Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate screws.

+11
BanditDave
NZspokes
grahame
NTBill
dhula
rolls
2wheelsagain
Kaupy1962
mtbeerwah
madmax
Ross.
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I hate screws. Empty I hate screws.

Post  Ross. Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

Fucking screw. I hope the bike shop tomorrow does not say they can't plug it.

I hate screws. 1024xscrewed_2012_05_07_002

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I hate screws. Empty Re: I hate screws.

Post  madmax Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

If they say they can't fix that go somewhere else!

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

madmax wrote:If they say they can't fix that go somewhere else!

Will be a train trip with wheel down to Chivos at Granville. He has plugged my tyres before.

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

a few years ago i had 300kms on a tyre and got a flat(not happy) took it to my local,they took the tyre off,they themselves couldn`t fix it,but i had to take the tyre to bobjane,(any would do i`m sure) where i had marked the spot, and they plugged it no probs,and got full life form that tyre.
but ask first to see if they will do it
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:08 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:a few years ago i had 300kms on a tyre and got a flat(not happy) took it to my local,they took the tyre off,they themselves couldn`t fix it,but i had to take the tyre to bobjane,(any would do i`m sure) where i had marked the spot, and they plugged it no probs,and got full life form that tyre.

Thats a real good idea mate. We have a few car tyre places around here.

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

Mv
Ross. wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:a few years ago i had 300kms on a tyre and got a flat(not happy) took it to my local,they took the tyre off,they themselves couldn`t fix it,but i had to take the tyre to bobjane,(any would do i`m sure) where i had marked the spot, and they plugged it no probs,and got full life form that tyre.

Well it is the same repair, just a matter of getting the Tyre off. Pity most car Tyre places can't/wont do motorcycle rims

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

I hate screws. Empty RE: I hate screws.

Post  Kaupy1962 Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:15 pm

Ross. wrote:

I hope you're not putting the moz on me Ross. I just fitted a new rear tyre and the last time I had one fitted, I scored a screw that looks just like yours. In the same place too! Mine was patched by Beaurepairs because none of the bike shops would touch it.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:30 am

Thats plugable.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:59 am

No air has escaped yet from the tyre. So might leave it in. affraid That way at night going round corners I will have sparks flying from front wheel. lol!

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Fri 29 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

I couldn't live with a repair to the front. Heard of too many coming to grief from a repair that didn't last.

A PR3 front is $185 delivered from Jake Wilson. Maybe even better price in the next week or two with the resurgent strength of the Aus$.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:38 am

rolls wrote:I couldn't live with a repair to the front. Heard of too many coming to grief from a repair that didn't last.

A PR3 front is $185 delivered from Jake Wilson. Maybe even better price in the next week or two with the resurgent strength of the Aus$.

The local bike shops here won'y fit tyres from Jake Wilson. When I asked why, they said they can only fit Australian Standard tyres. Anything from overseas will be rejected. When I took my Pr2 in to get fitted the guy went right over the tyre to make sure it was genuine.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:17 am

Kaupy1962 wrote:
rolls wrote:I couldn't live with a repair to the front. Heard of too many coming to grief from a repair that didn't last.

The local bike shops here won'y fit tyres from Jake Wilson. When I asked why, they said they can only fit Australian Standard tyres. Anything from overseas will be rejected. When I took my Pr2 in to get fitted the guy went right over the tyre to make sure it was genuine.

Wow. It cost me $20 to get mine fitted locally. Only comment I got was an apology for taking so long to do it. Tell them to pull thier head out of thier arse and do what the customer wants. OR buy the necessary gear from JW to change your own along with a set of tyres. You'd still be in front after local prices.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Fri 29 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

Fixed with a plug.

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

Kaupy1962 wrote:

Did they explain what the difference was between US tires and AUS tyres?
Next they will be telling us we can't use japanise parts in our suzuki's.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:13 pm

Ross. wrote:Fixed with a plug.

good to hear, i had done 250km/h runs with mine,and concidering a bike tyre lasts 1/2 a second compared to a car tyre that gets shit loads K`s, i`d do it again without thinking twice
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

Was it a mushroom plug type repair?
I hate screws. 74086d1281427430-riding-plugged-scorpion-trail-tire-mushroom-plug-patch
The tyre place that fixed a car tyre for me a couple of months back reckon they are stronger than the original tyre material and if done right they are a permanent fix.
Liquorice plugs however they say are temporary and the tyre should be replaced ASAP

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

^^ +1
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

The licorice type repair is fine as a get you home repair but the tyre should be patched from the inside ASAP. I thought same applied to the mushroom plugs also. I always carry a tubeless repair kit, and so far I've used it twice, but on other peoples bikes! Repaired a blokes bandit tyre once with the licorice plug out in the middle of nowhere. I came across him parked up on the side of the road looking pale 200kms from nearest civilisation. Told him to ride slow till he got home. He took off at about 140km/h for the 400km run back to Darwin. I guess that was his idea of slow. A $40 kit can save a lot of messing around. As a matter of interest, the bandit rear tyre took 5 co2 cylinders to inflate to a reasonable pressure after the repair. I'm thinking a small 12 volt pump might be a good addition on the longer trips up here.

