Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scala Rider G4

+6
keenaviator
Re-Cycled
gus
holdenman
madmax
Jimcoleman
10 posters

Go down

Scala Rider G4  Empty Scala Rider G4

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:02 pm

Now i know that theres been some discussion on head sets some like em some don't. I like the ability to listen to music whilst riding, talk to my wife/daughter, and GPS whilst navigating in the city. but i also like to hear the bike when i want to be a boy racer. so i bought a BT headset after lots of research thought the Scala to much money for what i need. really liked the sena 10, once i had the cash what did i do i bought some cheap shit from the Net the Motorrader something some thing $279.00, it arrived one power supply doa its ok only need one, the excitement of getting what i wanted was overriding the signs that it was a shit box in the making.

5 months later yup its a piece of crap, i ring the retailer and send it back. to there credit they give me a credit. in the mean time i see a scala rider Q2 for sale looking at the pictures it looks like the Q2 pro, the owner says he's only wore twice cause his partner didn't like him whinging cause she was riding to slow, rattle off a email got a vague reply. thought about it yeah its only $200 bucks. Wink

yup i did it again it wasn't what i thought it was, as a professional salesman all my life i ask the right questions all the time, geezus what is with these BT headsets bring me undone all the time.

the big test for the Q2 on the week end trip yeah it works great but the battery goes flat at the 5 hour mark off to the pub for a soda water and a charge up. yeah the Q2 is ok, shits all over the the first crap one. The Q2 uses a MP3 cable to get music if the phone/MP3 player is mounted its a pain as i hate being connected to the bike. the Q2 pro has A2DP capabilities by the way which is what i wanted

so i use my credit at the bike shop and buy what i should have bought in the first place the SCALA RIDER G4, i have had it
2 days now and have found it every thing i have wanted it to be, it intercoms to the Q2's no problem, it plays music damn loud i can skip or replay play and pause plus mute songs on my iPhone, its FM radio is no better and i haven't charged it since i first got it, i can set it up by plugging it into my wifes mr Softie laptop and if i have somes mates who have the G4 i can conference with them up to 1.6 ks aways like thats gonna happen, over all i am very happy with the G4 its what i should have bought to start with.

If BT head set are your go then i reckon the G4 is the way to go followed equally by the sena 10 and the scala Q2 pro. its a product that cops a bit of beating and the cheaper one are truly shit so take my advice and spend the extra.

News flash scala releases the G9, GEEZUS CHRISTO here we go again
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Scala Rider G4  Empty Re: Scala Rider G4

Post  madmax Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:02 pm

I bought a set of G4s before I went to tassie with two mates. This giving me 2 Q2s and 2 G4s ( i've since sold the Q2s)

We took 2 G4s and 1 Q2 with us. One mate had a G4 paired to the Q2 on channel B. The G4 of course were paired on channel A. My G4 was also paired to my Tom Tom
My 2 mates had no trouble communicating with each other. Where I had no end of trouble. The only solution was to turn bluetooth off on the Tom Tom. Mad
Whenever the GPS piped up to give me instructions, the connection to the other riders dropped out and did not return afterwards. Most of the time it was difficult to get it to reconnect.
We ended up not using the GPS with bluetooth, and staying permanently connected rather than voice activated.
The guy using the Q2 left the charger in my garage. Rolling Eyes Even with no way of charging the Q2 it still lasted 3 days with a mostly permanent connection.

Overall I'm not really impressed with the G4s, according to Scala they should have worked as we had intended them too. It just wouldn't work properly.
I would have kept the Q2s but you need G4s if you want more than 2 riders talking in a conference type connection.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

I have had the Q2's and they were good when brand new i could get a full days ride in without going flat. after about2 years the batterys started to die and could only get a couple of hours at the most out of it, so thats when i replaced it with the sena.

Q2 was good but the sound is no were near the quality that the sena and i geuss the G4 is

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

I use a paper map .It cost $2.00 doesnt go wrong ,doesn't confuse me ,doesn't need to be mounted ,fits in my pocket and works everywhere i go on all vehicles, if stolen i dont care ,a novice can use it , i can draw and wright on it , it doent keep others waiting while i play with buttons , and best of all , it doesn't tell me where to go . Mad Wink Very Happy What on earth do you talk about over a beer after the ride , i mean you have already been chatting . Very Happy

Madmax ,Carol thinks you made all that up . Razz Very Happy My head is spinning after reading it once . Wink Wink Very Happy

