Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spark plug cleaning device

5 posters

Go down

Spark plug cleaning device Empty Spark plug cleaning device

Post  gus Mon 16 Sep 2019, 1:54 pm

I have   had a lot of problems lately with spark plugs . They fire when resting on the head so you presume they are ok ,but under combustion screwed into the head they don't spark .The plugs on a 600 bandit are tiny so a wire brush only cleans the top electrode which isn't enough . Today I was working on my gs550L and sure enough ,on fire up ,number 4 header was cold ,when all others were warm . Pulled the plug ,tested resting on the head ,spark good . Screwed back in ,header stayed cold ,so not sparking in chamber .
I recently bought a air ,plug cleaning device . Blasts electrode with some sort of black grit ..15 seconds to clean plug ,a wash with petrol , re-install and motor instantly runs on all 4 cylinders .. 
At $45 delivered it just save me a lot of time thinking I had a fuel problem .Also ,it has paid for itself with the amount of plugs that didn't work but now do .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Spark plug cleaning device Empty Re: Spark plug cleaning device

Post  gus Mon 16 Sep 2019, 2:27 pm

A friend of mine recently sent his Bandit 600 into a bike shop to get the carbs ultrasonically cleaned due to running problems . The bill was $700  affraid but yes the bike did run ok .  Ok for 150 kls then it went to shit again . He had sent the bike to the shop with new plugs but of coarse they replaced them .With the bike playing up ,he replaced them again Mad  ( 12 plugs so far ).needless to say bike runs for a day and does it again . . Out of frustration he sends the bike  to me (melb to tas ) rather than burn it . I put in another set of plugs ( now its 16 plugs we have  Mad Laughing
Turned out the bike shop had set the fuel air screws at , one at 6 turns out and 3 at 7 turns out . (should be 2 ) No wonder the plugs were carboning up .
Once again they all had spark on the head but nothing screwed in . 
. 16 plugs and some were the expensive ones . Took me about 5 days to work out what was going on . I nearly burnt it myself . Razz  After that I bought the plug cleaner . If only I had had one before . Stupid tiny plugs .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 16 Sep 2019, 5:14 pm

I inherited an electric one my Dad owned which also blasts the plug with a grit compound .............sounds similar to yours.

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  rodent4 Mon 16 Sep 2019, 6:09 pm

From my meagre experience...........do not clean plugs with a wire brush of any description, all wire brushes are softer than the porcelain and all you are going to do is coat the porcelain with metal causing a miss-fire of poor/fluffy running. I have cleaned them with glass media but it's a pain to make sure that there is no glass left in them.

Another option, buy your plugs in bulk form Rockauto.com, the ones I buy are usually $2ea landed  Cool   At any given time there is a Rock 5% discount to be found on some car forums.........If you can't find one I can post one or send it to you.

Option 3.......get your junk running clean so you're not blowing through plugs  Very Happy
rodent4
rodent4

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 16 Sep 2019, 7:15 pm

I have 14 motorcycles  , getting them all to run nicely at the same time rules out option 3 . Its just never going to happen . Razz .  I buy other peoples problems .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 16 Sep 2019, 7:50 pm

paul wrote:I inherited an electric one my Dad owned which also blasts the plug with a grit compound .............sounds similar to yours.
We used the Champion plug cleaner/tester in workshops I worked in for years, in the end it was getting more economical to ditch them and replace, that was pre iridium though
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:35 pm

Up date . Do not , use one of these machines , Utter rubbish . Today I used it on some larger plugs ,ones I could see down into, unlike the small 600 bandit plugs . After blasting the plug to clean it , I sprayed it with aerosol brake cleaner and then used compressed air . On inspection and using a fine needle I find grit still lodged in the plug . My grit blaster is now in the bin . pig
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  rodent4 Thu 10 Oct 2019, 6:50 pm

If you have small enough o-rings you can push them down where the porcelain meets the inside of the thread, and that'll keep the glass/media from wedging in there  Cool 

O-rings are cheaper than plugs   Very Happy
rodent4
rodent4

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 10 Oct 2019, 9:38 pm

That is a good idea . It seems to be the larger plugs have a internal grove that holds the grit.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 28 Oct 2019, 9:17 am

paul wrote:I inherited an electric one my Dad owned which also blasts the plug with a grit compound .............sounds similar to yours.
I had one of those 12v ones when I was 17, unfortunately i don't know what happened to it.
Oh well just put them in the sand blasting cabinet now Smile

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down