Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power commander needed or not???

+11
Chrisss
ohmyfj55
geekay007
dhula
Reardo
reddog
Ewok1958
2wheelsagain
mtbeerwah
gus
Sunshine Coast Mikey
15 posters

Go down

Power commander needed or not??? Empty Power commander needed or not???

Post  Sunshine Coast Mikey Thu 07 Jun 2012, 14:37

ok, here's where i'm at.... Have been quoted $629 for the 'Yoshi' R77 (stl/less with carbon tip) as-well as $79 for a 'K&N' air-filter, All from the dealer where bike was purchased. My next question is will I need to look into a 'power commander' to avoid any potential damage to engine if i decide to do a 2000+ k trip?? Or does the k&n filter do away with any possible problems??
p.s The opposition to my dealer has beaten their quote by $30 on pipe and will match or better price on filter just to give em the shits!! But they've always been good to me and i am a loyal customer...
Sunshine Coast Mikey
Sunshine Coast Mikey

Back to top Go down

Power commander needed or not??? Empty Re: Power commander needed or not???

Post  gus Thu 07 Jun 2012, 16:41

I'll get out voted( Very Happy ) but i'll still say dont fit a K@n or a power commander unless you have money to burn .

Last edited by gus on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 17:45; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 07 Jun 2012, 16:59

nothing wrong with a reusable filter,save $ in the long run...whats a paper filter worth with every time you have to change it?
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 07 Jun 2012, 17:06

gus wrote:I'll get out voted( Very Happy ) but i'll still say dont fit a K@n or a power commander unless you money to burn .
A muffler at that price he has money to burn Laughing

There are so many ways to improve the bandit (and rider) without increasing power.
Your bike. Your choice.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 18:35

That's less than I paid for my R77 Carbon can Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . I didn't change the inlet side as I was after a better look and a louder noise, not performance enhancements - comes down to what your 'business' need is.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 07 Jun 2012, 18:36

Just do it already Smile

I have a PC 3 on my bike and once it's tuned it's worth it. All up with a tune you will shell out about 6 - 700 bills so be prepared.

I'd honestly toss the secondaries, make sure the throttle bodies are sync'd and the Throttle Position Sensor is spot on. Don't bother too much with the K&N, I have a BMC but if you over oil them they are messy etc. The paper filter is fine. You can cut a big hole in the top of the airbox though to get the bike to breath a bit better.

Best bang for buck mod... Gus will tell you is the 17 tooth front sprocket and I totally agree $25 and 20 - 30 minutes work to fit.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Thu 07 Jun 2012, 18:50

>>>Click Here to save $<<<

It all depends on the rider, where & how it's used.
My Bandit loved getting unrestricted and just got better and better very time I removed a bit more of the restrictions. But some have reported problems in doing it. The good thing is that they all can be easily reversed. etc, put the standard filter back in.

My Bandit has 130hp and I love it.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sunshine Coast Mikey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 15:53

Have just purchased the Yoshi R77 Titanium with carbon tip from the US for $530 AUD delivered, that's alot cheaper than what i would have paid for stainless with carbon tip here in OZ (sorry Australian economy). Will see how it runs before i fork out for K&N filter. Now the waiting begins............... bounce
Sunshine Coast Mikey
Sunshine Coast Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 11 Jun 2012, 13:14

My opinion is that you don't need a PC.
Muffler, more about looks, weight reduction and noise than power increase IMO but they are usually worth a little hp here and there.
Next step would be a good tune up including good plugs.
Next would be a TRE or if you're feeling a little cheep the ghetto method works to. Only thing is you'll loose the gear indicator if you use the ghetto method and it takes about 10 mins longer to do.
Next would be either getting your own software, making your own yoshie style box (info out in interweb, reportedly costs about $50 in parts plus some time to put it together) or asking the dealer to tweek the fuel using his yoshie box.
Leave the paper air filter where it is but if you wanted to do some airbox mods to let it breather a bit better but remember with greater breathing comes a greater need for fuel in most cases.
You could do the 2nd fly removal or if you are keen learn how to hack the ECU (heaps of info out there) and apply some strategic changes to the 2nd fly maps (and then progress to changes to the fuel and ign maps if you wanted to)

