Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler

+3
barry_mcki
BanditDave
madmax
7 posters

Go down

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Empty Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler

Post  BanditDave Sun 21 Jun 2020, 2:24 pm

I posted this some time ago but some new forum members might like it.
Here’s a nice simple winter project which won’t break the bank. This electronic Chain Oiler costs around $25, even less if you have a few bits and pieces lying around (of course you have!!)
Automatic chain oiling should be standard on motorcycles, unless yours is a shaft drive.
I made a number of these using an electronic timer and solenoid from Banggood.
My last one I fitted onto Suzuki VStrom and from day zero until I sold the bike 20,000Km later there was no chain adjustment required.
The Scottoiler company claim a typical chain life of 80,000Km by using their product.
Here’s my version
Timer    $8.13
https://au.banggood.com/DC-12V-LED-Display-Digital-Delay-Timer-Control-Switch-Module-PLC-p-910168.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Solenoid              $7.76 (this is not the same one I used but should be close enough)
https://au.banggood.com/DC12V24V-Plastic-Solenoid-Valve-Water-Dispenser-Solenoid-Valve-RO-System-Solenoid-Valve-p-1464004.html?rmmds=search&ID=518349&cur_warehouse=CN

19mm tubing (for the reservoir)               $8.34
 https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-19mm-clear-vinyl-tubing-90cm_p3130572

4mm tubing 10metre roll             $9.47 (enough for 8 to 10 bikes)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-4mm-x-10m-irrigation-drip-flex-tube_p3120586

The reservoir is made from 19mm tube and starts under the seat and finishes at the solenoid which is mounted somewhere near the swing arm. The timer module lives under the seat and is wired to the tail light circuit so it only operates when the ignition is switched on.
The timer is an adjustable countdown timer which will count from 999seconds down to zero. By wiring the output relay back to the trigger input you have a continuous resetting timer. Some experimenting may be required but my result of one drop of oil every 200 seconds worked very well and also had the same oil consumption as the Scott e-oiler
The oil I used was some leftover engine oil I found in the shed.
I have included a few photos of my VStrom with the chainoiler
You will see there is a loop in the 4mm tube close to the rear sprocket. This is to keep the tube full of oil and only a drop comes out when the solenoid opens. Without the loop, if you switch off the bike the tube will completely drain and make a mess.

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Oiler010Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Oiler011

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Oiler012

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Empty Re: Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler

Post  GSX1100G Sun 21 Jun 2020, 2:40 pm

I like it 👍👍
Winter project indeed. I see a small air comp under seat as well. Keep mine in tank bag.

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sun 21 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm

GSX1100G wrote:I like it 👍👍
Winter project indeed. I see a small air comp under seat as well. Keep mine in tank bag.

The VStrom is a bit like a P76 Leyland boot. There is an enormous amount of space to carry all sorts of junk.
The air compressor ($10 from KMart) was the result of a very bad experience in outback NSW.
I had a puncture repair kit which included 5 CO2 cartridges. I purchased more for a total of 10 cartridges.
I picked up a nasty on the road between Burke and Cobar. It was three (3) rusty nails joined together presumably from a nail gun.
Removing the nails left a hole around 5mm by 1mm.
To successfully push plugs (the sticky stringy stuff) in to the tyre requires the tyre to be somewhat inflated.
After using 6 cartridges and getting nowhere, another group member appeared with an air compressor.
With the air compressor running flat out we managed to get three (3) sticky stringy things into the wound in the tyre.
Without the constant air pressure from the inside the insertion tool would just bottom out on the inside of the rim.
The tyre held pressure and I arrived home back im Mackay 4500Kms later with the tyre still OK.
The tyre lasted a further 6000Km before being replaced.
The moral of the story is to throw away the silly little CO2 cartridges and invest in a $10 compressor.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Sun 21 Jun 2020, 5:10 pm

Got mine from Dick Smith, same price. Put aligator clips on end, can connect to 3m " jumper leads" if neede, also in tank bag. Would prefer a solid rubber plug or patch, but, in no takers, will do the stringy bits myself.

