Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head gasket replacement

3 posters

Go down

Head gasket replacement Empty Head gasket replacement

Post  truck Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

Gday All,
my 2002 1200 appears to have developed a head gasket seep/leak.
I have tried doing a search but to no avail to see I am capable of doing this job myself.

Is it just a matter of removing tank, and eventually the actual head and offfending gasket - replacing and then putting everything back on in the reverse order? probably need to torque bolts but is that as technical as it could get? Or just go to the shop that quoted $340 to do it for me.
I have next to no mechanical abilitiy but am keen to try and save money for a ride.
Thanks.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Head gasket replacement Empty Re: Head gasket replacement

Post  dhula Sat 13 Aug 2011, 12:58 am

being OHC, replacement of a head gasket on the 1200 bandit is not as simple as an old grey/red/blue/black motor.

Do a bit of a search on the interweb and download a service manual and have a bit of a read (should be able to get one for pretty cheap - ~$15 I reckon). Here is one place to download one at minimal cost

After that if it's out of your depth, pay the coin to get someone that has experience to do it, but IMO offer to help out, hold tools, sweep the floor to reduce a bit of the cost and at the same time learn some more about how your bike works

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 13 Aug 2011, 7:06 am

Have you tried re-torqueing the head blots ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Sat 13 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

No gus but now that you mention it I will give that a go, and dhula I think my mechanic of choice might just let me sweep his floor as a bit of a trade off and learning experience.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down