Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

+10
GSXChris
Cal
kelpie
GGiant
barry_mcki
TropoBone
madmax
Chook
kewwig
pdrider
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Empty Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

Post  pdrider Thu 27 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know there are links to various posts but I am looking for a little more specific feedback. I am now hoping to buy panniers for the GSX1250FA 2012. I like the idea of Givi but whilst I'm hoping to put my crash helmet in it, I don't want anything too big (Crash helmet is an arai XD4 - so has a peak on it). Something that fits nice and snug to the bike and keeps the water out.... Oh yeah and matches the black of the bike ( Dont want to lose the extra speed the black colour gives me!! Very Happy ). I also need to ensure that the fitting is something that a total idiot can fit (that's me). If it means moving indicators I will break out into a sweat but may cope if its very very very easy and clear on how to fit. I have a staintune pipe fitted (I even had to get a mate to do that just in case Embarassed  Embarassed )

I've looked at the GIVI site but am unsure of sizing and how big the items actually are. Also, where to purchase would be helpful. Apoligies for the detailed request but am spending a fair bit and don't want to look and wish I'd done something else. If possible I will add a top box at a later stage.
Thanks in advance folks.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Empty Re: Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

Post  Bosco15 Tue 15 Jul 2014, 5:56 am

That works a treat! Nice and bright.
I shall investigate further.

Back to top Go down

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Empty Re: Looking for Panniers and maybe top box

Post  Hammy Tue 15 Jul 2014, 6:09 am

GSXChris wrote:
Bosco15 wrote:Nice one. Looking good. Just remember that you have them on before you filter at the lights.   Cool 
Yes indeed  lol.   I have already been trying to get out of the habit.  I also had second thoughts about getting panniers after watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b424iGkWe0Q

That's bloody AWESOME.   lol!  lol!  lol!
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 15 Jul 2014, 7:58 am

barry_mcki wrote:This chap has done a good job installing the Givi LED kit plus some of his own additions:

Any Idea how he's done that??

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 15 Jul 2014, 8:14 am

madmax wrote:
barry_mcki wrote:This chap has done a good job installing the Givi LED kit plus some of his own additions:

George Lucas.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Tue 15 Jul 2014, 8:19 am

madmax wrote:

He only shows one two-pin connector in video, but must have more than one in order to get lights, brakes and indicators going.
Did I read that you have ordered a kit, Max?

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 15 Jul 2014, 2:03 pm

He says that he has done it with only the 2 pin connector. At the end he mentions the ease of removing the top box. So I take it that is the only connector.

Maybe wire up one as a signal wire to control some sort of control box inside the topbox???? Just guessing

Yes I have ordered and installed a E135 kit which is the kit for a V47 topbox. (Brake lights only)

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 15 Jul 2014, 2:21 pm

Ask Barry.   Very Happy
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 15 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm

Yes waiting for Barry's reply

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 15 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

Yes that raised my eyebrow too when he mentioned two connectors.

I've got a couple of ADMORE kits that bring multiple light functions to panniers and top boxes, they use some form of modulator at the bike end to control the LEDs at the Givi luggage side.  

Just going over my old wiring diagrams I definately can find info on Brake, Tail, Indicator and earth (4 wires) into a two wire connector (for V35's).  But as this kit was for the North American market it used red indicators and I could not work out how to extract the indicator signal from their pannier cabling.  I came to the conclusion that there is no actual indicator "wire" and it is all a function of the bike side circuit board they have you install.  You can see in the first picture below that the two wires (red and black) go straight to the LED strips, there is no special wiring or circuitry, this is just plain-old LED/resistor strips :

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Img_0310

I ended up installing another set of 2 wire connectors to go to my own amber LEDs.  I wrote back to ADMORE showing them my installation, they now make a AMBER indicator set  Smile  

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Img_0410
Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Img_3010

I am not sure if they have anything with a 5 (i.e. both indicators, brake, tail, and earth) into 2, my E55 kit has a five pin plug.

There was some bad press about the Givi contact arrangement a couple of years ago, that they would corrode and were generally intermitant.  This maybe okay now, MM you use the GIVI spring connector don't you, how's yours standing up to the test of time?  

I don't take the luggage off the bike very often so having to fiddle with the connectors every now and then is not a hassle.  The connectors are IP55 rated so they're pretty water tight, and being a twist lock arrangement there is never an issue with them not making a good circuit.

I'll see if I can dig up some more info on a 5 to 2 wiring arrangement, but I haven't seen anything up to now.  The closest I've come is the ADMORE E52 kit, this was a 5 into 3 (see the 3 pin plug below), but not 100 % if this was red or amber indicators.  With the advent of SWITCHBACK LEDs, you can now get AMBER or RED out of one LED unit with only two wires by reversing the polarity - but that is a whole other project I'm working on:

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Addmor10
Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Addmor11

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 15 Jul 2014, 4:51 pm

Thanks Barry, though I'm still a little confused, maybe I need to check out these admore kits.

My kit has only been on the bike 2-3 weeks and I haven't been out for a ride since. Yes i know I'm slack, I'm enjoying the cars heater.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 15 Jul 2014, 5:13 pm

I was under the impression that the GIVI lighting kit (E105S) was only stop lights in the 4 red "dots", if that's the case then you only need the two connectors.  Any more functions you need additional cabling/connectors or as ADMORE has done some form of smart electronic wizardy to get these functions down one pair of cables.

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 E105s10

It looks like the problem with the GIVI connector was when incandescent bulbs were being used and the extra current was causing issues,  now with the low current draw of LEDs this may no longer be of concern.  However, placing as many LEDs as was in that YouTube clip, the current draw might be getting up there again  Shocked 

Looking for Panniers and maybe top box - Page 3 Givi_210

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 15 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm

This is really starting to hijack this thread.

Yes that kit is the same sort as the one I bought. Mine was E135 for V47 topcase. It uses two strips of red leds in the lid for brake only. The connector is the same as the one you show

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:33 am

Just thought I would add an update to the Pannier Saga I have experienced so far with Piequonline. After 3 emails trying to get an idea if my rack was going to be sent and my postage for the wrong item sent (not my error), I finally indicated that I would approach ebay and Paypal. This resulted in a short response stating it had been sent last Thursday and without tracking in order to keep postage cheap. So, I'm keeping my fingers and all else crossed but haven't seen it yet but will hold for a few days more. By end of next week I'll be over it and approaching ebay and Paypal. If that doesn't work you will see some panniers for sale. Not going to invest another 2-300 in the rack as I'm somewhat jaded by them now. Probably stick to a rucksack its easier. But, let's keep positive thoughts and hopefully I will be able to post a picture of the bike with my new rack and panniers soon.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:18 am

Better also check what your time limit is with eBay/Paypal, I think you only have 4 weeks from time of transaction - been burnt recently on non-delivery of a book even though I had sent numerious eBay emails to the seller.  Sad

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:19 am

pdrider wrote:Just thought I would add an update to the Pannier Saga I have experienced so far with Piequonline. After 3 emails trying to get an idea if my rack was going to be sent and my postage for the wrong item sent (not my error), I finally indicated that I would approach ebay and Paypal. This resulted in a short response stating it had been sent last Thursday and without tracking in order to keep postage cheap. So, I'm keeping my fingers and all else crossed but haven't seen it yet but will hold for a few days more. By end of next week I'll be over it and approaching ebay and Paypal. If that doesn't work you will see some panniers for sale. Not going to invest another 2-300 in the rack as I'm somewhat jaded by them now. Probably stick to a rucksack its easier. But, let's keep positive thoughts and hopefully I will be able to post a picture of the bike with my new rack and panniers soon.

Good luck with getting everything you paid for mate  Evil or Very Mad 
If the deal does go south could you post a thread in Product Review for the benefit of anyone else who might be thinking of the same system/seller please?
I appreciate you have posted here but the issues might become lost with others commenting throughout  Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm

I'm not sure we should go naming and shaming them just yet. They were very good to me on 2 occasions and GSXChris had no problems either. If they say its been shipped then I would believe them.

Also they have 100% positive feedback with only 2 neutrals in the last 12 months. I doubt they want to jeopardise that

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:36 pm

madmax wrote:I'm not sure we should go naming and shaming them just yet. They were very good to me on 2 occasions and GSXChris had no problems either. If they say its been shipped then I would believe them.

Also they have 100% positive feedback with only 2 neutrals in the last 12 months. I doubt they want to jeopardise that

I agree Brian and I said if the deal goes south.  Smile

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm

Yes, not looking to shame them as yet just update on the journey. I too have a feeling in my waterworks that they may well come through yet but they have chosen to not respond to emails merely requesting an idea as to when they were going to send the rack and refund the postage I laid out. I don't think I have been impatient as I got delivery on or around the 7 June and sent their item back to them on 10th using the cheapest method possible. 

They do have a clean track record of supplying fellow motorcyclists. My package was sent quickly, well packaged and quality items (just wrong rack). Anyway, hoping to post a positive outcome here. If they come through I probably wouldn't have an issue in getting top box from them next!!!

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Wed 06 Aug 2014, 9:38 pm

Without wanting to make this an even longer chain of comments, it is only fair that I update the situation with the outstanding rack from the seller of the GIVI PLX539. I am very pleased to say that I got home today and the rack was there on the kitchen worktop having been delivered earlier today. The seller came good with the delivery and that is a good result. I am yet to finalise the payment I had to make for posting the incorrect rack, but hey, I am looking to round the look of the GSX off with a V46 so will see if we can resolve this with a final discounted purchase. Thanks to you all for the replies further up the post.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 06 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm

Glad to here its all working out for you Smile ........Its been awhile..

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 07 Aug 2014, 9:35 am

Well done. Thats a good result finally Smile

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingSmithy Tue 09 Sep 2014, 11:13 am

I know this thread's been inactive for a while but I did use it as basis to decide on using piequonline to purchase an E55 topbox, plus liners for it and my panniers, mounting kit etc.  So I thought it would be relevant to post an update for any future readers.

Andrea (yes a bloke) from piequonline was very helpful at the start, order was processed v quickly and dispatched.  He quoted 10-12 working days to deliver.  He provided tracking details.  The tracker seemed to stall after a week and was still showing the package in Italy.  It stayed this way for about 6 weeks!  Numerous emails too and from shed no light.  He claimed to be following up the courier but I was just told to keep waiting.  Before the 45 day paypal limit was up I lodged a non-delivery dispute with PayPal.  Finally after about 2 months - the tracker updated one day to say the item was in Australia.  Next day it was delivered.

My summary? We got there in the end but it wasn't so straight forward. Took an incredibly long time to deliver and when there were issues I just didn't get a whole lot of feedback.  I had about a $700 order on the line.

How much of this was their fault I don't know.  Perhaps it was just the courier.  But there was little info provided when it all turned to custard.  

FlyingSmithy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:17 pm

All I can say is when I first ordered my topbox and its rack and plate from them it took a week and half to get here.

Maybe they are using a different carrier.

I think after 2 cases going pear shape they can no longer be recommended.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3