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 25 Jun 2020, 6:24 pm

BanditDave wrote:

The VStrom is a bit like a P76 Leyland boot. There is an enormous amount of space to carry all sorts of junk.
The air compressor ($10 from KMart) was the result of a very bad experience in outback NSW.
I had a puncture repair kit which included 5 CO2 cartridges. I purchased more for a total of 10 cartridges.
I picked up a nasty on the road between Burke and Cobar. It was three (3) rusty nails joined together presumably from a nail gun.
To successfully push plugs (the sticky stringy stuff) in to the tyre requires the tyre to be somewhat inflated.
After using 6 cartridges and getting nowhere, another group member appeared with an air compressor.
With the air compressor running flat out we managed to get three (3) sticky stringy things into the wound in the tyre.
Without the constant air pressure from the inside the insertion tool would just bottom out on the inside of the rim.
The tyre held pressure and I arrived home back im Mackay 4500Kms later with the tyre still OK.
The moral of the story is to throw away the silly little CO2 cartridges and invest in a $10 compressor.

Until the compressor shits itself and you are left in the shit!
On a long ride I carry both. First choice will always be the compressor. The cartridges only there for redundancy.
Around town I only carry the repair kit and the cartridges.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Thu 25 Jun 2020, 7:09 pm

The flat that started the chain/sprocket/water pump/etc cleaning was plugged by local servo - Ducati guy. Bought the versions he uses for cars and on bikes. Brand is Slime, big thick plugs, the one he used really took some effort to get in.

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 25 Jun 2020, 8:25 pm

madmax wrote:
BanditDave wrote:

On a long ride I carry both. First choice will always be the compressor. The cartridges only there for redundancy.

I also considered that.
Having used the compressor to get me out of trouble the first time, when I got home I dumped it and spent a further $10.00 on a new one. Extravagant to the extreme ay!
For anyone relying CO2 cartridges, may I suggest next time you are due for a new tyre and at home in a controlled environment, drill a hole or two in your worn tyre and have a go at repairing using only the CO2 cartridges. The biggestest issue was the Bandit tyre (185.......) without any air in it is quite soft and collapses straight back on the rim when you attempt to push the sticky string things. I don't think they work. They [the CO2 cartridges] certainly didn't work for me!

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 25 Jun 2020, 10:07 pm

BanditDave wrote:
madmax wrote:
BanditDave wrote:

I also considered that.
Having used the compressor to get me out of trouble the first time, when I got home I dumped it and spent a further $10.00 on a new one. Extravagant to the extreme ay!
For anyone relying CO2 cartridges, may I suggest next time you are due for a new tyre and at home in a controlled environment, drill a hole or two in your worn tyre and have a go at repairing using only the CO2 cartridges. The biggestest issue was the Bandit tyre (185.......) without any air in it is quite soft and collapses straight back on the rim when you attempt to push the sticky string things. I don't think they work. They [the CO2 cartridges] certainly didn't work for me!
I, have Dave, took 3 cartridges to inflate the rear tyre to enough to limp to the nearest station to top up the tyre. I now carry 5. 
As I said my first choice is the compressor, but anyone relying on one system is a fool who will be left stranded on the side of the road.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 26 Jun 2020, 1:17 am

Brian, remember that bloke we met at Phillip Island a couple of years ago, did you grab his info about how to use CO2 cartridges correctly ?

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 26 Jun 2020, 8:17 am

barry_mcki wrote:Brian, remember that bloke we met at Phillip Island a couple of years ago, did you grab his info about how to use CO2 cartridges correctly ?
Was that in the pavilion? 

I remember reading awhile ago that the main problem is people often open the valve to fast and the cartridge freezes up. You then don't get the full amount out of it.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Fri 26 Jun 2020, 9:42 am

I guess in my situation the hole in the tyre was a slot around 5mm x 1mm caused by 3 nails.
Once I removed the three nails the air coming out of the slot was way more than the CO2 cartridge could replenish.
The air compressor was only just adequate but things got better after the first and then the second sticky/stringy things got inserted.
It took 3 x sticky/stringy things in the slot next to each other to eventually seal the tyre.
The repair was done by a travelling companion, Tex O'Grady of Tex and Bundy fame who had some previous experience.
There was also no way I was going to get a replacement tyre on a Sunday in Cobar.

I guess I did have a "Plan B"
It would be to ring the RAC in NSW and have my bike transported to their nearest depot, probably in Cobar.
I think the nearest motorcycle tyre dealer would be 450Km west at Broken Hill or 300Km east at Dubbo

I think the outcome was a good one all things considered.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:46 am

madmax wrote:
barry_mcki wrote:Brian, remember that bloke we met at Phillip Island a couple of years ago, did you grab his info about how to use CO2 cartridges correctly ?

