Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rider training Sunshine Coast

+2
gus
pdrider
6 posters

Go down

Rider training Sunshine Coast Empty Rider training Sunshine Coast

Post  pdrider Fri 08 Nov 2013, 8:59 pm

Returned back to riding about 3 years ago (pretty casual and only occasional rides) after a good few years off from 2 wheels. I know I love riding and recently invested in the GSX1250fa and love it. Now I'm older and far more cautious than my younger days and seem to have lost some of that confidence at speed and particularly highway riding. So, interested to know if anyone has experience on Sunshine Coast of a good riding instructor for some one on one confidence rebuilding. I know time will get me there eventually but some coaching would help to make sure I'm riding the best way I can. With a recent dress code change at work, I'm now able to ride several times through the week even if only a short distance (gotta love Qld weather) and this will help the confidence grow. Anyway, any feedback on a good instructor up on the Coast would be good. 

Cheers

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Rider training Sunshine Coast Empty Re: Rider training Sunshine Coast

Post  gus Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:29 am

Nothing beats roadtime  . Half an hour here and there isn't going to work but a good 300kls ride will . Ive ridden all my life and I still get a bit nervios
the night before I set out on a week trip .It disaperars about 1kl into the trip normally but i still hate city riding .
I'm from Sunny Coast what area are you from ? I think you owe me a coffee in Kenilworth .Wink
Not a chiropractor are you .?Neutral
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:18 pm

Hey gus. You are right about the time and particularly longer journey's. I'm already using the GSX more than the V-Strom as it feels much more stable. I'm in Caloundra and have done the Kenilworth stretch many times. I do ride with a few friends now and again and happily act as guard at the back!!

Still think a small amount of basic instruction and lots of K's would eventually do the trick, although I have had this extra button in the head with caution in it for almost 50yrs, it's just been allowed to take a bigger hold for a few years without a bike to ride.

I'm sure I remember that coffee now gus.... must pay you back one day Very Happy

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:11 pm

I think a sunshine coast ride is well overdue

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 6:52 am

holdenman wrote:I think a sunshine coast ride is well overdue
John ( Tractor Tom )  and I were only talking about going up that way to visit Gus.  When ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 10 Nov 2013, 7:23 am

Road time is excellent.  But, you will learn more, more quickly and develop a better understanding with the aid of training.  Returning riders are statistically significantly more vulnerable and that is why in the ACT we have a special Stay Upright course called 'Masters' that is heavily subsidized by the government as a road safety initiative.

Speaking from my own experience, modern bikes are a world apart from the bikes I learned to ride on and offer vastly improved levels of traction that are difficult to access without practice (on a track) and tuition.  But, you now have a wonderful opportunity to hit the 'Reset' and learn how to do it better, and be a safer and necessarily more competent and confident rider.

Suggest you have a look at what Stay Upright offers in your area, I think Bernie Hatton (Tony's nephew for those who recall the heydays of the Castrol 6 Hour), does stuff in your area (his company is called Top Rider), and California Superbike School is also excellent, (don't be put off thinking it's a racers school, the curriculum at the lower levels is totally applicable to road riding).

Again, yes get out there, get kms under your bum, but its easier to establish good habits early on than un-learn bad ones, (provided of course they don't get you into such trouble that you are discouraged from riding altogether).

Who was it that has just qualified as an instructor? would be edifying to get his perspective.

Last edited by Dekenai on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad grammar)
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 10 Nov 2013, 7:51 am

Your not getting my scone .Razz 

Rider training Sunshine Coast IMG_0070_zpse0a622b8
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 10 Nov 2013, 9:02 am

gus wrote:Your not getting my scone .Razz 

Rider training Sunshine Coast IMG_0070_zpse0a622b8
looks like I may need to bring a shotgun and a sack. affraid  .  Are you free on any given Saturday Gus ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:49 am

Dekenai wrote:Road time is excellent.  But, you will learn more, more quickly and develop a better understanding with the aid of training.  Returning riders are statistically significantly more vulnerable and that is why in the ACT we have a special Stay Upright course called 'Masters' that is heavily subsidized by the government as a road safety initiative.

Speaking from my own experience, modern bikes are a world apart from the bikes I learned to ride on and offer vastly improved levels of traction that are difficult to access without practice (on a track) and tuition.  But, you now have a wonderful opportunity to hit the 'Reset' and learn how to do it better, and be a safer and necessarily more competent and confident rider.

Suggest you have a look at what Stay Upright offers in your area, I think Bernie Hatton (Tony's nephew for those who recall the heydays of the Castrol 6 Hour), does stuff in your area (his company is called Top Rider), and California Superbike School is also excellent, (don't be put off thinking it's a racers school, the curriculum at the lower levels is totally applicable to road riding).

Again, yes get out there, get kms under your bum, but its easier to establish good habits early on than un-learn bad ones, (provided of course they don't get you into such trouble that you are discouraged from riding altogether).

Who was it that has just qualified as an instructor? would be edifying to get his perspective.
Thanks Dekenai. I did a 3 hour session of very basic items with Stay Upright in Brizzie and that did help. I am thinking of doing there advanced day on the Mount Cotton Track early next year. Race training and me def wouldn't be the way to go. Went for a great ride early this morning and was quite happy to let other riders pass whilst I build the confidence. I do take your point though about the basics being relevant for road riding. Will look at To Rider as I've heard of the Bernie Hatton guy but just thought that was racing stuff... Thanks for the info.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:50 am

Dekenai wrote:Road time is excellent.  But, you will learn more, more quickly and develop a better understanding with the aid of training.  Returning riders are statistically significantly more vulnerable and that is why in the ACT we have a special Stay Upright course called 'Masters' that is heavily subsidized by the government as a road safety initiative.

Mpottsy Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:02 am

Just PM'd him thanks Paul

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content