the stebel air compressor starts to spin up it sucks more than 10 amps. So 20 amp fuse and so far no probs.
This also got me thinking. The fact that you only know the stebels not working is when you need it, like when a car changes lanes onto you, I decided to extend the original horn wires and tap in a small switch which I hid under the fairing ( attach the switch to the fairing frame with a few pull ties. ). The extra wires and switch bypass the Stebel relay and Stebel air horn so if either die you simply reach under the fairing and flip the switch and you then have the original horn working (which is still better than nothing). It also means you can have original suzuki horn and the stebel working at the same time if you want to.
So far the stebel has saved me from very difficult and life threatening situations twice, so its been worth the small cost.
phill north
phill north

Back to top Go down

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa Empty Stebel horn instal

Post  Silver Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:12 pm

Hi Phil,

Once again, thanks for the info - that's a good tip re the switch - I'll get one & do the job tomorrow when it';s both cooler & raining - good day to be in the garage.

Cheers,

Silver

Pyramid Rear Hugger
Eagle screen

1939 Acme 125cc
1974 Yamaha TY
Silver
Silver

Back to top Go down

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa Empty Stebel horn instal

Post  Silver Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:01 pm

Hi Phil,

Just wanted to thanks you once again for a great post on the installation.

I printed your post & followed your instructions (especially the wiring diagram, which was an absolute Godsend for a self-confessed electrical luddite like me) - it all worked perfectly. Good sound, too.

As an endnote; following your tip re a backup in case of failure, I unplugged the original horn connectors but left them intact & made up some simple 'connector/extention leads' to the relay so if the Stebel packs up I can re-connect to original.

Cheers,

Silver

Pyramid Rear Hugger
Eagle screen

1939 Acme 125cc
1974 Yamaha TY
Silver
Silver

Back to top Go down

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa Empty Re: Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa

Post  Bhoffo Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

Looks like a good idea to me - I've looked on the other site and read the instructions etc but can't quite make out the particular horn you installed... are you able to provide a model number etc?? Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Silver Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Bhoffo wrote:Looks like a good idea to me - I've looked on the other site and read the instructions etc but can't quite make out the particular horn you installed... are you able to provide a model number etc?? Question

G'day Bhoffo,

I tossed out the paperwork but it's a Stebel 'Compact'. I must say, the horn has really helped in a couple of situations - well worth the money & the work!

Click on this link - there's one for sale now:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-Motor-Bike-Air-Horn-Black-139dB-12-volt-Motorcycle-Loud-/120870413057?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c24702301#ht_2110wt_1092

Good luck.

Silver

Pyramid Rear Hugger
Eagle screen

1939 Acme 125cc
1974 Yamaha TY
Silver
Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

Thanks Silver...

Is your bike the 'Naked' or partly faired version... just wondering how it ill all fit under the fairing?? Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

Hope this help.

phill north wrote:Installed a stebel air horn (the semi waterproof type) on the 1250FA. Had to make a small mounting bracket out of some cheap metal from Bunnings hardware that had good tensile strength. All you do is bolt the bracket onto the bike, bolt the horn onto the bracket and twist and push the horn around to position you want, ie not touching the forks or the fairing. Take note of where everything is, the take horn and brackets off, and rustproof the brackets with some sort of rust paint, (I used rust paint and then put electrical heat shrink wrap around the brackets).
I installed it on the left side of the bike and to keep most of the wiring simple and short (I used 4mm 20amp automotive wire, Black for negative, red for positive, keeps it simple.) I attached the stebel relay that comes with the kit onto the horn with another small bracket. the only long wire will be the positive wire from the battery.
You must install a relay with this horn. If you don't, and just attach the original horn wires straight onto the air horn, you will destroy the horn button contacts up in the switch block on the handlebar.
Also, buy a waterproof 20Amp fuse holder and install it close to the battery (see later pictures). I found that the best place is under the left hand side panelbecause its easy to get off if you do blow a fuse. Go crazy with the pull ties when putting your wiring in so no wiring touches anything hot. I just ran my main positive wire along the main wiring loom from the battery to the horn relay.
The newer model stebel horn has a better mounting system than the older models, but I still find that pull ties wraped around the horn and onto the frame give you better peice of mind that the horn isn't going to go "walkabout" inside the fairing somewhere they are also easy to cut off and cheap to replace when services of the bike may reqire the horn to be removed.
To stop the bolts from vibrating loose you can use lock washers or locktight fluid on the threads. This model stebel seems to point more forward than the older model. I like to leave the original horn on the bike just in case the relay or stebel air horn dies. Then all I do is pull the original wires off the relay and put them back onto the original horn.
With the horn installed this way you lose a tiny amount of volume from the air horn but its such a small amount I woldn't worry.
As i have said before remember that with this installation when you want to change your spark plug in number 1 cylinder you will probably have to take the horn off. Its not hard to do, but if you get the bike seviced at a dealer or bike shop they might stuff up the reinstallation of your horn. So I would take the horn off the bike before having the more comlex services. Thats another reason to leave the original horn on the bike as well.
Have fun.

