Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coolant leak

+4
paul
holdenman
2wheelsagain
moto1
8 posters

Go down

coolant leak Empty coolant leak

Post  moto1 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 8:34 am

On my way to work this morning about 2 km from work the bandits' coolant light lit up and I notice coolant leaking out the bottom from one of the two small tubes underneath the engine (you can tell I'm technical!) anyone know what's going on here?, reading the owners manual it states coolant maybe too hot - can't be though as I'm only 20min from home.
moto1
moto1

Back to top Go down

coolant leak Empty Re: coolant leak

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

20 minutes is easily enough to boil the water in an unpressurised system that yours would be if you split a hose.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

Check the coolant overflow bottle and i would pop the tank off aswell and check the radiator cap

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  moto1 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

took it back to the dealership as it's under warranty
have been told that it maybe the the crash knobs installed for me at pre delivery interfering with the radiator hose Shocked
moto1
moto1

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

Some one needs their bum Kicked Mad

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:52 pm

Ask to spaek to the OWNER of the store. Inform him/her of the details , and of your unhappiness.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 16 Mar 2012, 5:57 pm

Add this

SydneyBandit wrote:On my way to work this morning about 2 km from work the bandits' coolant light lit up and I notice coolant leaking out the bottom from one of the two small tubes underneath the engine (you can tell I'm technical!) anyone know what's going on here?, reading the owners manual it states coolant maybe too hot - can't be though as I'm only 20min from home.

to this

SydneyBandit wrote:took it back to the dealership as it's under warranty
have been told that it maybe the the crash knobs installed for me at pre delivery interfering with the radiator hose Shocked

and they are probably correct.

Depending on the type of crash knobs you have fitted and how the "technician" went about fitting them could mean the interference is that the "technician" didn't check/refill the radiator with coolant but on a more likely note will be the fact that bandits are hot running engines that like to eat thru coolant thereby not having enough of the green (or blue, red, whatever) stuff running around the water jackets causing the bikes to overheat

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Fri 16 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

they can have bubbles in them as well. when you change the coolant your supposed to tilt the bike over in both directions in order to get the bubbles to rise to the top of the radiator, I don't think this is ever done satisfactorily.
I would suggest to change the coolant try and lean the bike over and bleed the bubbles and then go for a short twisty ride and check the level once again in the reservoir.

.... and the bloody green gunk cannot be seen through the plastic bottle on the gsx, next time I'm opting for a dark colour coolant.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 7:01 pm

Baz wrote:they can have bubbles in them as well. when you change the coolant your supposed to tilt the bike over in both directions in order to get the bubbles to rise to the top of the radiator, I don't think this is ever done satisfactorily.
I would suggest to change the coolant try and lean the bike over and bleed the bubbles and then go for a short twisty ride and check the level once again in the reservoir.

.... and the bloody green gunk cannot be seen through the plastic bottle on the gsx, next time I'm opting for a dark colour coolant.

Don't forget the bleed screw on the waterpump housing. I have flushed my system and refilled. All good, up to the top, moved from side to side, topped up, then crack the screw, big "fissssss" noise and level drops magically and takes a goodly amount to top up. If you missed that, you'd be underfilled with a big fat air lock
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  moto1 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

The outcome to my previous overheating delema was that the mechanics at the dealership had put the frame sliders on the wrong way and the left side slider bracket was pressing up against main radiator hose!! (dickheads) some things are better done by yourself!
moto1
moto1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down