Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with starting

+4
dhula
Rustic
madmax
shawry66
8 posters

Go down

Help with starting Empty Help with starting

Post  shawry66 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:21 am

Hi

I'm having problem with starting.......bugger

Have been having trouble starting bandit. It will start if I jump start with jumper leads on car.

I have put the battery on the charger...Still no start.

I have taken battery to get tested at battery shop. They said that it was fully charged.

I have checked the wiring from battery terminals to the starter motor... All good no breakages anywhere.

i don't like the sound of what I have been reading about starter motors cost wise. She has only done 9400k, not many k's for an 09 Bandit.

As I am not experianced in the mechanics department (learning as I go).

Is there a better quality starter motor that used in place of origonal one or is that the only one to be used?

Also can a replacement be put in by yourself or do I have to take to either Auto elec or Bike shop?

Any help be appreciated.
shawry66
shawry66

Back to top Go down

Help with starting Empty Re: Help with starting

Post  madmax Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:41 am

The battery might be fully charged but doesn't have enough amps to crank over the starter motor. When you connect it to a car with jumper leads you are using a much bigger battery with a lot more cold cranking amps.

There could be a problem with the starter motor that is causing it to require more amps than it normally would. However before I'd go down that path I'd be load testing the battery

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Tue 11 Dec 2012, 7:19 pm

Have you checked the 'tip over switch' (behind the right side cover) side stand switch etc... May not be the prob if you can jump her but worth a look

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 11 Dec 2012, 7:40 pm

If the bike starts from a jump start it won't be the TOS or any other sensor most likely.

My bet would be either dirty or loose leads (check both ends and make sure they are clean/fuzz free) or a battery with a dead cell.
The battery shop should have load tested your battery but by the sound of it, didn't.
When you try to start the bike do you hear anything (click, groan etc).

Being a 09 and if it's the original battery play it safe and get a new one as it's now 3 years old and probably hadit.

If it still plays funny buggers after checking leads and with a new battery, we'll have to keep looking.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

If it starts with a jumper to the existing terminals, I'll bet Rustic's left one that it's a sulphated battery. You can expect about 3 yrs from a battery, although this can vary significantly
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  shawry66 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 8:13 pm

Thanks for your help.

I will pull it apart and have look at it.

Cheers
shawry66
shawry66

Back to top Go down

Post  Ron173 Fri 14 Dec 2012, 7:20 am

+1 on the battery, might have 12v but lost its capacity to produce amps required for cranking. Either that or another possibility not mentioned yet is the clutch switch interlock
Ron173
Ron173

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:09 pm

don't think the clutch switch will be the guilty party as the bike fires up when jumped started

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Ron173 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

dhula wrote:don't think the clutch switch will be the guilty party as the bike fires up when jumped started

perhaps but not necessarily, I'm not sure how its wired but it could be just required to get starter motor to turn.

fact it starts when jumped is just the ignition circuit on, your not trying to turn starter motor, so circuit could be good but clutch switch still crook but not noticed cos not turning starter motor...

Just suggestion, if youve replaced battery n not the prob i'd certainly be trying to get a diagram and eliminate clutch switch.
Ron173
Ron173

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

Ron173 wrote:

fact it starts when jumped is just the ignition circuit on, your not trying to turn starter motor,

Sorry that doesn't make sense. He says it starts when jumped off the car, that is he's jumping it using his car battery and the bikes starter motor. So yes you are trying to turn the starter over.
Now I haven't seen the wiring diagram but I'd bet that the clutch switch cuts out the starter relay. Therefore the switch must be ok because the starter does work when given enough grunt. (from a good battery)

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

madmax wrote:
Ron173 wrote:

fact it starts when jumped is just the ignition circuit on, your not trying to turn starter motor,

Sorry that doesn't make sense. He says it starts when jumped off the car, that is he's jumping it using his car battery and the bikes starter motor. So yes you are trying to turn the starter over.
Now I haven't seen the wiring diagram but I'd bet that the clutch switch cuts out the starter relay. Therefore the switch must be ok because the starter does work when given enough grunt. (from a good battery)

I think there is some confusion between Jump start (using jumper leads from a second battery) and Clutch start (pushing vehicle and dumping the clutch to turn engine over) Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:
madmax wrote:
Ron173 wrote:

I think there is some confusion between Jump start (using jumper leads from a second battery) and Clutch start (pushing vehicle and dumping the clutch to turn engine over) Smile

Yeah I figured that, but the OP clear says he jumped it off the car with jumper leads.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ron173 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 7:12 am

madmax wrote:
Re-Cycled wrote:
madmax wrote:
Ron173 wrote:

Yeah I figured that, but the OP clear says he jumped it off the car with jumper leads.

Yes my fault!

Read it wrong n thought he was pushing it and jumping on.Embarassed

Ignore that then

Woke the thread up a bit though....Smile
Ron173
Ron173

Back to top Go down

Post  shawry66 Wed 19 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm

Just to confirm re starting the bandit,

I did use jumper leads amd started bike with the car battery.

I shall run a volt meter along the circut from battery to starter motor to see what is happening.

Cheers for the help and good debate as to what it may be Smile

Still hoping it's just the battery that I need to replace.
shawry66
shawry66

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Wed 19 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm

I'm no mechanic, but I would look at the battery terminals first. If you are clipping the jumper leads on there, then it is giving the full 13.2 volts from the car battery to the cable connecting to the starter. If the cables are not making good connection to the battery posts, then you will encounter a voltage drop across there and it will either not crank the bike over or will do it slowly.

Check the voltage of the battery as the bike is cranking. If it drops below about 10 volts, then try a new battery. And make sure you are actually testing on the battery posts - not just on the wires connecting to the battery (or if you do clip the multimeter to the cables note if there is much difference in voltage as the motor is cranking).
stevemcc
stevemcc

Back to top Go down

Post  shawry66 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

All fixed now cheers

Put in new battery and all good. Have had the battery for a nearly a month and no issues.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Cheers
shawry66
shawry66

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

Thought so. Usually the simple things. alien
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content