Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing.

+3
Ewok1958
Dekenai
Badger
7 posters

Go down

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing. Empty fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing.

Post  Badger Sun 05 May 2013, 1:43 pm

Hi,
The Bandit was a bit grubby after a 400 km ride last Sunday so washed the bike friday morning. Went to start it next morning, yesterday, and the battery was completely flat.
I charged the battery overnight, charger indicated it was fully charged but when i went to start the bike all lights came on but no fuel pump prime sound and the fuel FI light is flashing. The engine is
turning over normally put won't start.
I've checked the side stand, the starter and clutch switches, and they seem ok. Anybody got any ideas?
I've had trouble with the battery going flat after a wash before but the bike has started after I've recharged the battery. The battery isn't that old either.
Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing. Empty Re: fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing.

Post  Dekenai Sun 05 May 2013, 1:47 pm

Not having a go, but kill switch?
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing. Empty Re: fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing.

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 05 May 2013, 2:00 pm

Do you have a multimeter to confirm what voltage the battery has?
I'm not sure how much voltage is required to prime the injectors but would low voltage cause the FI light to flash? I don't recall that happening when I flattened my battery (left it with the park lights on all night) - I just recall everything being dead as a doornail but the battery was at almost zero.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing. Empty fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing

Post  Badger Sun 05 May 2013, 2:14 pm

Yeah kill switch is in the right position.
I was going to check the FI fuse but not sure where it is located. Is it easy to get to?
Ewok, no I don't have a multimetre I've no idea about auto electrics.
It's funny I was going into the local Triumph dealer yesterday morning to get a trade in price on a Tiger 1050se, maybe the bike don't want to let me go.
Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing. Empty fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing

Post  Badger Sun 05 May 2013, 4:22 pm

Well fark me just went out and tried to start the bike and it started. Shocked Shocked Me thinks I have a Gremlin in the machine confused and I didn't do anything different
I'm gonna leave the charger off the battery tonight to see if the battery goes flat again.
I did find an owner on another forum who was having the same problems as me but there was no solution to the problem at the end of the thread.
So I shall see what happens tomorrow
Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 05 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Did you hear the fuel injection priming?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 05 May 2013, 5:17 pm

maybe you just had water somewhere it shouldn't have been after you washed it

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Badger Sun 05 May 2013, 6:45 pm

Did you hear the fuel injection priming?

This morning when I tried to start it, all the lights came on as normal but no fuel pump priming, plus I had a flashing FI light and the same thing after each attempt trying to trouble shoot.
Left it for a while till later this avo and the bike started all as normal, fuel pump primed and no FI light.

Maybe as Paul said, water is getting in somewhere, but it seems to happen each time wash it. I do take care of where I hose when I wash to.

I've been lucky I haven't been caught in the rain on an overnighter, to wake in the morning to a flat battery.

Oh well all good now, for the time being. Thanks for your input

Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sun 05 May 2013, 7:10 pm

Check your battery terminals are tight and clean as well. Give your clutch and sidestand interlock switches a clean with some contact cleaner than a bit of WD40 too. Check the main harness connector on the right hand side of the headstock. Some have reported corrosion in there, so check the terminals are free of corrosion and put a smear of dielectric grease on the joining edges.

Generally faults linked to water will be physical things, so when you look at the bike, look at connectors that are exposed to water working its way in from the front of the bike rather than in the depths. Naked Bandits seem to have issues around the instruments in the UK (salted roads though).

Failingthat, you may have early onset battery death looming, although based on the symptoms I'd say interlock switches or harness.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Badger Mon 06 May 2013, 6:03 pm

Thanks kewwig I will take a look at the main harness connection.
Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Mon 06 May 2013, 11:33 pm

Could have got some moisture around the kill switch, they're pricks of things.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 07 May 2013, 8:59 pm

If the fi light is flashing why not put the bike into dealer mode to get the fault code. That would be where I would start to be honest.

@Dhula s Tb post has it as step 2

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t311-tb-balance-sync?highlight=Tb+sync

Last edited by reddog on Tue 07 May 2013, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link to dealer mode)
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing. Empty fuel pump not priming, FI light flashing.

Post  Badger Thu 09 May 2013, 3:04 pm

I am 90% sure water is getting into a wiring connection or into the kill switch. Maybe it's dried out cos the bike has been starting as normal and no FI
flashing since Sunday arvo.
Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum