Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate screws.

+11
BanditDave
NZspokes
grahame
NTBill
dhula
rolls
2wheelsagain
Kaupy1962
mtbeerwah
madmax
Ross.
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I hate screws. - Page 2 Empty I hate screws.

Post  Ross. Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fucking screw. I hope the bike shop tomorrow does not say they can't plug it.

I hate screws. - Page 2 1024xscrewed_2012_05_07_002

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I hate screws. - Page 2 Empty Re: I hate screws.

Post  Kaupy1962 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 10:08 am

My next investment is one of these

http://www.pashnit.com/pics/products/stopngo/PocketTirePlugger_Standard_2.jpg
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 30 Jun 2012, 10:20 am

Kaupy1962 wrote:My next investment is one of these

is this the correct address? it just comes up as error!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 30 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
Kaupy1962 wrote:My next investment is one of these

is this the correct address? it just comes up as error!

I think this may be the same thing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130549625764

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sat 30 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

madmax wrote:
NTBill wrote:Both tyres I've repaired we're totally flat, the other bike was a BMW R1150 and the tyre was worn to the hilt so really flexible where the hole was which makes it difficult, cos as you say the tyre tends to push in to the rim when reaming the hole and pushing the string through. It is do-able tho with a little persistence. 3 nail holes in close proximity would be a PITA tho. I haven't used the mushroom plug type yet but I believe they are much easier as you basically shove em in and twist em off.

No so easy on the side of the road. The mushroom plug has to be inserted from the inside. It also needs to be glued on the underside of the mushroom. once in place the stem is trimmed flush with the tread. So for all this you need to take the wheel off, then the tyre. I'd be sticking to the liquorice type for roadside repairs.

I did ask at the tyre shop if a liquorice plug could be replaced with a mushroom and he said it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I must be thinking of something different then. I'm sure the ones I had seen were for plugging from the outside. Probably same as the string tho - not a full repair, just a stop gap. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 30 Jun 2012, 6:33 pm

NTBill wrote:
madmax wrote:
NTBill wrote:Both tyres I've repaired we're totally flat, the other bike was a BMW R1150 and the tyre was worn to the hilt so really flexible where the hole was which makes it difficult, cos as you say the tyre tends to push in to the rim when reaming the hole and pushing the string through. It is do-able tho with a little persistence. 3 nail holes in close proximity would be a PITA tho. I haven't used the mushroom plug type yet but I believe they are much easier as you basically shove em in and twist em off.

No so easy on the side of the road. The mushroom plug has to be inserted from the inside. It also needs to be glued on the underside of the mushroom. once in place the stem is trimmed flush with the tread. So for all this you need to take the wheel off, then the tyre. I'd be sticking to the liquorice type for roadside repairs.

I did ask at the tyre shop if a liquorice plug could be replaced with a mushroom and he said it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I must be thinking of something different then. I'm sure the ones I had seen were for plugging from the outside. Probably same as the string tho - not a full repair, just a stop gap. Smile

These are meant to be a permanent repair but must be installed with the tyre off
I hate screws. - Page 2 74086d1281427430-riding-plugged-scorpion-trail-tire-mushroom-plug-patch

However since this topic started I have notice there is another type of mushroom plug that can be installed with the tyre on.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130549625764
However I don't know if these are a stop gap or can be permanent

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:58 am

Why don't you just buy a repair kit and fix them yourself? There's nothing wrong with plugs, provided they aren't used on a worn tyre. I've been using them for 20 years and have never had one fail. Think of it this way. In order to put in the plug, you have to apply about 40-50 kg of force on the handle. That 40-50 kg force is applied over a surface area of a few square millimetres. That is an enormous pressure that will never be exceeded by the internal air pressure of the tyre even when subjected to a large spike force such as hitting a pothole.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  joanne2167 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Hubby has a Bimota that runs unobtainable 16" low profile tyres. When he bought it he found the rear tyre had been plugged with a licorice repair. He rode the bike for 6 years with that tyre as there were no alternatives.
He recently paid mega dollars for a pair of NOS 16" tyres only to find out a couple of months later that a new manufacturer is now producing the 16" tyres he needs. Sad
joanne2167
joanne2167

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm

joanne2167 wrote:
He recently paid mega dollars for a pair of NOS 16" tyres only to find out a couple of months later that a new manufacturer is now producing the 16" tyres he needs. Sad

Murphys law Rolling Eyes

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

I hate screws. - Page 2 Empty RE: Getting screwed

Post  SuzySuzuki Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

I too had a screw in a brand new tire, the same week I bought the Honda. A teck screw at that, and after walking it a block to a tyre repairer (the only one in swan hill who can do bikes) I was told it would have been fine to leave it to wear down eventually. $35 for it to be plugged internally.
After reading everyone's woes, I am asking what brand air compressor is recommended? I dont look forward to getting a flat tire on the bandit, its hard enough pushing the bugger out of the garage, let alone pushing along a road Shocked

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[I hate screws. - Page 2 Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:28 am

dhula wrote:
Kaupy1962 wrote:
rolls wrote:I couldn't live with a repair to the front. Heard of too many coming to grief from a repair that didn't last.

A PR3 front is $185 delivered from Jake Wilson. Maybe even better price in the next week or two with the resurgent strength of the Aus$.

The local bike shops here won'y fit tyres from Jake Wilson. When I asked why, they said they can only fit Australian Standard tyres. Anything from overseas will be rejected. When I took my Pr2 in to get fitted the guy went right over the tyre to make sure it was genuine.

Did they explain what the difference was between US tires and AUS tyres?
Next they will be telling us we can't use japanise parts in our suzuki's.

US tyres don't have Australian approval rating, so there's no third party insurance if you come off because of the tyre. It's like riding your bike around with one leg in plaster (yep I did for a couple of months). No-one says you can't do it, but you're not covered by third party insurance if you fall off.

Last edited by Kaupy1962 on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding)
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2