Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger?

+6
Ewok1958
2wheelsagain
paul
NTBill
Jimcoleman
gsxfa
10 posters

Go down

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? Empty gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger?

Post  gsxfa Sun 04 Mar 2012, 7:17 am

I'd love to hear your opinion.

Observations of my boss (my wife):
1) footrest position too elevated
2) original seat uncomfortable and slippery
3) unnatural sitting posture: top case and back push back forward
4) original bags and top case too small for travel

being unable to change his wife have changed the saddle (realized ​​by a craftsman, gel), I changed the original top case with a 52 liter Givi top case, I changed the original bags mounting GIVI bags (like those of Chook), I pushed back the top case of 5 cm.
The situation is significantly improved.
Passenger Footrest: NOT SOLVED

Tips and suggestions are welcome , thanks

V Lamps Cool
gsxfa
gsxfa

Back to top Go down

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? Empty Re: gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger?

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:52 am

Sound cheaper to

A. Get a new wife who's shorter

B. Buy a bike for her to ride

My bandit develops a nasty whine in the rear end when ever my wife get on the back and i go above 100kph so i am with ya there brother sufferer

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? Empty Re: gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger?

Post  gsxfa Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:07 am

The beautiful women .......
Maybe when they say something they think the exact opposite Very Happy

V Lamps Cool
gsxfa
gsxfa

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:14 am

My wife Margie is 5 foot nothing and suffers ducks disease (did I type that out loud?) Sad and finds the GSX fine. I have a hepco Becker top box that I swap between my two bikes and while my 11 yo daughter is happy to use it as a backrest, my misses doesn't but says she likes it there anyway. Her only complaint is the wind buffeting at legal h/way speeds (130 in NT) compared to my other bike that is fitted with a madstad. Fastest ive taken the bike with her on the back was 185km/h (emergency overtaking a road train of course...) and the bike was rock steady. The vario screen I run tended to reduce the wind pressure at that speed quite well. I can see that for the non-duck variety of paddles, the footpegs might be a bit close to the saddle. I thought I read somewhere about someone who did a mod to lower them? Can't remember if it was this one or TWT.
Bill.

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

My wife said the earlier 2004 model had more leg room than the 1250 model . ( someone on this forum altered theirs but I can`t find it )
I made up a wedge ( abs plastic ) & fitted it between the top box mounting plate and the mounting brackets which lifted the front of the box up and back to give more room and re drilled the bracket holes further back , & I also use a lambswool seat cover which lifts her up a bit and she doesn`t slide around on longer trips .
It is true there are more pillion friendly bikes .( & my wife isn`t very tall or big either )

Last edited by paul on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:42 am

I've had no complaints from my pillions but i don't have a top box.
I get a whinning sound under 100 sometimes Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:58 am

I thought I read another post here in the last 6 months where the rear footpegs were discussed but I couldn't find it. But, I know you can buy adapters to lower them because a guy at work has done that to his ZX-14. I thought the post discussed these also for the Bandit. A bit of googling should do it. Here's one:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki-Bandit-650-1250-Accessories.htm

Last edited by Ewok1958 on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional info.)
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:06 am

Ewok1958 wrote:I thought I read another post here in the last 6 months where the rear footpegs were discussed but I couldn't find it. But, I know you can buy adapters to lower them because a guy at work has done that to his ZX-14. I thought the post discussed these also for the Bandit. A bit of googling should do it. Here's one:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki-Bandit-650-1250-Accessories.htm

I couldn`t find it either , it must have followed on in a different post about something else .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 04 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

There was something on TWT about turning the pegs upside down and swapping left and right, but they were referencing the front pegs, not sure if you can do the same with the rear - said to have got an extra 30mm length.

This kit from Sportouring will give you up to 50mm, but is pretty expensive:

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? Loweri10

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? Loweri11

gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  aussie Sun 04 Mar 2012, 7:37 pm

This is the thread you are after. The info is on the second page. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46951&page=2

cheers

george

aussie

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:23 pm

aussie wrote:This is the thread you are after. The info is on the second page. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46951&page=2

cheers

george

that site has also got Ross`s brackets he made & posted up on this site if you scroll down (yep that`s the ones I was thinking of it`s under "quick question" in the search box ) Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gsxfa Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:22 am

thank you very much

cheers cheers I think, with your help, to have solved the problem passenger footrests cheers
Excellent solution Ross.Moorhouse (Dec. 2011) as seen from her photos

I will do the job for an expert craftsman and then will send you the photos

thank thank..................................................... cheers cheers cheers

V Lamps Cool
gsxfa
gsxfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:48 am

Pillion comfort is a bit of an issue with these bikes. I do lots of riding / touring with my girl & the lack of pillion room on an otherwise great bike was a problem. As most people have found - the Givi top box in its standard position pushed her too far forward. The pegs are high & standard seat uncomfortable and she slid forward too easily.
Couple of things I did - was to drill a new set of mounting holes in the top box plate which moved it about an inch and a half further back. This gave her enough room to sit up & also hold the grab handle easily. The best thing by far ( bit pricey though ) was fitting a Sargeant seat with back rest. The Sargeant seat has a little more pillion room, but its the back rest that makes it. She can sit back with support, feels a lot more comfortable & secure. When riding by myself its a 2 minute job to remove it.
Added bonus is that I can give it a fistfull without worrying that she'll fly off the back Twisted Evil

Cheers,

Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

I use a H&B top box and bracket and it seems to leave plenty of room for a pillion.
Here's a pic. The main thing I'm trying to nail is the wind protection for the pillion for longer rides.
[img]gsxfa but is really comfortable for the passenger? 951a6dbb[/img]

Bill.
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:29 pm

That looks neat & tidy. What are they priced like & how do they compare to Givi. If didn't mind me asking?

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:24 pm

Reardo wrote:That looks neat & tidy. What are they priced like & how do they compare to Givi. If didn't mind me asking?

I originally bought the H&B Cases and racks for my BMW F650/800GS in 2008 cos they were less than half price of the OEM BMW gear and being German made anyway - quality is good. I put a lot of kms (50,000 or so) on the topbox in all weather and roads on the GS and can vouch for the weather proofing. I rarely used the side cases tho except when commuting with pillion and needing to pack extra helmet etc - long story...

Then last year when i bought the GSX1250 I needed a weather proof topbox for the commute and thought rather than new luggage i'd swap over the cases- and so just needed to get the racks for the Soozy. I got them from Motorcycle Adventure Products in QLD cos they (Ron and Judy) were fantastic to deal with back in 2008 when I was first feeling my way with cases (and they hadn't changed).http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/ The racks are not cheap...$230 for the rear rack to carry the box and about $300 for the side racks, but for me, was much cheaper than for a complete new system. I do like the H&B side racks on my beemer as they have quick release cam-lock attach system and so can be released in seconds literally (main carrier points remain attached to the bike). Saves carrying empty racks around. How do they compare with the Givi, I couldn't really say - probably same same but different. I've been happy with what I've got and it does leave more room for my pillions. My only concerns when installing were that the bolts that came with it, screwed into the original threaded holes in the rear frame through the grab handle (clearance holes) and didn't really have a positive lock system - ie no spring washers. Locktites an option but given the cantilever loading on the rack, (and being of a mech eng bent) it bugged me a bit so I bought some longer grade 8 metal threads (10mm rear and 8mm front I think from memory) and used them with captive nuts inside the frame to complement the encapsulated threaded section in the frame. Locked things in real well - albeit a bit fiddly getting spanners in there. That gave me comfort that nothing was going to come loose and flap around at an inconvenient moment. So far (7 months on) its all good. Surprised The H&B racks can carry a swag of different H&B cases as well as various soft luggage. I imagine Givi would probably be similar. Have a look through the MAP web site and you'll see the range. No doubt there will be cheaper out there, but sometimes i don't mind paying a little more for great service knowing there are no arguments with returns etc. [edit] Re the box...(looks like the top box (Junior 40 litre) is around $250 today.)
Bill.

Last edited by NTBill on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the last bit...)
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down