Back to top Go down

Post  grahame Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

The difference might be you didnt buy it off them Very Happy
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

Kaupy1962 wrote:

Tell them you got it of them a year back when they were on sale.....
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:14 pm

NTBill wrote:The licorice type repair is fine as a get you home repair but the tyre should be patched from the inside ASAP. I thought same applied to the mushroom plugs also. I always carry a tubeless repair kit, and so far I've used it twice, but on other peoples bikes! Repaired a blokes bandit tyre once with the licorice plug out in the middle of nowhere. I came across him parked up on the side of the road looking pale 200kms from nearest civilisation. Told him to ride slow till he got home. He took off at about 140km/h for the 400km run back to Darwin. I guess that was his idea of slow. A $40 kit can save a lot of messing around. As a matter of interest, the bandit rear tyre took 5 co2 cylinders to inflate to a reasonable pressure after the repair. I'm thinking a small 12 volt pump might be a good addition on the longer trips up here.

Just get a bicycle pump, will do the job. I use one for checking tyre pressure. Sure it takes a while to do but beats pushing 240kg motorcycle.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:55 pm

Yes, the licorice type plugs were what I'd heard about.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sat 30 Jun 2012, 8:04 am

NTBill wrote:The licorice type repair is fine as a get you home repair but the tyre should be patched from the inside ASAP. I thought same applied to the mushroom plugs also. I always carry a tubeless repair kit, and so far I've used it twice, but on other peoples bikes! Repaired a blokes bandit tyre once with the licorice plug out in the middle of nowhere. I came across him parked up on the side of the road looking pale 200kms from nearest civilisation. Told him to ride slow till he got home. He took off at about 140km/h for the 400km run back to Darwin. I guess that was his idea of slow. A $40 kit can save a lot of messing around. As a matter of interest, the bandit rear tyre took 5 co2 cylinders to inflate to a reasonable pressure after the repair. I'm thinking a small 12 volt pump might be a good addition on the longer trips up here.

My personal experience with tubeless repair kits was at Cobar around 2 years ago.

I ran over a rusty object which appeared to be three nails, probably from a nail gun which put three holes in my rear tyre.

Another rider who had some previous experience with repairs used my repair kit to fix the tyre.

We removed the three nails and a small amount of air started to escape however, when reaming the holes the tyre went pretty much flat.

Using the CO2 cylinders was not really an option so we used a 12v compressor one of the cruiser riders had with him.

We pretty much kept the compressor running the whole time of the repair job as there was a lot of air escaping and without the tyre being fairly well inflated it was not possible to push the repair plugs into the tyre.

I still have not used the 8 CO2 cylinders I purchased with the kit but consider the type of puncture I had would only be fixable using a compressor.

The compressor I believe suitable for the task is probably not much larger than 8 CO2 cylinders so would use the same storage space.

I have promised myself I would buy a compressor to carry on the bike but have not yet done so (it's only been 2 years!)

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sat 30 Jun 2012, 8:45 am

Both tyres I've repaired we're totally flat, the other bike was a BMW R1150 and the tyre was worn to the hilt so really flexible where the hole was which makes it difficult, cos as you say the tyre tends to push in to the rim when reaming the hole and pushing the string through. It is do-able tho with a little persistence. 3 nail holes in close proximity would be a PITA tho. I haven't used the mushroom plug type yet but I believe they are much easier as you basically shove em in and twist em off.

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 30 Jun 2012, 9:52 am

NTBill wrote:Both tyres I've repaired we're totally flat, the other bike was a BMW R1150 and the tyre was worn to the hilt so really flexible where the hole was which makes it difficult, cos as you say the tyre tends to push in to the rim when reaming the hole and pushing the string through. It is do-able tho with a little persistence. 3 nail holes in close proximity would be a PITA tho. I haven't used the mushroom plug type yet but I believe they are much easier as you basically shove em in and twist em off.

No so easy on the side of the road. The mushroom plug has to be inserted from the inside. It also needs to be glued on the underside of the mushroom. once in place the stem is trimmed flush with the tread. So for all this you need to take the wheel off, then the tyre. I'd be sticking to the liquorice type for roadside repairs.

I did ask at the tyre shop if a liquorice plug could be replaced with a mushroom and he said it wouldn't be worth the effort.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next