Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine?

+5
Re-Cycled
Desert Bandito
Baz
gus
Ironman
9 posters

Go down

Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Empty Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine?

Post  Ironman Tue 05 Apr 2011, 2:55 pm

My FA is making a short whistle noise when starting. As soon as you take your thumb off the start button I can hear this noise that lasts for about half a second every time you start it - hot or cold. I think it is related to the starter motor. Sounds like a dry bearing or something. No leaks from the exhaust or anything.

Anyone else had the same thing?
Cheers.
(I have a recording of it I can email too.)

Last edited by Full Throttle on Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Empty Re: Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine?

Post  gus Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:58 pm

I get a little bit of noise from the Fuel pressure pump . ??
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Empty Re: Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine?

Post  Ironman Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:02 pm

It's not the fuel pump. Completely different noise. If I could post the file up on here you could have a listen. Ahhhh - modern technology.
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:50 pm

Post it up. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Tue 05 Apr 2011, 6:15 pm

How do I attach a audio file on the board?
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Tue 05 Apr 2011, 6:31 pm

Full Throttle wrote:How do I attach a audio file on the board?

I doubt that you can attach a audio file to the board.
I think it would need to be hosted elsewhere much like the photos are ... a youtube video with audio might be the best way of doing it. I might video a start up of my bike and see if I can get this youtube thing working.

I have noticed that the start is not the same as it was when the bike was new ... not as sharp, but can't really call it a whistle.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 05 Apr 2011, 6:42 pm

It must be hard otherwize we would have "listen to my new exhaust section" Smile
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Desert Bandito Wed 06 Apr 2011, 3:57 am

Does the whistling you hear sound anything like this. Razz

Custom 07 Candy Sonoma Red Bandit 1250S with MetrickMetal PAIR/EVAP system removal kit, custom Super Trapp exhaust and lots of other custom MetrickMetal billet parts and mods. Holeshot Performance stage II with secondaries removed, Race Tech Gold valves, springs and custom Works Performance shock.
IBA #18470

Desert Bandito

http://metrickmetal@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 06 Apr 2011, 6:56 am

Yes that's it!

But you've got worse problems, your exhaust sounds like a trumpet and something's loose, sounds like a snare drum.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Wed 06 Apr 2011, 9:43 pm

Desert Bandito wrote:Does the whistling you hear sound anything like this. Razz
]

Now, thats funny! lol! lol! lol!
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm

It's the starter motor. When I first got mine I thought it was air being sucked into or blown out of somewhere on the bike. But it was the starter.
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Fri 08 Apr 2011, 3:12 pm

Wouldn't be so noticeable if the engine weren't so silky smooth and quiet.
On my Guzzis the only things I can hear above the engine and exhaust is my fillings rattling..... Laughing

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Fri 08 Apr 2011, 3:22 pm

Saikhan wrote:It's the starter motor. When I first got mine I thought it was air being sucked into or blown out of somewhere on the bike. But it was the starter.

Yes I can hear a whistle when starting up, I think its air being shoved around the starter, not a bearing seizing.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 08 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

At what stage in the starting process is this noise heard?
Mine barely cranks before firing.
I'm imagining you lot trying to start a 18 cylinder radial engine.
I might complain to the dealer and ask where my whistle is.
Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Spank

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Fri 08 Apr 2011, 3:36 pm

LOL lol! lol!
I must look for more emoticons also.
the starter whistle .. I think if you were not listening for it, you wouldn't hear it

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Desert Bandito Fri 08 Apr 2011, 11:55 pm

Baz wrote:LOL lol! lol!
I must look for more emoticons also.
the starter whistle .. I think if you were not listening for it, you wouldn't hear it

Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Smiley-face-whistle-1Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Smiley-face-whistle-1Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Smiley-face-whistle-1Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Smiley-face-whistle-1

Anyone notice a short "whistle" noise on startup from the engine? Smiley-whistling

Custom 07 Candy Sonoma Red Bandit 1250S with MetrickMetal PAIR/EVAP system removal kit, custom Super Trapp exhaust and lots of other custom MetrickMetal billet parts and mods. Holeshot Performance stage II with secondaries removed, Race Tech Gold valves, springs and custom Works Performance shock.
IBA #18470

Desert Bandito

http://metrickmetal@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sat 09 Apr 2011, 4:32 am

Not being able to attach the sound file to the forum makes things a bit difficult.
This sound is heard immediately after the engine has fired up - lasting for approx .5 sec. Louder from generator side of engine.
Like I said, I have the sound file to send anyone interested in helping.
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 09 Apr 2011, 6:15 am

I'm interested ,dont know what a sound file is ,probably wont be able to help ,but give it your best shot. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 09 Apr 2011, 8:01 am

Full Throttle wrote:Not being able to attach the sound file to the forum makes things a bit difficult.
This sound is heard immediately after the engine has fired up - lasting for approx .5 sec. Louder from generator side of engine.
Like I said, I have the sound file to send anyone interested in helping.

If you feel like making a short "movie" and uploading here is what you can do using windows movie maker.
Assemble a photo or 2 or 10 Laughing of your bike (or anything) load them into WMM and attach the audio file as a soundtrack.
Make the movie and upload to youtube or somewhere.

You will have basically just made a slide show with an audio track. You can adjust the length of the slides to accommodate the length of the audio.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Sat 09 Apr 2011, 8:32 am

cheers cheers cheers It's the starter!!!!. cheers cheers cheers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Sat 09 Apr 2011, 5:04 pm

I was standing next to a ER6N when it started today and it has the same noise .. its the starter. cheers cheers

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Thu 14 Apr 2011, 3:02 pm

Well it will have this looked at during its service coming up soon. Yes I reckon its the starter too.
Was in at a dealership yesterday and looked at a red bandit 1200S. It would be a project bike to restore. Hmmmmmmmm. Something about air cooled engines....
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum