Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Leak - what are the common areas ?

+4
Ewok1958
2wheelsagain
madmax
buford_t_justice
8 posters

Go down

Oil Leak - what are the common areas ? Empty Oil Leak - what are the common areas ?

Post  buford_t_justice Mon 10 Aug 2015, 9:19 am

This is probably a dumb post, but I promise to update when it's solved.

For the last few weeks I've noticed the smell of burning oil.  On the weekend I changed the oil and the filter and took a closer look.

(FYI I used this wrench to get the oem filter off:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Stanley-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Swivel-400mm.aspx?pid=12565#Recommendations
I have a few different filter wrenches and even bought a cap type, but because of clearance issues, I couldn't get a wrench on it. The above one had it off in 30 secs.  Replaced with K&N with a 17mm nut)

I noticed oil had leaked around the sump, so I cleaned it up with some kero and went for a ride.  But I cannot see any leaks from the sump gasket. And no leaks from the new filter either or the sump plug. But wherever it's leaking from, it's hitting the exhaust and turning into smoke.

What is the next suspect ?.  I'm thinking the output shaft seal ?.  Anyone else had oil leaks around this area ?

Thanks.

Edit: Can someone help me out with the service manual location ? ;-)

Last edited by buford_t_justice on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed my wording to make it clearer)
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Oil Leak - what are the common areas ? Empty Re: Oil Leak - what are the common areas ?

Post  madmax Mon 10 Aug 2015, 9:54 am

Going on a ride one time, when I got to the meeting place I could smell burning oil as you described. Both myself and Spanna couldn't find any sign of a leak or see smoke. When we stood the bike up straight we found the oil level was overfull. Done at the dealership a week earlier.

Even now the bike doesn't use any significant oil between changes

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Oil Leak - what are the common areas ? Empty Re: Oil Leak - what are the common areas ?

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:10 am

The only time mine ever smoked was after a clumsy oil filter change.
Lots of degreaser was used after each change after that.

Sorry I cant offer any suggestions.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:41 am

Given it's occurred after an oil filter change, it is certain to be oil spilt on the headers/collector that is burning. Give them a good degrease and wash them off and it should go away. I'm not aware of a 1250 motor that leaks oil from any gasket, unless other damage was done. Cheers.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:30 pm

I should have made this clearer, but I had noticed the smell prior to the oil change, and found old oil on the sump, anyway I'll clean it all up thoroughly next weekend and look for the source ... It's only dripping when the engine is running as far as I can tell.  Only 20,000km, but 2011 model.
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 10 Aug 2015, 2:15 pm

buford_t_justice wrote:I should have made this clearer, but I had noticed the smell prior to the oil change, and found old oil on the sump, anyway I'll clean it all up thoroughly next weekend and look for the source ... It's only dripping when the engine is running as far as I can tell.  Only 20,000km, but 2011 model.
 I stand corrected but I think the oil cooler ring at the filter is removable. So its possible "someone" wrenched on that thinking it was part of the filter at some stage.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 10 Aug 2015, 5:34 pm

Just picked mine up from it's 24K service, by the time I was 1/2 way home it was getting that "burnt oil smell", no leaks, just needs a good clean.

BTW, if anyone ever complains about the Bandit seat again, go for a 1/2hr ride on a DR650, the standard Bandit seat (without the lambswool) felt like a plush lounge chair in comparison.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 10 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

I always put al-foil over the headers before removing the filter.....................saves a heap of cleaning .
About all you can do is clean it thoroughly & go for a ride , the wind can blow the oil from the least expected place .I don't know of any common places other than he usual sump plug or an un-lubed O ring prior to fitting the filter can cause a leak , it's not likely from the tappet cover at that mileage .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

I degreased the area last weekend and rode to work, and it's definitely leaking from the final drive, but I haven't removed the sprocket to be 100%.

I've ordered an oil seal from Suzuki, anyone got any tips on replacing the oil seal ? I'm assuming the gearbox doesn't need to be split ?

I think I caused it by adjusting the chain too tight once and was too lazy to readjust it :p
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

what engine?
If you have had your chain too tight this can cause bearing wear, the pressure is put on the seal causing a leak. I have replaced the seal on the oil boiler.
Screw a gyproc screw in to the seal, pointy not self tapping, and pull it with pliers or multi grips. Tap in your new seal, easy job.

PCV AND AUTO TUNE
SECONDARIES REMOVED
MINI INDICATORS
THROTTLE LOCK
OHLINS SHOCK

1990 GSXR750AL
1973 XL100
1973 XL70
1971 SL70
Hyosung rush powered barstool
chinese 50cc powered barstool
Rick
Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Sun 06 Sep 2015, 8:22 pm

Rick, b1250. Replaced the oil seal yesterday, pretty easy job, I did have trouble getting the old one out with two multigrips, so ended up using longer screws and a claw hammer for leverage. Used the old seal + PVC pipe to assist tapping the new one on.

I had previously been adjusting the chain on the centre stand, but this throws out your slack when it's back on the ground I think.
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 06 Sep 2015, 9:14 pm

Ok simple question, where do you think the oil is coming from and why?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:32 am

Was definitely leaking from the final drive oil seal, suspect from having the chain too tight, as nobody else has reported a leak here. All sorted now.
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:36 am

Good job. 
Glad that you have got it fixed. 
I have learned to err on the side of slack, for my chain adjustment.  They seem to last longer that way.

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:40 am

buford_t_justice wrote:Was definitely leaking from the final drive oil seal, suspect from having the chain too tight, as nobody else has reported a leak here. All sorted now.
Chain tight spots kills output bearings and seals quicker than anything else.
FWIW I run as much slack as I can without making gear changes clunky.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down