I remember reading awhile ago that the main problem is people often open the valve to fast and the cartridge freezes up. You then don't get the full amount out of it.
Yes in the big pavilion before where the new bikes were displayed (a bit down from the BMW's I think).  I remember he did a trip round the world, and had a little yellow picture book to help him communicate with all the different people he met, (ended up getting one of those books of eBay for our aborted plans to visit China).  Think he was flogging of repair kits and spoke about how to use the CO2 bottles correctly, though he had a pamphlet on it.

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 27 Jun 2020, 9:46 am

barry_mcki wrote:
madmax wrote:

Yes in the big pavilion before where the new bikes were displayed (a bit down from the BMW's I think).  I remember he did a trip round the world, and had a little yellow picture book to help him communicate with all the different people he met, (ended up getting one of those books of eBay for our aborted plans to visit China).  Think he was flogging of repair kits and spoke about how to use the CO2 bottles correctly, though he had a pamphlet on it.
I remember that guy. Didn't he have a GS there that he toured the world on? Heavily loaded up with everything he carried.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 27 Jun 2020, 9:50 am

BanditDave wrote:I guess in my situation the hole in the tyre was a slot around 5mm x 1mm caused by 3 nails.
Once I removed the three nails the air coming out of the slot was way more than the CO2 cartridge could replenish.
The air compressor was only just adequate but things got better after the first and then the second sticky/stringy things got inserted.
It took 3 x sticky/stringy things in the slot next to each other to eventually seal the tyre.
The repair was done by a travelling companion, Tex O'Grady of Tex and Bundy fame who had some previous experience.
There was also no way I was going to get a replacement tyre on a Sunday in Cobar.

I guess I did have a "Plan B"
It would be to ring the RAC in NSW and have my bike transported to their nearest depot, probably in Cobar.
I think the nearest motorcycle tyre dealer would be 450Km west at Broken Hill or 300Km east at Dubbo

I think the outcome was a good one all things considered.
Yep sometimes you gotta do whatever gets you by.
 It sounds like the hole was outside the norm for a roadside repair, so you were lucky you managed to make it work.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:26 pm

I don't think a lot of people are prepared for simple things like tyre failures and the support available.
On a previous ride back from Darwin and being reassured by the bike shop in Darwin that my rear tyre would easily see me home back to Mackay.
I got as far as Mount Isa and there was way too much canvas showing for me to continue.
I stopped at the jap bike dealership looking to purchase a 180/55-17, probably the most common tyre on bigger road bikes.
They didn't have one in stock and suggested I try the harley shop. Same answer, none in stock.
Now this is mid afternoon on a Thursday. He offered to get me one sent from Brisbane but it wouldn't arrive until at least the following Tuesday.
I called in to a car tyre shop and he couldn't help me but suggested I phone the truck tyre shop in Cloncurry.
Good news! He could get me one overnight from Townsville but it wouldn't be cheap. He also advised it would be in Cloncurry by 7:30 the following morning.
I arrived in Cloncurry around 8:00 and my tyre was waiting for me Yay!
The truck dealership then advised he was not able to legally remove motorcycle wheels, some insurance issue apparently.
He said if I removed and replaced the wheel from the bike he could change the tyre on the rim.
All sorted and I was on my way in less than 1 hour.

Another tyre story
Last November I was enroute to Tasmania from Hervey Bay.
About 15-20Kms before Toowoomba one of my trailer tyres literally exploded.
I changed it for the spare in one of the most scariest places on the side of the very busy highway.
I arrived in Toowoomba about 9:30 on the Saturday morning.
Just for the record, Toowoomba is a city of 130,000 people, not just a little town.
I went to Bob Jane Tmart. Sorry we don't stock 13" trailer tyres, try Beaurepaires. Sorry we don't stock 13" trailer tyres either. Try Jax Tyres.
Great news. Jax have one in stock but you will need to come back on Monday for a fitting.
I explained that I had a ferry booking on Tuesday evening which I would miss.
I offered to do the tyre fitting myself if he would let me use his machine.
I think he started to feel a little sorry for me and reluctantly organized the tyre change

