Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit?

4 posters

Go down

Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit? Empty Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit?

Post  Normanby Mon 21 Dec 2015, 6:39 pm

Is there a special tool for spark plug removal on a 1997 Bandit 1200?
I just bought a generic tool at Peter Stevens and tried it on cylinder 4, but it won't slip past the frame. I guess i need a bendy one?

I read a very useful thread on here with some tips for this type of job, but it was specific to a water-cooled Bandit 1250. Any special tips and tricks for the Gen 1 oil-cooled 1200s?

Thanks,
Matt
Normanby
Normanby

Back to top Go down

Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit? Empty Re: Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit?

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 21 Dec 2015, 7:51 pm

Hi Matt,

I don`t know what your one looks like compared to the OEM supplied, but you just have to hold your tongue right.

For the inner plugs, you have to reverse the socket in, and manipulate it up above the rocker then it drops down into postion.

A bit of a bugger of a thing, but that's the only way it will fit.

A bit like a square peg in a round hole thing going on there.

PS: You`ll note when you look at the rocker cover, that the entrance to the spark plug openings,
are all tapered in different directions, they dictate the angle you are supposed to approach the opening..if that makes sense.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit? Empty Re: Spark plug special tool for Gen 1 Bandit?

Post  Normanby Mon 21 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm

Thanks, i guess mine's just too big (i hear that a lot)...
I don't have an OEM one, can't find the part number in my manual, anyone know it so i can order one?
Normanby
Normanby

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 21 Dec 2015, 11:15 pm

Normanby wrote:Thanks, i guess mine's just too big (i hear that a lot)...
I don't have an OEM one, can't find the part number in my manual, anyone know it so i can order one?
Could be worse ...............you could be hearing that you're approaching the opening at the wrong angle a lot  Razz
A Suzuki dealer like peter stevens should be able to access the part number & get it in for you .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  meggens85 Thu 17 Mar 2016, 11:39 pm

Ok got an 06 bandit 1200s didnt come with a tool kit can u use an 18mm sparkplug socket or do u need to get a specific tool to get the sparkplugs out
meggens85
meggens85

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:07 pm

meggens85 wrote:Ok got an 06 bandit 1200s didnt come with a tool kit can u use an 18mm sparkplug socket or do u need to get a specific tool to get the sparkplugs out

only one way to find out...give it a go

I will say, the OEM tool is very thin walled, which it has to be, cause I think you will struggle with a typical plug socket,
as they`re to bulky. But...give it a go.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down