Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning to ride on dirt - Perth

5 posters

Go down

Learning to ride on dirt - Perth Empty Learning to ride on dirt - Perth

Post  Vellies Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

Okay, not sure where to put this, and I apologise in advance for a stupid "newby" question.

Background - I have a WeeStrom and GSX1250FA. I have never ridden a dirt bike, and am beginning to think I would take the Weestrom on some more exiting trips that involve dirt roads. HOWEVER, those who have ridden one know that the Wee is a top heavy bastard at low speed, and I suspect not the sort of thing to learn on. And she is so pretty, I do not want her full of scrapes and bruses Mad

My question is this. Is there a place I can go to learn to ride on dirt, like a training school or something. I would like to avoid having to buy another bike to avoid divorse if possible Laughing

If this is not an option, where are good spots to go and ride as a beginner. Perhaps I'll buy some old POS 125 or 250 or something.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Learning to ride on dirt - Perth Empty Re: Learning to ride on dirt - Perth

Post  Rustic Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:39 pm

If you live near a beach take it for a blast in the sand.
The good thing is dependant on how close you ride to the water depends on how hard the surface is.
I.e Close to the water is firm up on the dunes is soft.

Plus if you bin her there's bugger all damage!

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 16 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

Buy a cheap licensed dirt bike and clock up some kms. I love getting on my DRZ400E for a bit of trail riding. It too isn't the lightest, but the feel of the rear end letting go and then power over steering through corners is fantastic. It'll make you a far better road rider especially in the wet as you won't get so tensed up when a "situation" arises.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Mon 16 Jul 2012, 3:39 am

Has anyone had any expeience with these guys http://www.westcoastsafaris.com.au/Intro_1

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 16 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

I haven't been on a run with these guys before, but people I know that have reckoned it was worth it. They normally ride out from Bunbury towards Nannup on some pretty good terrain. I'd use their bikes (which are normally Yamaha TTR 250s) rather than potentially binning your Strom.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:37 am

the wee isn't the best bike to learn on but can hold it's own and if you have the gumption will do what you want. it's a heavy pig if it goes over and after a couple of times will certainly make you earn your pay.
don't let that put you off tho

not sure where in perth you are (NOR/SOR) but there are some dirt roads down south near preston beach (so not far from mandurah) that are a starting point when trying dirt for the 1st time on the wee I reckon.
me and the mrs have started going down there to learn the ropes and see if it is for us.
Last time we was there the road was heavily corrugated so probably not the best for a first timer but nothing you couldn't handle I reckon. if my mrs can do it, anyone can give it a go as she was packing it while riding the road. to her credit she stuck to it tho..
gota be happy to bin it and not get upset in case the worst happens (not saying it will, but be prepared)

re riding the wee on sand, i say don't do it until you get some dirt time under your belt. the little bit of sand i've done confirms what i've read about the wee being hard work in sand. you need to go hard and hang on or you'll be shagged quickly.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

Thanks Dhula. I am NOR (Joondalup). Yeah I am pulling my hair out. Saw a DRZ400E for a bargain this weekend but the government is NOT HAPPY about the thought of a 3rd bike. Started thinking about selling the Wee and getting the DRZ, but I have a LOT of money in the Wee, and is a really nice bike. Now I am looking at a second set of rims for the Wee and thinking of TKC80 tyres for instance, so can swap them and the PR3s as and when required quickly. At least if I have proper off road tyres I recon I am less likely to wipe out. I am also put crash bars on recently. This is driving me insane. I also have to ask myself where will I find time to ride all these things. I do commute every day (just clocked 18,000km on the Wee in 15 months). Anyway, just rambling, the biking addiction is driving me insane, perhaps I should take up smoking instead again Mad Mad Very Happy

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

More info on this cheap DRZ??? My mate was looking at possibly buying one Smile

Just chucked a dirt bike tyre on the DRZ. Will go for a run this weekend and see if the front end sticks better than it used to.

Back on topic, that west coast safari mob now has there own park. You could give them a call and see if they would be willing to do show you the ropes so to speak.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Tue 31 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

Vellies wrote:Thanks Dhula. I am NOR (Joondalup). Yeah I am pulling my hair out. Saw a DRZ400E for a bargain this weekend but the government is NOT HAPPY about the thought of a 3rd bike. Started thinking about selling the Wee and getting the DRZ, but I have a LOT of money in the Wee, and is a really nice bike. Now I am looking at a second set of rims for the Wee and thinking of TKC80 tyres for instance, so can swap them and the PR3s as and when required quickly. At least if I have proper off road tyres I recon I am less likely to wipe out. I am also put crash bars on recently. This is driving me insane. I also have to ask myself where will I find time to ride all these things. I do commute every day (just clocked 18,000km on the Wee in 15 months). Anyway, just rambling, the biking addiction is driving me insane, perhaps I should take up smoking instead again Mad Mad Very Happy

Think carefully about TKC80s I had them on my F800GS and hated them. They were squirrely on the blacktop and unpredictable on dirt pig

I ran them for about 6000kms and did a fair bit of trail work with them before swapping them for Heidenau K60s. bike felt like crap with them on. The K60s are a much better tyre IMO and I found them superior on the dirt and brilliant on the pavement. TKCs would beat them in mud due to the more open block pattern, but I doubt thats what you're after. For dirt, trail work and sand, Ive found the K60s have been excellent. Ive clocked up around 60,000 kms on the GS and the last bit since being shod with the K60s has been the best. Long wearing and great wet grip.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

reddog wrote:More info on this cheap DRZ??? My mate was looking at possibly buying one Smile

Just chucked a dirt bike tyre on the DRZ. Will go for a run this weekend and see if the front end sticks better than it used to.

Back on topic, that west coast safari mob now has there own park. You could give them a call and see if they would be willing to do show you the ropes so to speak.

Have a look at bikesales. Motomax has a 2010 drz400e with just over a thousand kilometers for $5,190 (not ride away). Looks like a good price to me. They also have an older one for a thousand less.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:14 pm

Cheers Vellies will pass it on
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:08 pm

NTBill wrote:Think carefully about TKC80s I had them on my F800GS and hated them. They were squirrely on the blacktop and unpredictable on dirt pig

I ran them for about 6000kms and did a fair bit of trail work with them before swapping them for Heidenau K60s. bike felt like crap with them on. The K60s are a much better tyre IMO and I found them superior on the dirt and brilliant on the pavement. TKCs would beat them in mud due to the more open block pattern, but I doubt thats what you're after. For dirt, trail work and sand, Ive found the K60s have been excellent. Ive clocked up around 60,000 kms on the GS and the last bit since being shod with the K60s has been the best. Long wearing and great wet grip.

Thanks Bill, appreciate the advice. I started looking into the Heidenau K60's and they sure do get good reviews, will see what dealers fit them, also found an on-line mob who sell them. Thanks again for the good advice.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:07 pm

Well, made up my mind in the end, sold the VStrom and bought a DRZ. What a great bike for the type of riding I intend to do!! I am so happy I never tried to do it with the VStrom, only realized while out riding the DRZ in some thick sand yesterday what a disaster it would have been on the Strom.

Now, about that sand. Man did I go down hard. Only a scratched rear panel, nothing broken. The solid dirt roads and tracks are fine, but then I found myself is a single track with deep sand, went down real quick and real hard, have a sore shoulder today. Well, will need to keep trying that and work out how you keep the bike going where you want to in that stuff. All part of the fun....

Oh, and a few weeks ago I went to West Moto Park. Had an absolute blast, great place for a first timer to try it out on a rental. Really nice guy who runs the place too.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down