Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shark Helmets ?

+9
gus
chips
aussie
surfacc
reddog
madmax
jaba01
2wheelsagain
Hammy
13 posters

Go down

Shark Helmets ? Empty Shark Helmets ?

Post  Hammy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:10 am

Am buying my partner a new helmet for Xmas. We went and tried a few a couple of weeks ago and we both agreed that the Shark range seems pretty good. Does anyone here have a Shark, and what do you think of it. I am looking at the Vision-R or S900 models. She likes the intigrated sunsheild.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Shark Helmets ? Empty Re: Shark Helmets ?

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

Fit should be #1
I'm assuming you have agreed it fits her melon perfectly.
I have a mate on a Fireblade who has a Shark. Not sure of the model but he says its as noisy as hell but it fits him. Said the same of a couple of others too.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

Thanks 2WA. Thats the thing about helmets. They might fit nice, which the Sharks did, but you dont know how noisy they are until you ride with it.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

Both my wife & I both run Shark helmets (RSR2 & RSI).

Light & comfortable. Neither of us seem to have a noise issue.

I'd buy another Shark tomorrow, their new range is great value for $.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of your choices.
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

Thanks Jaba01.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

I bought a Vision-R a few weeks ago.
Comfortable, for me anyway.
Larger view port is good but as its also taller it lets more glare in.
Built in tinted visor is a great idea, but not dark enough. I haven't found any different shades available online.
Noisy - yes but not unbearable.
light weight.
I don't like how the visor is attached, feels as though its going to break as you yank it off.

Have a RSR2 as well which I think is quieter, but not by much.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

Cheers Max. It's good to hear 1st hand knowledge.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

I have a Shark RSR2 and it is a very good helmet. I do find it noisy, but in another thread I posted a cheap neck sock can help reduce the noise a lot.

Visors are expensive though, and some of the plastic like the rear spoiler has cracked a little. Other than that it's very light and handles speed very well, whereas my old HJC was turbulent over the speed limit and also lifted which felt like it was going to choke you.

www.bikebiz.com.au normally have really good pricing on Shark helmets. Mine arrived in a couple of days from them. Top service!
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

Thanks for that Reddog.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  surfacc Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

I have a Shark RSI which I like but I am trying to reduce the noise. I have put a windjammer on the helmet but it does not seem to do a great deal of good and it gets hotter than standard. The big problem is the jacket / helmet combination and the position I am behind the screen. I find that the noise tends to come from wind blast hitting my shoulders then the bottom of the helmet so I need to adjust position behind screen based on speed. I wear moulded ear plugs when I ride also which help.
When I get a chance I will take a few photos of the windjammer on the helmet.
The helmet is very comfortable and is easy to take to bits for washing. I bought the RSI to replace a 10 year old HJC helmet and the difference was amazing. I bought mine from Sydney City Motorcycles for $250 when they were running out their old stock. I would still like to get a RSR Carbon helmet for the track also.
Cheers
Mark
surfacc
surfacc

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:18 pm

For cleaning I pull out the cheek pads and throw them in the washing machine. I then fill up the laundry trough and throw some laundry detergent in there then place the whole helmet in the water and work the material. Then leave weighted down with something for 20 minutes or so. Come back later to retrieve it and you'll be surprised the amount of bugs etc that's come out of the vents. Place helmet on washing line or where there is a reasonable amount of wind for the next day or so to dry out. Happy days!
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  aussie Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm

I have an RSI and very pleased with the fit, finish, weight, quality and after sales service. I knocked the helmet and broke one of the rear vents. Dealer offered to send it for repairs. I contacted the agent/manufacturer via the e-mail address on the the 5 year warranty card. Explained how it was not a warranty claim and I did not want to be without the helmet. Asked availability and price on a new vent which I would fit myself. Within 5 working days I received both left and right vents free of charge.

aussie

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:12 am

Cheers Guys. Thanks for your thoughts.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sat 19 Nov 2011, 7:56 pm

reddog wrote:For cleaning I pull out the cheek pads and throw them in the washing machine. I then fill up the laundry trough and throw some laundry detergent in there then place the whole helmet in the water and work the material. Then leave weighted down with something for 20 minutes or so. Come back later to retrieve it and you'll be surprised the amount of bugs etc that's come out of the vents. Place helmet on washing line or where there is a reasonable amount of wind for the next day or so to dry out. Happy days!

this is a great idea... do you "oil" up the visor afterwards?
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:20 am

chips wrote:

this is a great idea... do you "oil" up the visor afterwards?

