Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scott oiler

5 posters

Go down

scott oiler Empty scott oiler

Post  talon440 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

here's a theory, a mate of mine has a 1250 bandit and has just done 105,000 ks still has the original chain and sprockets......and a scott oiler since new, ive just hit 50,000 ks last time i adjusted the chain was at 12,000 ks and havent had to touch it since, still cant pull the chain off the back sprocket
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

scott oiler Empty Re: scott oiler

Post  WISA Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:15 pm

Hey Talon,

Those milages are terrific service from one chain and sprocket............what was the free play at 12k, and at the moment on yours?

WISA

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:23 pm

had my bike 9 1/2 years, and can`t get more than 25 000.

I don`t have an oiler.

can I ask.... can you measure the chain stretch per the specs, and let us know how close it is to tolerance, so there is undoubted proof that its still in specs after that many K`s please

that will be from pin to pin by what ever chain your using
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  talon440 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:57 pm

i check my chain by pushing the chain up to my swingarm where the rubber guide is while its on the centre stand, should have enough slack to just hit the rubber, its about 38 to 40mm if you check it the way the servive manual describes, if it hits the rubber to easily ill adjust it, at 12000 ks it was a bit loose, so far has stayed the same, i dont use my bike for every day commuting just long trips away so its usually got some sort of luggage on it or my girl friend is on the back
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:08 pm

talon440 wrote:i check my chain by pushing the chain up to my swingarm where the rubber guide is while its on the centre stand, should have enough slack to just hit the rubber, its about 38 to 40mm if you check it the way the servive manual describes, if it hits the rubber to easily ill adjust it, at 12000 ks it was a bit loose, so far has stayed the same, i dont use my bike for every day commuting just long trips away so its usually got some sort of luggage on it or my girl friend is on the back
I don`t mean tension, I mean the stretch,

as the chain wears, it gets longer, and each chain will have a spec for how much it stretches before considered stuffed

this will be between a set amount of links as per the manufactures tolerance.

I`m curious as to how yours is so to determine how good the oilers are
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  talon440 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:57 am

mtbeerwah wrote:
talon440 wrote:i check my chain by pushing the chain up to my swingarm where the rubber guide is while its on the centre stand, should have enough slack to just hit the rubber, its about 38 to 40mm if you check it the way the servive manual describes, if it hits the rubber to easily ill adjust it, at 12000 ks it was a bit loose, so far has stayed the same, i dont use my bike for every day commuting just long trips away so its usually got some sort of luggage on it or my girl friend is on the back

as the chain wears, it gets longer, and each chain will have a spec for how much it stretches before considered stuffed

i know what you mean, my bike is at the back of the garage so next time i get it out ill check that for you, i usually check the wear be pulling the chain away from the rear sprocket, i think there is a measurement for that also, if i try and do that now it does'nt move
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:51 pm

I had a mate with an SV1000 and he got around 85000 out of his chain and sprocket with a Scott oiler fitted from new. 

I have fitted one to my bike and it has freed up the oem chain that I thought was needing replacement. You do have a bit of fling, but I think they are worth it
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  talon440 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

reddog wrote:I had a mate with an SV1000 and he got around 85000 out of his chain and sprocket with a Scott oiler fitted from new. 

I have fitted one to my bike and it has freed up the oem chain that I thought was needing replacement. You do have a bit of fling, but I think they are worth it
hey reddog, you should be able to adjust your drip rate so you have next to no fling off, mine is set to 3 and i get around 1000ks before i have to refill it, dont need much oil to keep it lubed
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  talon440 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:29 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:

have now measured the chain according to service manual, measured over 21 pins centre to centre service limit is 319.4mm anything over that they recommend replacing chain, my chain after 50,120ks is 317.5mm, which gives me about 2mm before i have to change it, in saying that im not giong to replace a chain that is not that badly worn even 320mm would still be ok im sure
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  WISA Thu 05 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

Talon,

A 530 chain has a standard pitch of 15.875mm.   Across 20 pitch lengths the total should be 317.5mm when new.

If you have measured the length correctly (with chain held taught and straight), it would indicate that your chain has not yet stretched in service......a terrific result for that mileage. Smile

WISA

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 05 Dec 2013, 3:21 pm

well f^%k me...sounds like I`m sold on the thing with that kind of result.

I guess one analogy to look at it is, only running your gear box with oil part time, meaning no lube= lots of raw wear, heaps of lube no wear!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  talon440 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:08 pm

WISA wrote:Talon,

A 530 chain has a standard pitch of 15.875mm.   Across 20 pitch lengths the total should be 317.5mm when new.

If you have measured the length correctly (with chain held taught and straight), it would indicate that your chain has not yet stretched in service......a terrific result for that mileage. Smile
measured to within .5mm, as the pins are not perfectly round, will measure my mates bandit chain when he replaces it that will give me a good indication about my own
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:31 pm

I'm at the 3rd adjustment. 50,000 Ks no oiler
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content