Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol

+4
2wheelsagain
mtbeerwah
Bosco15
Roden
8 posters

Go down

New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol Empty New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol

Post  Roden Thu 01 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

Hello and Happy New Year!

Well for some anyway ... my bike ('02 1200) has been in the garage for a week, I went to start it this morning in anticipation of a nice ride to the Scarborough Hotel and noticed a strong petrol smell ... I discovered that the tank is near empty (I left it near full) and the sump is full of petrol! Damn!

Not the best timing being that nothing is open and I need to fix this at least by Sunday so ... I'm thinking a stuck float in one of the carbs or something of that nature ... anyone had this happen?

Anyway, it looks like the carbs are coming off, not exactly what I needed to be doing on New Years Day Mad 

As always, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Roden
Roden
Roden

Back to top Go down

New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol Empty Re: New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol

Post  Bosco15 Thu 01 Jan 2015, 2:08 pm

The fuel tap on the 1200 is vacuum actuated.  So I think that would be a good place to start your investigation. 
The fuel tap should close when the engine stops. 
Your carbs then have the float and needle setup to look at.

Back to top Go down

New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol Empty Re: New Year surprise ... sump full of petrol

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 01 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

that's quiet weird, given that its a vacuum operated petcock.

what position did you have the tap on?

also, even if you had it open on prime, it shouldn`t by pass the needle and seat, so you`ll have to look at them, could be a bit of shit in there stopping one from closing
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 01 Jan 2015, 2:13 pm

ahh..you beat me to it Bosco!!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Roden Thu 01 Jan 2015, 2:29 pm

Hey guys thanks for the rapid response ... I just checked and sure enough the fuel tap is in the "on" position, not prime, so fuel has apparently gotten past it, I'll pull that to start with and yes mtbeerwah, it then has to get past the carbs, so my problem is compounded it would seem ...

Anyway, just psyching myself up to get into it ... it's hot out there and I'm not feeling the brightest pale .... lol
Roden
Roden

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 01 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

To start with, look at the carbs to see why it by passed.

When you have the tank off, turn the tap to reserve, and see if it still passes the valve, then back to the on position, as it should be, if it still leaks, obviously pull it apart and see what it going on. You can get kits for them if needed. 

From all the bandit forums all over the world that I have visited, it seems that some people do have a problem with the petcock valve failing, fortunately I never had that problem with mine, but after about the 120 000km mark, I ditched it, and put a "Pingle" fuel tap in, which is a straight dump, and eliminates the vacuum system, so when you stop the bike, you just turn it off. I always double check when I stop, to make sure it is off, so no chance of loading up the system, which should work anyway, but if it did pass, you could end up with hydraulic lock which obviously is bad.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 01 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

Had the same thing happen to me with the VTR last summer. I actually got mine started after a struggle and filled the garage with white smoke before stalling. I drained 12lt from the sump! Embarassed

I had a stuffed petcock and a float on the front carb.

You'll need to do a couple of quick oil changes if you had it turning over.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Roden Thu 01 Jan 2015, 3:51 pm

Yep, just drained 10 litres from the sump!

Tank off next and have a look at the fuel valve, I think that will be my main problem here ... trouble is with these vacuum valves is you can't turn them off ... maybe the Pingle valve is the way to go
Roden
Roden

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 01 Jan 2015, 4:35 pm

Like 2WA, I've had exactly that same problem this year but not on a Bandit - mine was my old 1980 Yammy XS850, with vacuum operated fuel cocks. In my case, two of the 3 floats needed adjustment (I had recently overhauled them and didn't set the floats correctly) AND both fuel cocks were leaking fuel through to the carbs with the motor off (the XS850 has dual feeds to a common rail). I found a fix for the fuel cocks on the XS850 on-line forum, and plenty of complaints about a particular brand of after-market fuel-cock overhaul kits (K&L brand - one person actually reckoned this kit made the problem worse!).

Good luck - pulling carbs is a pain and of course, you have to be super-careful not to snap off the float support legs.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 01 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

Roden wrote:Yep, just drained 10 litres from the sump!

Tank off next and have a look at the fuel valve, I think that will be my main problem here ... trouble is with these vacuum valves is you can't turn them off ... maybe the Pingle valve is the way to go
You should still be able to get OEM parts and thats the way I'd go.
They went vacuum so we wouldn't forget to turn a valve off Embarassed

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Roden Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

Well I got the fuel tap off and sure enough as soon as I disconnected the fuels hose, it poured petrol straight out. I turned the tap to reserve and back again and it stopped but I guess that might happen, its not a fix.

I pulled the tap apart and I can't visibly see any problem but I can blow through the tap in its "on" and "reserve" position ... so I guess an overhaul kit is in order ... I'll steer clear of K&L brand Rolling Eyes
Roden
Roden

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Roden wrote:Yep, just drained 10 litres from the sump!

You should still be able to get OEM parts and thats the way I'd go.
They went vacuum so we wouldn't forget to turn a valve off Embarassed
That was a recall on the VX800 after I bought it, I had 1 leaking manual tap replaced under warranty then about a year or so later a recall replaced it with a vacuum operated tap, in the next 19-20 years I had no problems with the vacuum one.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Roden Thu 01 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm

Anyone know where I'm likely to pick up a petcock overhaul kit off the shelf in Sydney?

Cheers,

Roden
Roden
Roden

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 01 Jan 2015, 7:37 pm

don`t like your chances.

start at your local dealer, then spread out from there.

They will then look up Suzuki Melbourne, and tell you what`s in Australia, and hope not say its gotta come from Japan.

Sydney`s a big place, and I`m sure there`s lots of dealers there.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 01 Jan 2015, 7:51 pm

It's probably the same petcock as fitted to a heap of Suzukis around the time so you shouldn't be restricted to a Bandit unit.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 01 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:don`t like your chances.

start at your local dealer, then spread out from there.

They will then look up Suzuki Melbourne, and tell you what`s in Australia, and hope not say its gotta come from Japan.

Sydney`s a big place, and I`m sure there`s lots of dealers there.
I had parts for the VX arrive from Japan quicker than they could get them the 800 km from Melbourne to Adelaide  Rolling Eyes
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:17 am

so... dumb question, and a mild sidetrack...

there's a reserve tap on the bandit? I haven't been able to find one on my 06.... could someone point me in the direction of it?

thanks.

Much antisocial.
Dale Walker Stage 2 bits with K&N air pod things.
Wool seat cover for nomoresorebum.

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:28 am

stu wrote:so... dumb question, and a mild sidetrack...

there's a reserve tap on the bandit? I haven't been able to find one on my 06.... could someone point me in the direction of it?

thanks.
not unless you fit a aftermarket tap
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:49 am

Chook wrote:

thanks.
not unless you fit a aftermarket tap

ah. so, not so dumb.

Thanks Smile

Much antisocial.

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:52 am

thanks.
The 06 tank is the same as the 1250 tank ....................no tap whatsoever ( unlike the 1200 tank which does )...............it would be handy sometimes though

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:59 am

paul wrote:The 06 tank is the same as the 1250 tank ....................no tap whatsoever ( unlike the 1200 tank which does )...............it would be handy sometimes though

Yes, it would. ... I've only run out of petrol once... when I had unusually high consumption... was actually on my way to the petrol station at the time... didn't make it..... seems strange that there isn't one, though....

Much antisocial.

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 03 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

stu wrote:
paul wrote:The 06 tank is the same as the 1250 tank ....................no tap whatsoever ( unlike the 1200 tank which does )...............it would be handy sometimes though

Yes, it would. ... I've only run out of petrol once... when I had unusually high consumption... was actually on my way to the petrol station at the time... didn't make it..... seems strange that there isn't one, though....
And you could use your tank easier as a remote tank when working on your bike by bypassing the vacuum part of the tap .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down