Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock Exhaust

+3
buford_t_justice
paul
mtbeerwah
7 posters

Go down

Stock Exhaust Empty Stock Exhaust

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:21 pm

After just buying a Gen 1 Bandit, I bought it without a road worthy, to which I had to acquirer one ( there was no problem with the old girl, a very reliable girl indeed)

Before I went for road worthy, I did query the shop about the stubbie yosh on it, to see if it would pass as is, they quiet frankly said NO, unless it came with a noise certificate, or had the stock can on it.

As I`m not about to pay someone for a noise test, I proceeded to put my old stock can on, from my other bike, which took a whole of 3mins to change.

What did I notice!!!  Its been so long since I`ve ridden a bike with a standard can on it, that I`ve come to the conclusion..

I really really like a quiet bike, and can`t see me putting on a noisy thing back on it.

I like to be inconspicuous, and don`t like bringing attention to myself.

Did I notice the extra weight? NO... a Bandit is a tractor, and I could put 20kg on it, and would know any difference( I`m sure some will disagree)

Did I notice any lose in power? NO...still the same power.( Admittedly, the can I put on, was one that I had modified, to make the same size pipe through out, but still going through both chambers rather than being the 3 size step down system that the stock can is)

It seems smoother, and a lot nicer to ride.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Stock Exhaust Empty Re: Stock Exhaust

Post  paul Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:53 pm

After having " noisier" bikes in the past , I tend to agree with you .................the quieter ride can be a nice change .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Stock Exhaust Empty Agree

Post  buford_t_justice Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:55 pm

I used to have a shorty (without cat) on my Diavel for a few months and got defected by the police and had to go to a testing station (which you have to pay for), so I put the stock back on.
Immediately I liked it ... roll on a few months, thought I'd put the noisy one back on, had it on for one ride and hated it, put the stocky back on again.

Ducs are allowed 106db (from memory) for the test, so stock exhaust is fairly loud anyway.

The Yoshi R77 on my 1250 is perfect, not too noisy or obnoxious and doesn't drone inside my helmet, it's straight through, but leaving the cat helps imo.

In NSW, I believe RMS approved testing stations cannot pass a non-oem exhaust for a blue slip because there are only 5 EPA approved testing stations in the state. 
I guess you'd have to go to one of these stations first, get your non-oem exhaust tested and approved, then proceed to try and get the blue slip. 

Easier to just put the OEM one back on.
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 20 Jun 2014, 5:41 pm

I don't like obnoxious either. The rs3 on the Bandit sounds nice without being annoying. When I bought my DRZ the previous owner gutted the stock pipe. It was horrible. I replaced it with a Muzzy and left the spark arrest or and db killer in. Now it has a nice note and the pipe is a couple of kilos lighter. Tbh though wind noise gets to me more than the exhaust. Good ear plugs work wonders
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg62 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 6:34 pm

I had a set of Campbell Custom pipes on my GSX1400 and I had to ride with ear plugs, but id did sound great, my 04 Bandit has a Remus pipe with the insert intact and it is nice quite with a nice note, so it;s a keeper.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Fri 20 Jun 2014, 7:19 pm

I've left the baffle in my Delkevic, & am really happy with it. I do believe a bit of noise helps us to be recognised by those drivers who have never thought about anything smaller than themselves.

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 20 Jun 2014, 7:55 pm

Interesting point ................I found I was cut off whether I had a loud exhaust or not ( I ride daily ) / I now tend to ride more " aggressively " for want of a better term & place myself a bit more " in their face " which seems to help more . I found that pussy footing around & sitting in traffic like I would in a car got me in more trouble than  filtering / lane swap / & general hey I'm here type of behaviour . I must admit that here in Adelaide at least it is becoming more common place for cars to move over while filtering to let me through , & generally are more aware of bikes ( peak hour traffic at least but not necessarily mum school runs  Rolling Eyes  ), although there are still some dick heads ( who promptly have it pointed out to them LOL ) I think the old adage of training drivers to have more awareness of different types of road users to watch out for & not just watch out for other cars will be better than trying to be heard over their favourite song blasting out of their stereo in their cars with a loud exhaust .Whether that education comes from the powers that be or from you & me is unimportant .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:00 am

yeah, of got a TRS with baffle in, on my other Gen 2 Bandit, and I thought it was quiet, until I put the stock can on my Gen 1, and its really quiet,
NICE.
Just can`t see me changing the Gen 1 back. I`ll leave the Gen 2, as its totally set up differently.

Interesting what you said Reddog, about your DRZ, as I`ve got one as well, and want to shout that thing up!!  Singles are so damn noisy, even with ear plugs in.   I`ll have to look at options for that.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:31 am

Make sure the spark arrester in the end of the pipe hasn't been punched out. They sound terrible once that's been done.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:50 am

I spent 21 years riding my VX800 with after market pipes, before that a XL500 with next to no baffles when I bought the Bandit I always intended changing the pipes but for the last nearly year and a half I've grown to appreciate and enjoy the quiet
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down