Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Pump Fix

+59
GSX1100G
Meatbix
LittleJohnny
captbruce
Chancho196
bigboresuzuki
NZspokes
BanditDave
truck
Nic 2
Chettlingham
Maxwell55
FrankenFairing
jopawa
spanna
#Tag
Chook
Craig67
Kiwisteve
Hammy
geekay007
potatomasher
Snorse
jstava
pspittle
TropoBone
edwinchan88
Blueknight
Cameron
reddog
sb1250
Jonno12345
suzbandit
holdenman
paul
grahame
SkyGoddess
Dekenai
tailights
Turdfarmers
Kaupy1962
Phill
Warwick
Four40
08k8
Thof
2wheelsagain
jaba01
Mpottsy
dhula
Fossil
Boatz
Baz
grumpy60
scopebud
Ewok1958
matt
Re-Cycled
gus
63 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Empty Fuel Pump Fix

Post  gus Thu 26 May 2011, 5:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

After 4 days trying to fix my ruining problems of no power, top speed of 10 kph OR 110 kph and no acceleration. I traced the fault to the fuel pump assembly. Sometimes it would work, other times it wouldn't. Pressure was either good or poor. It looked like a dodgy fuel pump which Suzuki want $700. If i had taken it to a dealer they would have replaced the assembly which would have fixed the problem but cost me $1000.

I'm unemployed at the moment so that was out of the question. I doubt VERY much I'm the only person to have this problem in the past
or future.

Photos and instructions following Smile

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Split photos from opening post to make page scrolling easier)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Fix

Post  madmax Tue 28 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

gus wrote:Thanks guys, I better keep working. The actually small pump can easily be tested by putting it in a bucket of fuel. Extend the wires a couple of feet to a battery, blue wire positive black wire earth (its marked). It will "jump" a little when connected and then be smooth, flow should be strong.

Reassemble everything, put it back into the bucket and retest. With mine flow (assembled) was good sometimes and poor the next time making it look like a faulty pump. The pump on its own  ALWAYS had good flow. Ever thing in the assembly is basic, no springs, no ball bearings nothing there to confuse any one. The pressure reg. can be tested with a home compressor. Air should pass through it at 45 + psi (not less) use a pointy nozzle and watch com pressure gauge.

Looking at the hidden mesh screen(you can just see it from underneath) IT LOOKED LIKE NEW, SHINNY NO DIRT, BUT IT WAS LIKE IT HAD A
CLEAR VARNISH ON IT. ONLY NOTICEABLE WHEN YOU SCRATCHED IT WITH THE COPPER WIRE.

All the pump assembly parts below
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Pbucket
Below. This part of the assembly where i am pointing is where the pump fits into.
Underneath that little hole is a mesh screen (believe me) insert a stripped end (copper) Of wire and use like a toothbrush. 
Insert wire from other side and repeat. You will feel the mesh screen
You will see gunk appearing. Wash out with boiling water. Repeat and repeat again.
Reassemble after cleaning and checking every thing else.
In the last 4 days i could only get 15 kms. Today i did 130 and it ran like a charm. Now i wonder how many good pumps have been chuck away worth $700. It might not work for you, but it has got to be worth a try before you give it to the dealer. They will say you need a new pump for sure.

Have we lost the photos due to photobucket changes?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Empty Changed my whole fuel pump assembly.

Post  bigboresuzuki Fri 18 May 2018, 6:02 pm

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 08__1611

As you may know I was having trouble fixing my acceleration woes. Luckily I scored a 2016 Fuel Tank off a 1500 km bike for a great price with pump assembly and cap included. Notice the change to the casings in the newer white item. My bike is running sweet now. I believe my fuel pressure regulator was bad. I had replaced the internal pump and replaced teabag filter and cleaned the screen to no avail. Glad I cleaned the Idle Speed Control Valve as well. Anyone in the Sunshine Coast area need help with their fuel pump, I'm a gun at getting them out now, give us a hoy.
bigboresuzuki
bigboresuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 19 May 2018, 9:48 am

This may be a dumb question, but is the fuel pressure regulator on that assembly?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 19 May 2018, 9:49 pm

The pressure regulator is the last white section of the pump, the bit that we scrape to clear the small filter.

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Bandit11

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  bigboresuzuki Sun 20 May 2018, 9:58 am

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 92def810
Fuel pressure regjlatorFuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1bf7a710Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 92def810
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1bf7a710Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 92def810
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1bf7a710Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 92def810
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1bf7a710
bigboresuzuki
bigboresuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 20 May 2018, 8:43 pm

Thanks for that  BM & BBS - I thought the regulator might have been ... not sure what I thought actually, but thanks anyhow.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  bigboresuzuki Mon 21 May 2018, 6:14 pm

Sorry about all those pics up there Ewok, first time I had uploaded on my phone....yowzer.
 If you go back to page one, Gus has all the pics there of it pulled to bits. My manual says not to remove the fuel regulator from the casing...doh. Being a "bull at a gate" I did not see these earlier pics or if I had, did not peruse them again. Mad I will, pull my old fuel regulator out and see if I can get a spare pump into action. I probably haven't cleaned the screen properly and the regulator is okay. Embarassed
bigboresuzuki
bigboresuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 22 May 2018, 7:10 pm

You must have sold that bike 10 time buy now .lol You and Terry should do a trip down .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Empty I think it's time for Gus'es FIX !!

Post  captbruce Mon 10 Jun 2019, 8:25 pm

I read all 8 pages of Gus'es Thread. Thanks, Gus...

My '07 GSF1250 has been sputtering for a while now, but now it died and won't re-start.
Feels like it's not getting any fuel

It all started after I left the bike in HOT, Humid Key West, Florida for 9 months, (under a "CycleShell). When I returned it didn't run right.
I've run fuel conditioner thru it a few times, but I think it's gummed up bad now.

The pump run and builds pressure and shuts, but acts like no fuel is getting to the motor.

I'll take the pump out and see what it looks like.

Thanks, guys.
Be Safe !!
captbruce
captbruce
captbruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Chancho196 Fri 09 Aug 2019, 10:14 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and read this post with interest as I had the same issue with my GSXR1000K6 a few years back. I hope this isn't considered spam but this is a link to my blog that shows the amount of fuel you can expect to flow from the fuel pump when testing.

First link shows the original diagnosis: https://biketech7.blogspot.com/2014/10/gsxr1000k6-fuel-pressure-and-flow.html

Second link shows the videos of before and after: https://biketech7.blogspot.com/2014/11/fuel-pumps-and-filters-gsxr-1000.html

Once the new pump and filter were fitted, the old girl was back to normal. Very Happy
Chancho196
Chancho196

https://www.biketech7.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 10 Aug 2019, 5:08 pm

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 959052286   Handy post ..............

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 10 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

Chancho196 wrote:

I hope this isn't considered spam

Not at all, great first post with good info.

Welcome aboard, what part of Oz are you from Chancho?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Chancho196 Sun 11 Aug 2019, 6:37 pm

Chook wrote:
Chancho196 wrote:

I hope this isn't considered spam

Not at all, great first post with good info.

Welcome aboard, what part of Oz are you from Chancho?
Gold Coast now, originally South Wales, UK.  Smile
Chancho196
Chancho196

https://www.biketech7.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Empty Finally back running !!

Post  captbruce Sun 11 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

I had to go into the hospital In late June, and had Cancer Surgery.
Everything is fine now, it's been 2 months. No CANCER, NO CHEMO, No Radiation !!
We caught it in time.
GUYS DON'T ignore a colonoscopy. Please... Take it from ME !!

I took my tank off before the surgery and took the fuel pump out.
But I didn't get to repair it until, about 4 weeks later.
The debris in the pump had dried up and when I shook it out it looked like "Cat litter" it was dried and flakey.
I will try to post a picture.

I reassembled it and it ran OK for a few minutes and stalled again.

So I went on eBay and found on from a 2016 Bandit and got the guy down to $250, with shipping.
I installed it and it runs fine with no issues.

Glad to be back on the road.
captbruce
captbruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 13 Aug 2019, 9:32 pm

Great to hear from you on both counts! cheers

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  captbruce Sun 18 Aug 2019, 7:16 pm

Here's what was inside my fuel pump

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Fuel%20pump%20705

This was removed after the fuel pump was removed from the tank and had dried for 2 months.

When I re-installed it it only worked a little better, but the bike would not run right so I bought a pump from a 2016 Bandit and everything is back to normal.

Ride Safe !!
captbruce
captbruce
captbruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 18 Aug 2019, 8:09 pm

Wow  heaps of crap .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 19 Aug 2019, 9:27 pm

That is quite bizarre . affraid confused. If I ever had a 1250 again I would simply poke a hole though the screen with a screwdriver .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Wed 08 Apr 2020, 3:11 pm

@gus
Just did your pump screen clean. Push unit againest tap and Nothing would pass through. Using wire, degreaser and carby cleaner for about 10 mins , what a difference. Couldn't see a damn thing when started. Thank you.

Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 20200415
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 20200414

LittleJohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 09 Apr 2020, 7:06 am

Good pic ,that's the trouble maker .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJohnny Sun 31 Jan 2021, 8:33 pm

That's a great pic! what a sh#t of a place to have a filter! I have noticed my 1250s surging slightly between 3-3500 rpm, decided to pull the tank and have a look at the teabag filter and this awkward little gauze. Used the copper wire toothbrush method to clean the gauze, I used most of a can of carb cleaner in there and a bit of compressed air and a whole heap of black gunk came out! I gave the teabag filter a good 45 minutes in my new Aldi ultrasonic cleaner but alas I fear its too far gone.. There seems to be sludge in there that no amount of carb cleaner and air will get out. I ended up ordering a new one from the local Zook stealer, hopefully it doesn't take til next Christmas to get here... While the tank is off and SuziQ is out of action I decided to yank the plugs and replace them also, by the looks they have never been out and she's done 54,000 odd km. Next project will be to order a set of gauges, and balance the TBs.. Ive made enquiry at the stealership about getting valve clearances done, was "quoted" $400ish and a good day in the workshop, does that sound about right? I could probably tackle it myself but prefer not to....
LittleJohnny
LittleJohnny

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Sun 31 Jan 2021, 8:52 pm

Hi LJ,
3 cheers for Gus!,
Tea bags are cheap , "Gus"s fuel filter fix" is definitely worth doing. should be able to hit 120 in 2nd easy now.
might as well do air filter while your in there 😀.
don't know about cost for valves, but no doubt they will replace about $100 worth of gaskets to ensure no oil leaks.
the fix you just did won't be done in a shop - sell you complete regulator $170 plus labour, or new complete pump $700 plus labour. so with all that and the plugs yourself, you are still in front getting them to do it.

LittleJohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJohnny Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:01 pm

GSX1100G wrote:Hi LJ,
3 cheers for Gus!,
Tea bags are cheap , "Gus"s fuel filter fix" is definitely worth doing. should be able to hit 120 in 2nd easy now.
might as well do air filter while your in there 😀.
don't know about cost for valves, but no doubt they will replace about $100 worth of gaskets to ensure no oil leaks.
the fix you just did won't be done in a shop - sell you complete regulator $170 plus labour, or new complete pump $700 plus labour.  so with all that and the plugs yourself,  you are still in front getting them to do it.

I wonder how I shout Gus a few beers? Definitely worth it. Yeah, K&N is on the wish list. its one of those things I have to slip past the wife.. Rolling Eyes Need a new front tyre soonish so its a case of priorities, and a few more hours overtime to pump up the bike parts kitty.. Unless.... I figure out where she's hidden the credit card.. Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1827015367 Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1827015367 Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 1827015367
LittleJohnny
LittleJohnny

paul and GSX1100G like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJohnny Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:26 pm

LittleJohnny wrote:That's a great pic! what a sh#t of a place to have a filter! I have noticed my 1250s surging slightly between 3-3500 rpm, decided to pull the tank and have a look at the teabag filter and this awkward little gauze. Used the copper wire toothbrush method to clean the gauze, I used most of a can of carb cleaner in there and a bit of compressed air and a whole heap of black gunk came out! I gave the teabag filter a good 45 minutes in my new Aldi ultrasonic cleaner but alas I fear its too far gone.. There seems to be sludge in there that no amount of carb cleaner and air will get out. I ended up ordering a new one from the local Zook stealer, hopefully it doesn't take til next Christmas to get here... While the tank is off and SuziQ is out of action I decided to yank the plugs and replace them also, by the looks they have never been out and she's done 54,000 odd km. Next project will be to order a set of gauges, and balance the TBs.. Ive made enquiry at the stealership about getting valve clearances done, was "quoted" $400ish and a good day in the workshop, does that sound about right? I could probably tackle it myself but prefer not to....
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Housin10Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Housin10
Fuel pump - Fuel Pump Fix - Page 8 Sparkp10
LittleJohnny
LittleJohnny

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJohnny Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:27 pm

Still figuring out how to insert pics but thats the sludge I got out, and the old plugs. I made sure to blow the plug holes out with air before removing them..
LittleJohnny
LittleJohnny

GSX1100G likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next