Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery going flat all the time????

+3
Ewok1958
SuzySuzuki
ausrock50
7 posters

Go down

Battery going flat all the time???? Empty Battery going flat all the time????

Post  ausrock50 Mon 04 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

G'day people,

I only ride my bike occasionally but find my battery is always flat even though I recharge it regulary. I sometimes only leave it for a few days and it goes flat. It's only a new battery and I have been through 3 of them since I bought the bike in late 2011. I didn't take a great deal of notice of it at the time as I was often away for extended periods without the bike being run. (up to 3 months)

Any tips on checking the electrics for what may be draining the battery would be appreciated? I suspect my GPS charger could be the culprit.

Cheers,

Aus
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Battery going flat all the time???? Empty Re: Battery going flat all the time????

Post  SuzySuzuki Mon 04 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

I was having problems with a car battery, and even just having the phone charger plugged in, but not connected to the phone, while its in the garage, was indeed sending the battery flat. Perhaps it is the GPS who is the culprit, or the stator (stater? ), as was my husband's Tiger problem recently. We bought a new battery and it still wouldnt start, and Peter Stevens found the stator needed replacing.. and nice pricely sum of $700..... Good luck

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Battery going flat all the time???? Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Battery going flat all the time???? Empty Re: Battery going flat all the time????

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

GPS units do chew through batteries so you might be right.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:05 pm

I presume the regulator rectifier recall was done on your bike ................if so then I would start looking at anything after market fitted as the culprit especially as you've already tried a new battery

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

Which models had that recall?

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Battery going flat all the time???? Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

It was the early GSF series (07 and 08 from memory).

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/news/recall-service-campaigns/road.html

My battery goes flat too if I haven;t ridden it for around 3 weeks. Either hook up a battery tender or get a Solar charger to keep it in good shape while you are away and it'll be ready when you arrive back home.

I run a solar charger, but prefer my Battery fighter to be honest. If I was to buy a new one I'd get a Ctek http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers/12v the one I have for my thumper is an absolute ripper
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 04 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

Yep reddog is correct

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/suzuki-recalls-70000-motorcycles-faulty-rectifier/

ausrock50 has an 08 I believe

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

A dealer should be able to find out if the recall has been done on your bike.
If it has I would run a load check on the starter because I thought I had a battery issue but it turned out to be a farked starter.
After that I would disconnect a terminal and reconnect in a few days. If the battery is flat then you have a rooted battery. If not disconnect one accessory at a time. This will take a while.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  ausrock50 Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

Thanks for that poeple.

I have just finished recharging the battery with my trickle feed charger(Powertech) and it only took a couple of hours this time and yet it normally takes overnight. Disconnected the charger and pushed the starter and nothing. Re-connected the charger and it started. scratch

So I'm thinking maybe 2wa is onto something with the starter. That is the 1st time it has ever done that after a re-charge though and a battery,from memory, only has to be 0.2volts less then required voltage and it will not start.

My light, on pushing starter button, is really dimming which would normally indicate a f*#ked battery.

I will have to get the rectifier checked anyway but my biggest prob with that is the only Suzi dealer anywhere near me is a TeamMoto dealer and this lot have a terrible reputation.

The joys of electrical faults. confused Out with the multimeter and sit and scratch my thick, bald head anyway. Rolling Eyes
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:05 pm

ausrock50 wrote:

My light, on pushing starter button, is really dimming which would normally indicate a f*#ked battery.

Or extreme current draw.

Mate note down the vin and other details and ring any Suzuki dealer and if they have a spare 5 minutes they should be able to find out for you if the recall was done. Shit I even did mine at a Yamaha dealer.

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Android induced typo!)

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  ausrock50 Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:20 pm

Thanks for that 2wa. The dealer I use is a Yammy dealer and they do a great job. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks again mate. Very Happy
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm

SuzySuzuki wrote:I was having problems with a car battery, and even just having the phone charger plugged in, but not connected to the phone, while its in the garage, was indeed sending the battery flat. Perhaps it is the GPS who is the culprit, or the stator (stater? ), as was my husband's Tiger problem recently. We bought a new battery and it still wouldnt start, and Peter Stevens found the stator needed replacing.. and nice pricely sum of $700..... Good luck

I rewind stators
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down