Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you start a motorcycle with an engine covered in Petrol?

Go down

Would you start a motorcycle with an engine covered in Petrol? Empty Would you start a motorcycle with an engine covered in Petrol?

Post  allambiejohn Wed 09 Aug 2023, 1:17 pm

So I was on the same damned car park level 6 on Monday night, when I returned to the bike after work there was a tiny pool of liquid under the side stand - petrol!  I could see petrol slowly dripping off the underside of the motor and the tubes etc were very wet under the tank.  Once again the on board tool kit came into its own and I was able to remove the fuel tank which revealed that the fuel pipe between the tap and the new in-line filter had a tear which was gently leaking petrol.  This also explains the vague smell of petrol I have noticed when starting up in the mornings!  The tear was very close to the tap and I reckoned if I cut the tear out, there would just be sufficient pipe left to put things back together.  I left the bike in bits with the tank balanced so that the tap didnt flow. ( I thought the flow only occured under vacuum ?  Not my tap - the damn thing gushed when I removed the fuel tube.  I  went back to the office in search of a pair of scissor to cut the pipe.  Scissors found, problem fixed, bike back together - but now what ?  Should I start the bike and drive home (and risk a spark somewhere igniting the petrol sodden engine) or leave the bike overnight and catch a bus.  I moved the bike out of the puddle, put all my gear on and standing next to the bike pushed the start button. Thankfully no fire or explosion and I rode home in one piece (I reckoned the air draft and every increasing engine temp would quickly evaporate off any petrol). 

Everyone I have told this story to thinks I'm an idiot for taking the risk!  And on reflection they may be right......
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down