Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Oxford Grips (Touring)

5 posters

Go down

New Oxford Grips (Touring) Empty New Oxford Grips (Touring)

Post  Cal Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:29 pm

Just ordered a set of the new Oxford Grips, should arrive before the end of the week. Will see how they go.

I had a set on my RF900 and the controller was a pain in the butt to set the temp due to the flush mounted buttons. They lasted OK, 6 years and the only thing that happened was a broken wire due to me routing them wrong on the bike.

Oxford claim that they have fixed the need for running them through a relay (new battery save something or rather) but what are your thoughts?

If you have them, where have you mounted the controller and how? Cheers Cal
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

New Oxford Grips (Touring) Empty Re: New Oxford Grips (Touring)

Post  rosstrom Mon 01 Jul 2013, 3:08 am

fitted these a few months ago - no need for relay as they automatically turn themselves off when engine stopped - it works

comes with a fitment using the 2 bolts that fix the clutch lever to the handlebars - again, this works well

rosstrom

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:49 am

Sorta worked for me.  It did shut down b4 the battery was flat but there wasn't enough to turn the engine over; was enough for a push start though...fortunately the B1250 was easy.  Have now got mine through a relay with a switched source (brake light switch).
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:06 am

I've run mine through a relay (trigger wire is also rear brake light), and also replaced the controller with a different one

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Now, I assume 30A either fused or un-fused would be OK? I know the harness for the grips comes with an inline fuse, so it would not really matter. Is this correct?

Do any of you use a fuse bus on your bikes? If so which one? I have seen a couple on the net

This one: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html#pc8only

and this one: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=10 I like the idea of the fuzeblock because it has a relay built in and keeps it all nice and neat. The next part is where to put it, power commander takes up most of the spare space under the seat. Within the front fairing somewhere?
Cal
Cal

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:28 pm

I haven't seen the Fuzeblock before, looks very professional and neat. 

I've got the PC-8 Eastern Beaver, and yes it does take a bit more room than the FZ-1 especially when you need to mount an external relay for the accessory circuits.  However I think the PC-8 has a couple of advantages over the FZ-1, for one it has a couple of permanent on circuits, you can get the optional extra Suzuki wiring kit that includes the male/female connectors to go in the tail light circuit,  the accessory relay and battery wiring, and I like the slightly larger spacing between wire terminals (I use crimp pin connectors instead of just stripping the wire and screwing it down).

New Oxford Grips (Touring) Img_1310

With the PC-V and Autotune box, the SpeedHealer, the Screaming Banshee horn circuit, the wiring harness for the Zumo, Admore wiring for panniers and topbox, two aux Powlet outlets and a ton of circuits that go to the sidecar for stereo, two phones, CB, and twin headsets, Hella twin horns, there is little room for anything else.  Luckily I don't need to worry about underseat storage for tools etc, however I have managed to fill it so much I have no where to mount the auxilliary tube for my Scott Oiler.

New Oxford Grips (Touring) Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:12 am

How elaborate you get is up to you... be guided by how complex an accessory loom you intend to end up with.

As a rule of thumb use the minimum fuse size required to support the load, my guess would be not more than 10A.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Tue 02 Jul 2013, 5:54 pm

barry_mcki wrote:I haven't seen the Fuzeblock before, looks very professional and neat. 

I've got the PC-8 Eastern Beaver, and yes it does take a bit more room than the FZ-1 especially when you need to mount an external relay for the accessory circuits.  However I think the PC-8 has a couple of advantages over the FZ-1, for one it has a couple of permanent on circuits, you can get the optional extra Suzuki wiring kit that includes the male/female connectors to go in the tail light circuit,  the accessory relay and battery wiring, and I like the slightly larger spacing between wire terminals (I use crimp pin connectors instead of just stripping the wire and screwing it down).

New Oxford Grips (Touring) Img_1310

With the PC-V and Autotune box, the SpeedHealer, the Screaming Banshee horn circuit, the wiring harness for the Zumo, Admore wiring for panniers and topbox, two aux Powlet outlets and a ton of circuits that go to the sidecar for stereo, two phones, CB, and twin headsets, Hella twin horns, there is little room for anything else.  Luckily I don't need to worry about underseat storage for tools etc, however I have managed to fill it so much I have no where to mount the auxilliary tube for my Scott Oiler.
WOW :affraid:Throw in some tomato sauce and meatballs and dinner is done! What a spaghetti! I don't think I will be adding that much to the bike, but good to see it all fits. Thanks for sharing. I will most likely be putting extra spotties and the grips and lighting in the top box/panniers that's about it. The bike has a cigarette lighter socket already which may stay or go, not sure?

Will look into it a bit more, thanks heaps for the help!
Cal
Cal

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:13 pm

Well the grips arrived on Wednesday and I finally got them fitted this arvo/tonight. All went OK, I had forgotten what a slow tedious process it is to get them fitted. Got the Dremmel out and got all the profiles removed from the throttle tube, grip went on well after a bit of time with the Dremmel/file/sand paper.

The left grip bothers me a bit. I cleaned off all the glue from the original grip, went to slide on the Oxford grip after checking the inside was free of excess moldings and smooth. The bloody thing went crack! The inner plastic cracked as I nudged it on to the handlebar about 10mm. I pulled it back off and had another look at the inside of the grip, no burs or anything in the way. Got the file out and gave it a run over and it went on, all be it a little stiffer than I would have liked. Test fitted both grips, hooked up the power etc. and turned them on just to be sure I didn't break the element in the left grip. All was good!

Ran the wires and did the final fitting with glue on the grips (No turning back now!) Put the tank back on the bike and started the bike up, no power to the grips Question Checked the fuse, blown! Replace the fuse and all working again, PHEW! Not sure what blew the fuse, I did pull the connections apart and back together again with the terminals connected to the battery. Maybe that did it? Should have remembered to pull the fuse! I have not hooked them up to a relay yet, will do that during the week.

I am glad they are fitted now, 6am - 5 days a week on the bike at anywhere between 5c and 0c ambient minus the chill factor at 100kmh without the grips was getting a bit too cold!
Cal
Cal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum