Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1200 jetting and ignition

5 posters

Go down

1200 jetting and ignition Empty 1200 jetting and ignition

Post  dergy1 Tue 24 May 2011, 8:29 pm

Need to rejet carbs to overcome the flat spot just off idle (lean missfire) may be a dyna jet kit, not sure what stage though?? Still have std air box at the moment
Also want to fit 5 deg ignition advance to crank these mods are supposed to give good improvements
Any info on where to buy ect
Luv to hear any feed back

Question
dergy1
dergy1

Back to top Go down

1200 jetting and ignition Empty Re: 1200 jetting and ignition

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 24 May 2011, 9:31 pm

These are some old links that may be useful
http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm#fuel_system

http://www.factorypro.com//tech/carbtun.html

How did you diagnose the problem and are you carbs synced, usually you can tell if it hunts at idle and runs poorly at small throttle openings.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 25 May 2011, 9:56 am

I would be checking carb sync etc before playing around with jetting. A mate has a '96 Bandit and that thing pulls like a freight train off idle to redline and is completely stock
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Wed 25 May 2011, 12:55 pm

I put in a stage one jet kit from Dale walker at Holeshot. It came with the 5deg advancer. Very detailed installation and tuning guide came with it. The cost delivered was about $170, but the dollar's much better now.

Curiously Dale says the stage one kit is only to be used with the standard air filter, not a K&N.

Tony.

rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  dergy1 Wed 25 May 2011, 6:57 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:These are some old links that may be useful
http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm#fuel_system

http://www.factorypro.com//tech/carbtun.html

How did you diagnose the problem and are you carbs synced, usually you can tell if it hunts at idle and runs poorly at small throttle openings.

Been a mechanic for while now, used to spend spare time fixing mates bikes but that was a while ago now. It has what i call a lean miss at part throttle at a constant speed, if im accelerating it runs fine its only a problem when in very slow traffic so i havnt bothered until now.
Thanks for the links
dergy1
dergy1

Back to top Go down

Post  dergy1 Wed 25 May 2011, 6:59 pm

rolls wrote:I put in a stage one jet kit from Dale walker at Holeshot. It came with the 5deg advancer. Very detailed installation and tuning guide came with it. The cost delivered was about $170, but the dollar's much better now.

Curiously Dale says the stage one kit is only to be used with the standard air filter, not a K&N.

Tony.

How did it run after the mods
dergy1
dergy1

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 25 May 2011, 9:12 pm

I'd throw a new set of plugs in it as they are cheap and if they fix the problem then it's all good.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Thu 26 May 2011, 7:21 am

"How did it run after the mods?"

It cured everything. No flat spots and super smooth with buckets of grunt. It pulls hard from idle, and if you crack it open in second and hit a small bump it'll rear up.
I rarely, if ever, use the top end now.

I'd very much recommend Holeshot's kit.

jet review

Tony.

Last edited by rolls on Thu 26 May 2011, 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  dergy1 Fri 27 May 2011, 7:12 pm

rolls wrote:"How did it run after the mods?"

It cured everything. No flat spots and super smooth with buckets of grunt. It pulls hard from idle, and if you crack it open in second and hit a small bump it'll rear up.
I rarely, if ever, use the top end now.

I'd very much recommend Holeshot's kit.

jet review

Tony.
Thanks for the info Tony
soon as i have the spare bucks im ordering Very Happy
dergy1
dergy1

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterblaster Fri 27 May 2011, 10:07 pm

dergy1 wrote:Need to rejet carbs to overcome the flat spot just off idle (lean missfire) may be a dyna jet kit, not sure what stage though?? Still have std air box at the moment
Also want to fit 5 deg ignition advance to crank these mods are supposed to give good improvements
Any info on where to buy ect
Luv to hear any feed back

Question

I installed an Ivans jet kit in my 2005 1200s a few years back as well as changing the pilots from 15 to 17.5 and the mains from 97.5 to 150, the jet kit I bought is only the needles and seats, I also installed a K&N filter and opened up the airbox at the same time and fitted a staintune tailpipe. Roughly up to 1/4 throttle opening is your pilots, 1/4 to 3/4 is your needles and 3/4 to full is your main jets supplying the most of the fuel. You can wind your pilot jet screws on the carbies out to richen the mixture but ultimately a jet kit with other mods is your best option because these bikes came very lean from the factory to meet european emission requirements.

You can do the 5 degree mod yourself if you are handy with a drill & file because it is just requires elongating the mounting holes so you can swivel the plate that your timing pickups are mounted on. Another good mod is the PAIR block off plates available from Dale Walker at Holeshot and then you can get rid of all the plumbing and crap under your tank.

Have a look at www.holeshot.com and you will get some good tips.

Masterblaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum