Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been hanging around #tag to long

5 posters

Go down

Been hanging around #tag to long  Empty Been hanging around #tag to long

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 25 Aug 2016, 8:57 pm

Tag has always been the DIY guy that we all know, and this came to be with motorcycle tyres, he built his own rig added a No Mar dismount/mount bar and off he went with his US imported tyres at $210 a set ( when the dollar was at a $1.10) and he always was very generously changed and balanced my tyres for me. 

The interesting thing always was what i called stuffed and Tag called stuffed was about 1000 ks or there abouts. So often my worn out hoops would be ressurected for a few more trips to bermi or bombala. 

So recently two other mates of mine and myself purchased a No Mar classic tyre fitting machine and balancer. So here i am keen to get the technique right and change a few tyres. Enter JDK and his wifes Ducati Monster wants me to put a set of Michelin Pures on. so its off with the mostly worn out pirelli front and a near brand new pirelli diablo strada rear. As my rear was very sad and my new set of RS2s are still in transit i thought damn thats a waste to send to the tip so after a bit of a wrestle as i am still learning the techique of the changer the strada is on. a quick ride and feels ok. As a older tyre it will be interesting so how it will last but  if its shit then its 15 minutes to fix it 

Thanks Tag for sharing your thrifty ways

Last edited by Jimcoleman on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Been hanging around #tag to long  Empty Re: Been hanging around #tag to long

Post  Bosco15 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 6:16 am

It's always worth while to learn a technique and build a tool or rig, then do the job yourself. 
Saving dollars and having the satisfaction of knowing that the job was done properly. 
My wise old neighbour taught me how to build a tyre press for car tyres and I adopted the technique to do my bike tyres. 
I have been doing my own for about five years without a hitch. A pair of Metzlers have been the biggest struggle so far. They were nowhere near as soft as all the other brands.

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 26 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm

Ive been fitting tyre for a couple of years but would love one of the NoMar things. Tyre levers kinda suck.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sat 27 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm

Bosco15 wrote:My wise old neighbour taught me how to build a tyre press for car tyres and I adopted the technique to do my bike tyres.

Would love some pichas if you can manage it.

NZspokes - "tyre levers kinda suck" - that's a very generous description.   Wink  
The demount bars leave them for dead in every way.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:46 am

I was impressed yesterday when my local shop only charged $20 to remove the wheel and fit a new hoop (without knocking paint off too)

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Thu 01 Sep 2016, 2:09 pm

Speaking of tyre swapping, Chris, I've just fitted and run my 5th tyre backwards.  No explosions yet Been hanging around #tag to long  959052286  (Do you remember a year or two ago when you eagle eyed a photo from a ride report by JC and noticed my front PR2 was on backwards?)
Yes I do remember that and I'm surprised there hasn't been any spontaneous combustion or unexplained magnetic pull Terry. But then again you DO ride like a granny.
 lol!bouncebouncebouncecheersBeen hanging around #tag to long  959052286Been hanging around #tag to long  879736519
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down