Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A comfortable seat option (including pillion)

+5
paul
madmax
Bosco15
Chook
Cardboard Tube Samurai
9 posters

Go down

A comfortable seat option (including pillion) Empty A comfortable seat option (including pillion)

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:15 pm

So it's a well covered topic that standard Bandit seats are pretty much about as easy on the rear end as prison sex. I can usually tolerate a rear end bashing for around 1.5 - 2 hours of riding, however the missus has brought up a few times how she gets the "Big Bubba wants to snuggle" blues after only about 30 minutes. Can't say I've ever sat on the back seat but it looks to be wider and if the construction/cushioning is the same as the front half, it must be pretty terrible on her soft, sweet derriere. And so the question begs: Sargeant? Or Holeshot? What's the pillion situation like for either of them? Are there any other options?
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

A comfortable seat option (including pillion) Empty Re: A comfortable seat option (including pillion)

Post  Chook Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:31 pm

Put "seat" into the search bar and you'll get plenty of info, probably more than enough to confuse the hell out of you Wink

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/search?search_keywords=seat
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

A comfortable seat option (including pillion) Empty Re: A comfortable seat option (including pillion)

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:37 pm

Thanks, did that first. No mention of pillion comfort, hence the question
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:39 pm

Cheapest, but definately a good option would be a sheepskin. Full thickness, not shawn..
 Next an Airhawk. 
Reupholstered original seat. 
Replacement after market seat. 
The big thing we found was that the pillion pegs are not very well setup. Too cramped,  by all accounts, in standard form.
I solved the peg issue by reversing the hanger brackets from left to right, adding half inch square tube behind to add that extra width and fabricating new pegs to suit. This moves the pegs forward and down. 
It was after the mods that Chris decided that she should pilot the bike and I should ride another.  
Bloody pillions, hey?

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:41 pm

Cardboard Tube Samurai wrote:Thanks, did that first. No mention of pillion comfort, hence the question
OK, my daughter  has travelled pillion Adelaide - Moranbah - Brisbane- Bathurst - Adelaide then Adelaide - Parks - Adelaide as well as countless shorter day trips, longest day in the saddle was pushing 900km, she's happy with a good lambswool cover on the standard seat (as am I)

Mine's a Cruis'n Comfort and I'm very happy with it

http://cruisncomfort.com/
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:44 pm

Bosco15 wrote:Cheapest, but definately a good option would be a sheepskin. Full thickness, not shawn..
 Next an Airhawk. 
Reupholstered original seat. 
Replacement after market seat. 
The big thing we found was that the pillion pegs are not very well setup. Too cramped,  by all accounts, in standard form.
I solved the peg issue by reversing the hanger brackets from left to right, adding half inch square tube behind to add that extra width and fabricating new pegs to suit. This moves the pegs forward and down. 
It was after the mods that Chris decided that she should pilot the bike and I should ride another.  
Bloody pillions, hey?
Yeah, might just have to push for her to get her license.  Cool
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:45 pm

I have a Sargent seat and although its better than the standard its not worth the money. The Corbin is better shaped imo. Worth tryin a lambswool on the stand seat first though, much cheaper.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:46 pm

Ride lots more & get some callouses on your butts ...................it can be pretty hard to find someone to kiss a sore butt better Laughing  . ( except maybe in the prison you speak of Twisted Evil   ) A lambswool cover can also help as well so can an airhawk cushion .................or have a talk with your local Motor Trimmer .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:52 pm

madmax wrote:I have a Sargent seat and although its better than the standard its not worth the money. The Corbin is better shaped imo. Worth tryin a lambswool on the stand seat first though, much cheaper. 
Not worth the money? That's the kind of thing I want to hear. Can definitely think of better things to spend that much money on. Might try to hunt down the lambswool cover.
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 05 Oct 2015, 8:55 pm

Cardboard Tube Samurai wrote:
madmax wrote:I have a Sargent seat and although its better than the standard its not worth the money. The Corbin is better shaped imo. Worth tryin a lambswool on the stand seat first though, much cheaper. 
Not worth the money? That's the kind of thing I want to hear. Can definitely think of better things to spend that much money on. Might try to hunt down the lambswool cover.
I was lucky to get mine secondhand, but at full price I wouldn't have bought it

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:08 am

I got my Corbin from a member off this forum at a very good price.  Although I reckon for me it is a very comfortable seat, I've been taking the mrs on the back (stop sniggering Paul) and she is not too impressed with it.  She used to ride her own bike in her younger years so she knows what should be comfortable, but she recently commented that this pillion part of the Corbin was the most uncomfortable she has been on.  To put it perspective though, she has just started riding with me on short 30 to 45 minute trips and is still very sore from a painful back injury, so her comments may be a little unfair.  I've sat on the rear section a couple of times whilst doing some adjustments and found it to be quite short (the Corbin takes some of the back area for the sculpting of the front) and seems to be sloped forward more than standard so that you tend to "fall" forward, but this might be what they intended.  The wife also complained about her knees, however I think it's agreed the peg position is the issue here and there are some (simple) solutions for that.

So if I was to do it again and had to be a bit wiser in spending money, 1st go with the lambswool option followed up with getting a local upholster to re-sculpture the seat, much cheaper than paying full price for the aftermarket option..

Last edited by barry_mcki on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 8:09 am; edited 2 times in total

A comfortable seat option (including pillion) Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Tue 06 Oct 2015, 6:19 am

A motor trimmer can do 'magic' things to make your seat comfortable at an affordable price.

I had the seats on my 09 Bandit, CBR650 and now the DL650 modified in particular to reduce seat height.

In each case I got an excellent result.

My present motor trimmer approaches the problem by asking what you would like to achieve then cutting our some of the original foam and replacing it with another product.

He loosely attaches the cover and has you ride the bike for a few days and come back.

At this point if you are happy he attaches the cover (or makes a new one).

If you are dissatisfied he does further mods.

The most I have ever paid for this fine personal service is $150

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Tue 06 Oct 2015, 7:02 am

May also have to look for a local motor trimmer. Thanks heaps, guys!
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 06 Oct 2015, 8:36 am

barry_mcki wrote:I got my Corbin from a member off this forum at a very good price.  Although I reckon for me it is a very comfortable seat, I've been taking the mrs on the back (stop sniggering Paul) and she is not too impressed with it. 
lol! lol!

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Wed 07 Oct 2015, 9:23 pm

On long hauls, Some up to 1300km a day, Longreach to Threeways, I use an Airhawke and lambs wool. For short long rides the Lambs wool is the go. I gave the missus (pillion) the Lambswool for a day out and now I cant get it back!

PCV AND AUTO TUNE
SECONDARIES REMOVED
MINI INDICATORS
THROTTLE LOCK
OHLINS SHOCK

1990 GSXR750AL
1973 XL100
1973 XL70
1971 SL70
Hyosung rush powered barstool
chinese 50cc powered barstool
Rick
Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Wed 21 Oct 2015, 7:17 am

UPDATE:

Found a lambswool seat cover on Gumtree but it was down in Newcastle. Nutted up and asked the question if he'd post. A week or so and $35 later, I have something comfortable to ride on. That and finding some nice tyre pressures (Suzuki spec: who'd have thought!) and the bike is even dreamier to ride. Oh, I also got a taller windscreen  What a Face
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post  Oz17ub Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:45 pm

If you dont mind me asking mate what lambswool cover is it. Theres that many out there id like one that fits neatly if possible

Oz17ub

Back to top Go down

Post  Oz17ub Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:46 pm

If you dont mind me asking mate what lambswool cover is it. Theres that many out there id like one that fits neatly if possible

Also any pics of the taller screen?

Oz17ub

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:49 pm

Oz17ub wrote:If you dont mind me asking mate what lambswool cover is it. Theres that many out there id like one that fits neatly if possible

Also any pics of the taller screen?
I've got a Cruisin' Comfort, over 3 years old and 27,000km, still a perfect fit
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardboard Tube Samurai Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:20 pm

This one looks to be a custom/hand made one. Guy I bought my windshield off mentioned getting one made by an auto upholsterer for a fairly reasonable price. I scored mine off Gumtree for $20  Cool
Cardboard Tube Samurai
Cardboard Tube Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down