I think the moral to the story is don't leave home without a fully equipped support vehicle.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

truck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler Empty Chain oiler

Post  Brigand Fri 10 Jul 2020, 11:11 am

I can vouch for this chain oiler, I already had a scott oiler on the bandit before I found this gadget but I made one for my other bike, absolutely brilliant!!!
My timing ended up as 1 second on time every 70 or 80 seconds, seems to depend on the flow rate of the viscosity of the oil in the tube, I have used everything from auto trans fluid to gear oil, all are good.
I just use any dregs from oil bottles I have left over, its amazing how many K's of lube you get by just draining the dregs from empty oil containers.
Glad you reposted this so others can make one and enjoy the experience of not oiling that chain before  and during a ride.

Dave (Brigand) Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler 959052286
Brigand
Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sat 11 Jul 2020, 11:29 am

This is great.
I have a pro-oiler thanks to this forum and it has great features although the setup is very nerdy. They are expensive to buy new.

A lot simpler and less expensive oiler would work just as well but just not as clean.

This design appeals to me except I would like to use the pump that pro-oiler use ( or similar) basically it delivers a fixed amount of oil per pulse regardless of the viscosity. I've looked but I'm not sure what this type of pump is called or what other applications might use such a pump.

Any suggestions? Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brigand Sat 11 Jul 2020, 11:36 am

Re-Cycled wrote:This is great.
I have a pro-oiler thanks to this forum and it has great features although the setup is very nerdy. They are expensive to buy new.

A lot simpler and less expensive oiler would work just as well but just not as clean.

This design appeals to me except I would like to use the pump that pro-oiler use ( or similar) basically it delivers a fixed amount of oil per pulse regardless of the viscosity. I've looked but I'm not sure what this type of pump is called or what other applications might use such a pump.

Any suggestions? Smile
I too have searched for some type of solenoid pump and failed, chameleon oiler uses this as well and would make a great improvement.

Dave (Brigand)
Brigand
Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Sat 11 Jul 2020, 1:58 pm

Old fuel pump maybe ?

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpie Sun 12 Jul 2020, 7:52 pm

Last year I purchased one of these from Ebay.

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler S-l140Aluminum Chain Oiler Motorcycle Lubrication System Fluid Reservoir Oil Tank Cup

( 254300266015 )

It works well but even if you have travelled far enough for the correct amount of oil to have run out, when you stop, oil would still drip out onto the ground. So I added one of these to the mix half way down the tube near the swing arm pivot.

Dave's Electronic Chain Oiler S-l140Gas Vacuum Fuel Pump Valve Petcock 50cc 125cc 150cc ATV Go-Kart Scooter Mop S3V5  ( 124009076709 )

This worked fairly well as when the engine stopped, the vacuum would stop and the valve would close stopping the flow of oil. However there was still a small amount of oil in the tube between the vacuum valve and the outlet at the chain which would drip onto the ground.

The answer to this problem was in the last step of Dave's installation instructions.

"You will see there is a loop in the 4mm tube close to the rear sprocket. This is to keep the tube full of oil and only a drop comes out when the solenoid opens. Without the loop, if you switch off the bike the tube will completely drain and make a mess."

And it worked!Very Happy
kelpie
kelpie

GSX1100G likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 13 Jul 2020, 3:16 pm

Just for the record, my oiler does not use a pump, just a simple solenoid valve.

The advantage of not using a pump is that there is no pressure, other than atmosphere so oil leaks should not be an issue

I used around 500mm of 20mm pvc tube from Bunnings as the oil reservoir. This holds around 120mL of oil. The Scott eOiler uses a 60mL reservoir for a claimed 1500Km so mine should have a range of 3000Km before refilling.

The electronic timer is adjustable up to 999 seconds in 1 second increments. I fould 200 seconds was near enough to the Scott oiler spec although this depends on the oil type.

The timer was put in to a little zippy bag (what a tight arse!) so I didn't need to invest in a plastic box. It is powered from the tail light circuit. All the other tube fittings came from Bunnings so are easy to source.

My whole design from the beginning was based on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid!)

For under $25 how can you go wrong. Apart from the electronic timer and the solenoid the remaining items are 100% Australian made (who am I kidding!). Well the labour component certainly is.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Re-Cycled and Brigand like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content