That's what I reckon anyways but as always YMMV

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 09:53

K&N warrant their products well. They claim all K&N filters can replace the original with no mods needed. I am of the opinion that if you increase the airflow into the engine, without balancing it with additonal fuel, you'll risk running too lean. At the very least I'd switch over to a cooler fuel (98 octane) if you do go the K&N route, sans fuel box. I am running a TFi box on mine and it works beautifully. It does not have to be dynoed unlike the Power Commander. If you buy the kit from holeshot.com, the owner will email you the fuel settings for the TFi box. The ones he sent me are great. I was regularly getting 14.5-15 km/L before mods and after I can get 16-17 km/h on the freeway no problems. It does use more fuel in the city, and sometimes with the stop-start my fuel economy is only 13.8 km/L. Removing the secondaries is the best way to get instant throttle response. It is easy to do and makes a huge difference. I wouldn't go with the 17 tooth front sprocket,as you will be putting 18/17 more kilometres on your clock. You speedo (which already over-estimates speeds) will also register 18/17 more speed than reality. If you do this you'd have to put in a speedo healer.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:05

Not to start a new fight, But Twisted Evil Engines are similar, Not the same. So to get the ideal tune (Power or Eco Embarassed ) for TFI or PC. "I" believe you need a personalised (Rolling Road) Tune to get the most out your bike. You can get download map's for the PC's as well from Power Commander Map's or some places that sell PC's. Like the place I got mine. fuelmotousa.com/mapsupport.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Power commander needed or not??? Empty Or.....

Post  ohmyfj55 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 14:21

Or..........you could go out and buy a K5 GSX-R 1000.
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 15:50

ohmyfj55 wrote:Or..........you could go out and buy a K5 GSX-R 1000.

True but they are uncomfortably small and annoying to ride at slow speeds. Bandit has heaps more torque after Stage 2 mods (parts only cost about $400).

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Chrisss Wed 25 Jul 2012, 08:14

On a slight tangent....I've got a delkevic pipe (baffle out) and as far as I'm aware that's the only performance mod. Getting a lot of popping on the over-run, is this normal?

Past bikes would do this if running lean but I've also heard that it's a known issue and little can be done. Was thinking of going down the PC path or similar to pump more fuel in. If the popping characteristic is typical of the 1250 I won't bother.
Would appreciate any thoughts.
Cheers
Chris

Chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Wed 25 Jul 2012, 15:54

Chrisss wrote:On a slight tangent....I've got a delkevic pipe (baffle out) and as far as I'm aware that's the only performance mod. Getting a lot of popping on the over-run, is this normal?

Past bikes would do this if running lean but I've also heard that it's a known issue and little can be done. Was thinking of going down the PC path or similar to pump more fuel in. If the popping characteristic is typical of the 1250 I won't bother.
Would appreciate any thoughts.
Cheers
Chris

Chris, There is plenty of info on this Popping somewhere on the forum. A little bit of searching is all thats needed.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Wed 25 Jul 2012, 18:01

I've got the Beowulf on my FA and it pops happily on the over-run but I quite like it. Thats just me tho. I thought about a PC etc when I first got it (about this time last year - 1st birthday!!), but primarily to sort out the surging which is all ok now anyway. This bike has plenty of go for my riding style and if i was parting with the coin it might be suspension as a first priority....then.... I might want more power...
Uh oh.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 18:13

My little commuter bike (07 1250s) has so far had a micron slip-on (no longer available)K&N filter, intake snorkel removed, secondaries removed,Power Commander V, and Auto-tune. All worthwhile IMHO however the best results are from removing the secondaries, do this first, then see how you feel.

Dink.1170

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 25 Jul 2012, 18:39

NO, you do NOT need a power commander OR a K@N to suit the pipe .Mine runs fine (or better) without either .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 18:49

gus wrote:NO, you do NOT need a power commander OR a K@N to suit the pipe .Mine runs fine (or better) without either .
I agree, do the secondaries first.

Dink.1170

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  jools Thu 26 Jul 2012, 17:58

I found on my GSF650 K7 that it was running very lean low down in the rev range.

but after i fitted the Healtech Electronics F.I. Tuner and GIpro a/TRE this sorted the surging at 3.5-4k rev range.
It also make the bike smoother in the lower Rev range and can hold a higher gear at lower speed and the torque
will just pull from top gear.

jools

jools

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down