Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford Heated Grips

+9
Re-Cycled
straff1250
Ross.
kewwig
gus
masterA
madmax
holdenman
Rustic
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Empty Re: Oxford Heated Grips

Post  Rustic Mon 14 May 2012, 9:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have a brand new pair sitting unopened I had better sort my life out and put them on...

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

Rustic wrote:A big thank you to Mr Kewwig

Last night he took the time out of his evening to help the 'electrically challenged', namely me.

.......(abridged).......I'm a wizz with mechanical and structural engineering but as said am extremely challenged with electrics...

I feel a few beers and wine for the wife (bikers widow) are are in order.

I can't thank him enough

Any time, mate, but if I ever find red cable ties and yellow insulation tape on your bike again.......... Evil or Very Mad

My last Oxfords lasted 2 years in every weather condition and packed it in only when the grips were starting to show wear. For $79 I think they are a great deal, and this will be the 4th set fitted when I get Stan's on and fit his HIDs at the same time. Her Indoors just shakes her head.... Embarassed
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:08 pm

OK Bandit boys. My Bandit needs some hot grips. Ive been looking at 2 models. The classic that heats up to 50 degrees and has 4 settings and the light which heats up to 45 degrees and has 2 settings. I prefer the light one as the switch looks better.

Which one should I go for?

And on my K1 what power sources should I use and should I use a relay?
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

NZspokes wrote:OK Bandit boys. My Bandit needs some hot grips. Ive been looking at 2 models. The classic that heats up to 50 degrees and has 4 settings and the light which heats up to 45 degrees and has 2 settings. I prefer the light one as the switch looks better.

Always use a relay that is triggered off a switched power source like a numberplate light to stop you leaving them on and flattening the battery. What make are the grips?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

In the headlight there is (should be ) a connector that goes to the parking light .Say good-buy to that light (if there is one ) and use that for the grips.
On mine it has 2 wires going to a BROWN connecter . I mean who ever uses the parking light , not me .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:29 pm

kewwig wrote:
NZspokes wrote:OK Bandit boys. My Bandit needs some hot grips. Ive been looking at 2 models. The classic that heats up to 50 degrees and has 4 settings and the light which heats up to 45 degrees and has 2 settings. I prefer the light one as the switch looks better.

Always use a relay that is triggered off a switched power source like a numberplate light to stop you leaving them on and flattening the battery. What make are the grips?

Had a good look about the bike. Going to use a relay and sit in one of the side pods under the seat. Will take the switching feed off the numberplate light. Will be tidy and easy to fit.

Probably going to go with Oxford Light grips. $58 at Cycletreads.

What should I look for in a relay?
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

Always use a relay, that is triggered by a power source that is switched by the key. I used the headlight. This way the grips will turn off when the bike is off. Regardless of what Oxford tell you about auto off when the battery gets low. There are plenty of people out there that will tell you the battery is too far gone to start the bike the next morning.
I went for the headlight because i have nearly left the parklight on by mistake twice.

As for the two different grips I have an older unit that has a variable knob, not 4 fixed settings. You'd be struggling to find one now though as Oxford have discontinued the knob controller. I haven't seen the light one but IMHO I'd rather have 4 settings than just high/low

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

gus wrote:In the headlight there is (should be ) a connector that goes to the parking light .Say good-buy to that light (if there is one ) and use that for the grips.
On mine it has 2 wires going to a BROWN connecter . I mean who ever uses the parking light , not me .

Yeah brown seems to be the main light circuit on my bike.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

This is a link to the light grips, http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/616-heated_grips/4969-oxford_light_hot_grips_for_50_.aspx
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

These relays with the intergrated fuse makes life a lot easier as they eliminate a bit of extra wiring and give a handy mount for the fuse:

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Fused-10

Jaycar sell them in 15A (Cat No SY4076 @ $8.95) and 30A (Cat No SY4077 @ $9.95). If you wanted anything lower amperage (eg 5 or 10A) just change the fuse - but don't go higher with the fuse (i.e. a 25A fuse in the 15A relay) as the contacts are not made for this additional current draw.

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:03 pm

barry_mcki wrote:These relays with the intergrated fuse makes life a lot easier as they eliminate a bit of extra wiring and give a handy mount for the fuse:

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Fused-10

Jaycar sell them in 15A (Cat No SY4076 @ $8.95) and 30A (Cat No SY4077 @ $9.95). If you wanted anything lower amperage (eg 5 or 10A) just change the fuse - but don't go higher with the fuse (i.e. a 25A fuse in the 15A relay) as the contacts are not made for this additional current draw.

Sweet, cheers.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

Got the grips today. Standard oxfords. Harder to wire than I thought just due to the excess cabling they have. But they seem to work well.

Used the exact relay from Jaycar, all easy.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sun 17 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

Rode for 4 hours today in the cold, never got above 8 degrees. Grips are great. Love em.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 31 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Narcolepsy wrote:The pictures pretty much say it all. All three heat settings work as intended as far as I can tell (tested with both a multimeter and my frigid hands).

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 2012-016

Now that Spring is here (well tomorrow at least), how did the electro/mechanical PWM work out ?

Shocked Warning - next section contains techy bits, please disregard if not that way inclined Shocked

I also did a search on PWM units and have picked up this 120w 10/30vdc variable unit for $15. Will need to be placed in a waterproof case but the price seemed ok even if it does fluff out. Tested it overnight with a set of the cheap grips (these only draw 1 amp not sure on others but that is only 13 odd watts). It has short and over load protection, fused, couple of good size heatsinks (assume to bring the voltage down to 5v for the control chip). The pot has about 270 degree rotation but from 0 to 45 there is no output, then pretty linear for the next 180 degrees, seems to max out about 45 degree before full rotation, that should equate to a range (assuming the resistance of the grips is 13 ohms), from a start of 1.2w, midscale of 7.7w and full throttle of 13w. The LED near the Z sticker seems to indicate power on, the other LED to the right of the lower heatsink changes intensity with the rotation of the pot - although there is not too much variation. Anyway, no problems encountered (on the bench) so far, not sure how long it will take to migrate from the bench to the bike.

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Pwm_mo10

Picked it up from here

Shocked Normal forum postings can now resume Shocked

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sat 01 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

So now my grips change heat settings by themself. Stink.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  amcmo Thu 27 Sep 2012, 1:40 pm

We do R&G heated controllers. No issues reported to date. RRP $81.00 Club price $70.00

We are out of stock, coming into the summer season, so delivery is 10-15 days.

amcmo

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 27 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

amcmo wrote:We do R&G heated controllers. No issues reported to date. RRP $81.00 Club price $70.00

We are out of stock, coming into the summer season, so delivery is 10-15 days.

Got a pic?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  amcmo Thu 27 Sep 2012, 3:28 pm

heated hand - Oxford Heated Grips - Page 2 Img324

amcmo

Back to top Go down

Post  Frazzled Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

Found a way to make the Oxford grips last forever..

Step 1. Buy Oxford grips

Step 2. Get them home and work out that installation is beyond my technical ability

Step 3. Replace back in box until I can get bike to someone who can work it out

Step 4. Procrastinate until summer

Presto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2