Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we Modify?

+12
Cal
Kiwisteve
snitter
dhula
reddog
gus
kewwig
Ewok1958
Dekenai
Hammy
2wheelsagain
Truck bandit
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why do we Modify? - Page 2 Empty Why do we Modify?

Post  Truck bandit Wed 16 Jul 2014, 9:21 am

First topic message reminder :

I was just reading the posts of some new members to the forum and their desire to upgrade and add their personal touches to their Bandits.

Exhausts, air filters, chain oilers, heated grips, custom seats the lists can go on and on and on.

We could all spend a bit more money and get a bike with all these modifications already taken care of, Ducati's and BMW's come to mind, but we decided to buy a bike and then spend extra to upgrade them.

I think this allows us to feel part of the actual construction process of the bike. I think if Suzuki released a model with these modifications already done, a few of us would be but a lot of us would still change something to make it our own.
As a standard bike in standard trim, the Bandit would probably be good enough to challenge and win the Isle of Man TT in the mid to late 80's, against the top notch race bikes of the day. (Pretty good really!)

No matter how good a bike is, we all have our idea of the best bike and we will always modify our own to suit.

I'm sure those that own a 100k Duc GP replica from a few years back, managed to find something on it to modify.

I'm a fan of the little touches that people add and hope that it continues over the years.

Back to top Go down

Why do we Modify? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do we Modify?

Post  SVDon Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:27 am

I modify (in the USA we call it farkling or farkeling) every bike I get the same way, with the same things, because over many years of touring I've settled on a set of mods that are practical for me and make the bike fit for my needs.

Many of the mods I have have been used on several bikes, moving from bike to bike as I change them. Others are unique to each bike (like modified seats, etc.)

I rarely touch the engines as every bike I've had has plenty of power for my needs, and I don't need it to sound loud.  About the only thing I've done is to re-map the FI's on occasion to smooth out throttle response.

I've just about finished farkeling my new FA - I think only one thing left and that's a better windscreen.  Yesterday I had a custom seat built, more about that and the other farkels on a different thread.
SVDon
SVDon

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:17 am

Had to read that farkling bit twice ....................mind you farkling around with your bike means the same thing I suppose as what I thought you said  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

I like the term Farkeling, I might start using it here DOWN UNDER.

I have spent many hours Farkeling the many bikes I have owned.

The eye lashes on Hyundai Excels are bad.

Also the 'Angel wings' or 'Devils Tail' around the cars logo.

Add that to Transformers Autobot or Deceptacon badges.

I'm off to Farkel............

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon Mon 04 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

Pete Wells is a friend of mine, and I was present at the rally where the term was first used...    Very Happy 

It's since spread from the ST1100 forums to be in use throughout the sport-touring community in the USA.
SVDon
SVDon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2