Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Universal Third gear Top Box

+4
paul
Cal
Jimcoleman
Corsa79
8 posters

Go down

Universal Third gear Top Box  Empty Universal Third gear Top Box

Post  Corsa79 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 1:01 am

Hi  had a very productfull  weekend last weekend when I made a rack to fit into my Ventura rack mount to fit a Universal third gear top box which I got from Third Gear from Phillip island on Ebay. It doesn't seem to be a bad top box and will do me for what I want it for Top boxes was $66 and the metal was free from a properties scape metal pile  and borrowed a mates welder oh and the $17 for the killrust gloss black can to make it look pretty.

Universal Third gear Top Box  Wp_00010Universal Third gear Top Box  Wp_00012Universal Third gear Top Box  Wp_00013Universal Third gear Top Box  Wp_00014
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Universal Third gear Top Box  Empty Re: Universal Third gear Top Box

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:17 am

Job well done corsa, just dont put to much heavy stuff in the box
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sat 08 Feb 2014, 3:41 pm

Looks good, just be sure to check on the rack each ride. I had a Givi box on a Ventura rack and split the tube on two separate occasions. 1st box hit the rode out at Silverton at 120 and I didn't even know it had gone. One of the guys I was with picked it up. Second time I was on my own just out of Ararat and I noticed it had dropped in the mirror. Both side split apart both times.
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 08 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm

Cal wrote:Looks good, just be sure to check on the rack each ride. I had a Givi box on a Ventura rack and split the tube on two separate occasions. 1st box hit the rode out at Silverton at 120 and I didn't even know it had gone. One of the guys I was with picked it up. Second time I was on my own just out of Ararat and I noticed it had dropped in the mirror. Both side split apart both times.

+1 except I never lost the box ....................& I had reinforced the corners as well !

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Universal Third gear Top Box  Empty Thanks

Post  Corsa79 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 5:21 pm

Hi Thanks for the info wont be putting any more weight in it than I would with the ventura rack and bag. As I live in remote area  when I get over to the coast and exploring I like to be able to leave the bike and do some walks down to waterfalls and other attractions and was not  comfortable to leave the bike with just the bag on. I know if anyone really wants to get in they will but just a bit of piece of mind its locked and secure to bike. As for if the mounts split ill just have to make my own just didn't want the hassle of trying to get everything spot on and liked the idea I can just swap and use the bag if so desired.
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 08 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

It looks very neat but I reckon you'll find the back of the base will need supporting no matter the weight, just the vibration & bouncing will be enough to crack it, I had a gearsack rack break it's rear most mounts because they weren't far enough back, cost me a new tail piece on a then 2yo bike
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 08 Feb 2014, 7:33 pm

I take it you don't like the removable Ventura Bag system . You know ,the one that makes your bike look great when its NOT fitted . Embarassed  Suspect  Very Happy

Hang on ,on second look I see the box is removable .Phew , that's a relief . Razz
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:10 pm

Nice neat job, Corsa.
I can appreciate the functionality of luggage after years of a gearsack and now having Givi gear on the Not Bandit.
You must be careful, though. Once the luggage bug bites, you never know what it could lead to.......

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t4281-integral-luggage-for-suzuki-gsf1250-bandit?highlight=luggage

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:14 pm

Exactly , "does my ass look big in this , no dear it always looks big ".
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:00 pm

Not bad Corsa, the solid luggage is very practical and waterproof as least the Givi box on the VStrom is.

Just a suggestion, a second set of "legs" so you can position the box more forward when you don't have a pillion. I always liked to have the luggage over the rear seat on the Bandit when I didn't have a passenger. You could always make it so the load has less leverage on the mounting points.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Corsa79 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

Thanks everyone ill let you know how it goes and if I have any problems. Biggest reason I didn't mount in centre of bracket is so I can take a bedroll or swag
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down