Ignore me i'm oldschool .(thankfully) Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 31 Mar 2012, 12:17 pm

gus wrote: I use a paper map .It cost $2.00 doesnt go wrong ,doesn't confuse me ,doesn't need to be mounted ,fits in my pocket and works everywhere i go on all vehicles, if stolen i dont care ,a novice can use it , i can draw and wright on it , it doent keep others waiting while i play with buttons , and best of all , it doesn't tell me where to go . Mad Wink Very Happy What on earth do you talk about over a beer after the ride , i mean you have already been chatting . Very Happy

Madmax ,Carol thinks you made all that up . Razz Very Happy My head is spinning after reading it once . Wink Wink Very Happy

But a map doesn't make you laugh, like when Homer pipes up to tell me where to go. Laughing
We didn't really chat over the headsets, more about giving directions and relaying problems. Like when one of the guys had a fall and I was way out in front.
And its all true but written after a few drinks so maybe it doesn't make much sense. Laughing

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 31 Mar 2012, 4:43 pm

gus wrote: I use a paper map .It cost $2.00 doesnt go wrong ,doesn't confuse me ,doesn't need to be mounted ,fits in my pocket and works everywhere i go on all vehicles, if stolen i dont care ,a novice can use it , i can draw and wright on it , it doent keep others waiting while i play with buttons , and best of all , it doesn't tell me where to go . Mad Wink Very Happy What on earth do you talk about over a beer after the ride , i mean you have already been chatting . Very Happy

oooh paper how environmentally unfriendly Wink
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:19 pm

RE-cycled i'm sure . Razz
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sat 31 Mar 2012, 7:45 pm

And yet you think our rocket science is too simple? scratch

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  keenaviator Mon 10 Dec 2012, 6:22 am

I went shopping at AMX Lynbrook and came away with a Shoei TZX helmet and Scala Solo BT headset. I dont think the TZX is as quiet as my old BMW helmet but there is less drag especially when doing head checks at speed and it will be very comfortable. The Scala works well. I was able to answer a call by voice and could easily converse at up to 110 kmh without ear plugs. The auto volume works well and there seems to be enough to work with ear plugs.
keenaviator
keenaviator

Back to top Go down

Post  isj001 Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:47 pm

Supporter of G4 Scala here.

It's made well enough that it wouldnt be out of place in the military, battery lasts for decades, works seemlessly with music through phone, phone calls, fm radio, intercom, voice dialling and gps all at once. I've got a TZ-X, so the auto volume adjust is a must have and the G4 kills it.

I dont care what the G9 can do, the G4 does it all for me.

Best piece of kit I have bought for riding.

PS I dont work for scala.

(. Y .)

Suzuki Bandit 2009 GSF1250SA
isj001
isj001

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm

I tried a G4 and had real issues with the unit dropping connections and failing to reconnect.

I originally ended up getting a stardom wired system which i have to say is fantastic but a little problematic with cables. With the misses riding more but not wanting to spend so much on a wired system we converted to the Sena 10 BT system. this is a great unit especially for around town. I have no problems with GPS, music, phone and rider to rider. The range is a little limited only 900m clear line of sight. The unit seems to last forever unless you are on a long day ride listening to music and having the misses talking to you constantly then 2 days max Smile

Sena however have just release a new Bluetooth headset which i have to say looks very nice and tempting for an upgrade.

Sena SMH10R

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm

I bought a new Q2 before I road to QLD 2 up with my daughter in April, I would have loved a later model but couldn't afford it after buying a new bike and kitting my daughter out in new Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Kevlars and Boots.
I found the matched pair of Q2's on fleaBay new for $185 inc delivery I've been very happy with them, and as far as battery life goes, only once they didn't last the day out and that was 10 hours into a 10 1/2 hour day
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sun 28 Jul 2013, 5:58 pm

Did the scala g4 fit the Shoei TZX with the 'clamp-on' fitting,  or did you have to use the stick on, thanks ??

Cheers, GG

Back to top Go down

Post  keenaviator Sun 28 Jul 2013, 6:08 pm

It was a bit fiddly but I used the clamp. Still working well.

Laurie
keenaviator
keenaviator

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:00 pm

GGiant wrote:Did the scala g4 fit the Shoei TZX with the 'clamp-on' fitting,  or did you have to use the stick on, thanks ??

Cheers, GG

it was a bit fiddly getting the G2 on the TZX but once there it is like it is meant to be there
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Mon 29 Jul 2013, 9:40 am

I'll try the clamp-on then. Thanks for help Laurie and Chook.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 29 Jul 2013, 10:00 pm

when my Q2 was new I was getting 8 - 9 hours before they would go flat, mine is now about 5-6 hours but the other one in my daughters helmet (hasn't been used nearly as much) still lasts 7-8 hours
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down