What do you mean Chips ? Never put any OIL near you visors. If you mean the attachment points, just apply a tiny amount of vasoline.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

No oil mate. If you did oil the visor bits it wouldn't stay up
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:11 am

PLace the whole helmet in water ???
I have never heard of this .Doesnt the helmet contain styrofoam as used in epoxy s\boards .That stuff sucks the water in and takes days (or weeks
in a board ) to dry out .It would take a braver person than i to "dunk " my Arai for 20 mins .
I'm not saying your wrong, in fact i hope your right , i'd love to do this but i need more convincing . Very Happy Suspect
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:20 am

I have a Shark S900. It has the internal flip down sunvisor. It's very comfortable and (usually) quiet. I had a HJC before this one and it was noisy and would try lift off my head at moderately fast speeds (140+).

I highly rate the Shark for quality and comfort. The internal visor is great for differing country - sunvisor down for open areas and quickly up when you come into the trees.

I'm have a noise issue at the present because I put on a Zero Gravity double bubble screen. The screen is more comfortable than the standard, but has a stupid lip on the top of it which is only on the mk2 screen, not the mk3. It seems the lip is creating a vortex that is crashing on my collar, and it's fucking deafining. I only ever ride with ear plugs in, but after a trip to Sydney on last Saturday (4hrs return) I woke up on Sunday feeling like I'd been to a rock concert. Duck down and the noise is gone, likewise if I st-r-e-t-ch up. A neck sock would probably help but it's getting too warm for one now.

Mr Screen, please let me introduce Mr Hacksaw........
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

Thanks Rolls. The S900 will probably get the nod.

ps. I also have a DB Zero Gravity with no lip, no issues.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Sun 20 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

I've got the Carbon RSR2 - like it now although it took a little to get used to when I first bought it - a much tighter fit than my previous noggin protector... Would buy another one but will probably always look around to see what else is available and what fits..

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm

gus wrote:PLace the whole helmet in water ???
I have never heard of this .Doesnt the helmet contain styrofoam as used in epoxy s\boards .That stuff sucks the water in and takes days (or weeks
in a board ) to dry out .It would take a braver person than i to "dunk " my Arai for 20 mins .
I'm not saying your wrong, in fact i hope your right , i'd love to do this but i need more convincing . Very Happy Suspect

I thought it was a bit odd, but Rock on ASB said he does it to all his helmets. I've done it to my Shark and it smells and feels like new again. It's due now as it's pretty dirty around the collar of the helmet.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 21 Nov 2011, 12:08 am

reddog wrote:No oil mate. If you did oil the visor bits it wouldn't stay up

its not actual oil, but some kind of lubricant.

I have an Arai Vector Snell and th tinted visor I boght for it came with some lubricant thing that I'm suppose to apply when I switch the visors over....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Shark Helmets ? Empty HJC IS-16

Post  Mitch J Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:21 am

G'day All,

Hope everyone's been havin a win.

Hammy, if you are after internal sun visors, my HJC IS-16 has the same idea. I've had mine for about 12 months now, and it's goin the goods. The thought of having to carry sunglasses of change visors depending on day or night was a far from appealing prospect for me, so I was pretty sold on the internal visor idea. Easy to use, and can't fault the mechanics of the helmet. I do notice a little bit of wind noise. But nothing that worries me at all. Just depends on how well a given breed of helmet fits your melon I'd reckon.

Mitch J
Mitch J
Mitch J

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:58 am

Thanks Mitch. Jan tried on the HJC that you have but she thought it was not as comfortable as the Shark. ( different heads for different helmets )
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

My wife had a shark helmet. I can't remember exactly which model, I know it was Duhamel replica if that helps.

We only had 2 issues with it. The first issue was that it is the only helmet (visor) I've come across that my 'dishwashing liquid anti fog' method didn't work, at all. This was rectified by buying a Fog City insert. The second issue had nothing to do with the helmet as such, she went on a diet and lost a heap of weight, as a result the helmet no longer fitted.

She now has an Arai.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down