Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philip Island??

+3
Re-Cycled
Ewok1958
mtbeerwah
7 posters

Go down

Philip Island?? Empty Philip Island??

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 09 Sep 2012, 4:59 pm

A show of hands who "IS" actually going to the GP?

I`ve got my ticket. Bike holiday down and back from Gladstone QLD.

A few ways I can go. Without going into detail,as I haven`t yet worked out the precise route. But if was to go the shortest route,staight down the guts of OZ,its 2100km there, which blue me away,cause if I was to go coast its 3500km. But I need scenic twisties where ever I can.

Somewhere in the run,must do alpine high country, the Oxley highway(which I keep on hearing alot talk about,and when I see youtube clips,I understand), got to do Bathurst,and others i`m still to hear and explore.

So..can`t wait,and its just around the corner.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Philip Island?? Empty Re: Philip Island??

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 09 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm

Unfortunately it clashes with a wedding I'm attending. So no go for the GP. Crying or Very sad
But having attended WSBK over the past couple of years, I can recommend the following route from Bright, over the alpine country via Hotham and Omeo and then a further nice twistie bit from Gormandale to Yarram before a run through to the Island. But it's about 550kms for the day. Have fun with the trip planning! Smile
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 09 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

I can't go, but if you want Oxley plus Putty Rd cheers

Try this Serving Suggestion

Don't get tempted by the back roads between Wauchope and Taree unless you are on an adventure bike.

The section from Taree to Gloucester is pretty good, the road surface from Gloucester to Singleton leaves a lot to be desired in places, the homicidal maniacs in Dungog Shire think a good way to repair a road is spray tar on it and scatter fine gravel over the top.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

I have it tentitively locked in, but from sunbury, not a big trip. I may be taking the cbx anyway hoping to catch up wth a few. Safe traveling MtBWrth and anyone / everyone else!
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

maybe a silly question,but gonna ask. Late OCT in high lands..snow or not?

I ask this,as I used to do alot of hiking,and Mt Kosciuszko 9yr ago,on 27th DEC,it snowed throughout the highland..I think I just answered my own question,be prepared as much as poss, just don`t want some freaky ice on the road.

The PUTTY road..now thats a name I have heard highly recommended,and until just mentioned,had forgotten the road. So thanks for the reminder.

Thanks all for road suggestions
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm

Happy to offer a few suggestions and alternatives if you like.

My brother and some mates hit snow in January this year so be prepared.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:Happy to offer a few suggestions and alternatives if you like.

lay it on me..and if you might know some good pubs,or cheap arse accommodation on the way,chuck it in aswell, but only if you know some, i`ll sleep under the stars,with ear plugs in to stop the bugs get`n in

appreciated!!!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

Have put in for holidays so the plan is to GO (casey ) .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

I won't be there but have been to the WSBK's the last couple of years.. my vote is the NSW/VIC Alpine route... via Jindabyne, Thredbo, Corryong, Mt. Beauty, over the top of Mt. Hotham to Omeo and Lakes Entrance.. Best section of roads I've been on.. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:32 am

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t3052-motogp-and-tassie-road-trip

Me and the Wife are going as we are doing a big two week tour here are our plans for getting to Phillip Island.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 10 Sep 2012, 3:19 pm

Mpottsy wrote:https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t3052-motogp-and-tassie-road-trip

Me and the Wife are going as we are doing a big two week tour here are our plans for getting to Phillip Island.

i did read your previous post,and am extremely jealous of the tassie trip. On a bike there is part of the bucket list.

I plan on two weeks as well,but most of my exploring will be related to the journey I must take,in order to get to the Island. A few deviations,but not major ones. Two weeks will be up before you know it.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
Re-Cycled wrote:Happy to offer a few suggestions and alternatives if you like.

lay it on me..and if you might know some good pubs,or cheap arse accommodation on the way,chuck it in aswell, but only if you know some, i`ll sleep under the stars,with ear plugs in to stop the bugs get`n in

appreciated!!!

Ok I don't know how this would work in with your route and stops etc.

Grafton to Walcha This is not a bad section, I've been there twice. The only place I've stayed on the route is the Thunderbolt's Inn Hotel in Uralla not bad and no one caught anything or was eaten by bed bugs Smile both times they let us put the bikes in the yard behind the Hotel. There is also a fairly modern Bowling club not far from the hotel and another hotel just up the hill a bit. More info on this thread Overnight Ride - Oxley 19-20th March 2011

Major towns with fuel, cafes etc. Grafton, Armidale, Uralla, Walcha, Wauchope, Taree, Gloucester, [Stroud], Dungog, Singleton and Upper Colo.

After Western Sydney we went this way http://goo.gl/maps/jJAfg and stayed at The Loaded Dog Hotel at Tarago, not too bad around $50 for the night includes DIY breakfast in the morning (cereal, toast, jam and coffee) I'm sure some of the Southern members can help you out more on this section. After Colo Heights there is fuel at Mt Victoria and Oberon and Goulburn.

Get back to the forum once you work out where the stops need to be and I'm sure the guys will help out.

Now... on the way back you could try this section as a good alternative Bathurst to Denman

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:54 pm

Thanks for that Re-Cycled.

Over and above the call of duty.

You have already changed mind on one part of the journey:Grafton to Armidale. Was going to bypass that,but now do it
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down