Install of Stebel air horn (semi waterproof type) on 1250fa File

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:48 pm

Thanks Reardo!

Back to top Go down

Post  Silver Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

Bhoffo wrote:Thanks Silver...

Is your bike the 'Naked' or partly faired version... just wondering how it ill all fit under the fairing?? Neutral

Mine's the full fairing model (2010)

Reardo's a good man to stick up the notes from Phil North. I followed Phil North's instructions & photos to the letter & It could not have gone smoother. The horn has good clearance from all things mechanical & there's still 8-10mm clearance from the fairing - so there's ample room to allow for vibration.

Cheers,

Silver

Pyramid Rear Hugger
Eagle screen

1939 Acme 125cc
1974 Yamaha TY
Silver
Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:02 pm

Silver wrote:
Bhoffo wrote:Thanks Silver...

Mine's the full fairing model (2010)

Reardo's a good man to stick up the notes from Phil North. I followed Phil North's instructions & photos to the letter & It could not have gone smoother. The horn has good clearance from all things mechanical & there's still 8-10mm clearance from the fairing - so there's ample room to allow for vibration.

Cheers,

Silver

Good to know Silver - thanks! bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:33 am

I went for the twin Stebel (hi/lo note) horns and mounted either side atop the radiator. They just clear the forks and pump out 136dB so certainly frighten the odd bonehead who gets in the way.

Required mounting on a length of light alloy bar and some bending in a vice to get the right angles but looks OK and does the job. I will try to post some pix later today.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

Bought and installed my Stebel a couple of days ago... mounted under the left side of the fairing but doesn't touch that or interfere with the forks. Mounted on a piece of flat steel about 1/8" thick by 5/8" wide which is bolted onto an existing bracket inside the frame (the rear mount of the fairing) All done up pretty tight and am hoping that the whole thing doesn't move downwards with its weight and vibration. Have put a big 'zip' tie around it just in case.. thought of trying to put another bracket on the horn mount to prevent this from happening but a little difficult to do.. the relay is mounted on a more forward bracket on the frame adjacent to where the horn now is...

Anyway.. I've uploaded the sound of the before and after horns onto Youtube... this is where you can find it.... What a difference! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJv8Ge7mh48&feature=youtu.be

Thanks to Phil North for his well described instructions...and Reardo for re-posting... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

that`s quite a difference Shocked

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

paul wrote:that`s quite a difference Shocked

Yes... more so when you're beside it... I accidentally hit the horn button when I was out today...
Scared the bejesus out of me!! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:32 pm

I like the sound of that. Added to my wanted list.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:23 pm

holy shite Razz

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

I made a couple of mates shit them self's with my STEBEL. Twisted Evil and must admit, that I got my self a couple of times too Embarassed .

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:49 pm

Reardo wrote:I made a couple of mates shit them self's with my STEBEL. Twisted Evil and must admit, that I got my self a couple of times too Embarassed .

Bloody loud for the compactness of it..and reasonably cheap too.. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:11 pm

It got the better of me... Twisted Evil I was concerned about the weight of the horn and the one mounting point moving whilst on the long ride to and from the tribute to Grumpy's grave on the weekend - so yesterday afternoon I removed the fairing enabling me to get into the frame area and put a second (forward) mount onto the horn... feel much happier about it now... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

Bhoffo wrote:It got the better of me... Twisted Evil I was concerned about the weight of the horn and the one mounting point moving whilst on the long ride to and from the tribute to Grumpy's grave on the weekend - so yesterday afternoon I removed the fairing enabling me to get into the frame area and put a second (forward) mount onto the horn... feel much happier about it now... Smile

better safe than sorry Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

That's what I thought... wouldn't have liked for the thing to have dropped down and worn a mark/hole in my fairing or worse.. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum