Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cheap chain oiler

4 posters

Go down

cheap chain oiler  Empty cheap chain oiler

Post  gus Tue 30 Nov 2010, 7:42 pm

Installed one of these from www.tutorochainoiler.com in the UK.
You have to turn it on and off but for $25 can't complain.
Won Best Buy Ride Magazine.
Work quite well. Fitted it so could turn it on while on the move.
Anybody else tried it?
cheap chain oiler  DSCF0571
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

cheap chain oiler  Empty Re: cheap chain oiler

Post  1952 Fri 03 Dec 2010, 1:31 am

Keep us informed about how it performs. Certainly looks to be based on the K.I.S.S. Principle.
I do wonder - having read years of comments re. WD40 and chain lubrication - with an 'O' Ring sealed chain, just what is it you are lubricating? And does it do more in Australia's salt-free roads, than can be achieved with an occassional wipe of the chain and a light spray or wipe of oil or 'Chain Oil'?
At the price you mention it wouldn't have to do very much good to justify the cost.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 03 Dec 2010, 9:03 am

Might take awhile to know the results as i had done 25.000k before i put it on.(now 31.oook)
I've heard this theory before, that it's better to give the chain a quick spray of wd40.(I"m into this topic Very Happy )If I'm wrong please let me know.

Aren'T I lubricating the sprocket and OUTER roller of the chain? Look at the chain after it's been raining .It's so shinny,isn't that wear in action?
I often thought this wd40 thing on chains is a pommy (born there GO pom. cricketers,sorry Cam.) thing .They just don't do any miles,compared to us anyway.Then we have to wonder about the SALT they put on the roads,maybe that would stick to chain lube?I've just read Jason Akermanis's book, I'm starting to worry I'm starting to sound like him.If anybody wants it FREE let me know and I'll put it in the mail.

Normally i remember to oil the chain while I'm riding, then forget when i stop.The beauty of this oiler is that you can turn it on when your riding.The down side is you have to remember to turn it OFF.They sell a single oil outlet and a double outlet .I got the double but modified it to a single (E-mail me )
You can buy a bottle of SCOTT oil but it costs more than the oiler.Everybody has some suitable oil in shed or you wouldn't be reading this. Very Happy I still use a can of spray lube and use the oiler as a backup.
At $25 including postage it's a go-er.(for me anyway) If your a wd40 person (on chains)enlighten me. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  boomer Fri 03 Dec 2010, 10:45 am

I asked a few questions of friends when I saw this thread, as I was quite interested in getting an oiler.
In the end, because other people I know have them, & there's no tap to have to remember to turn off, I purchased this:-

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/

$30, & all it takes is a little squeeze every now & again.
Once received & installed I'll put up some photos.

FarRider #412

cheap chain oiler  Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

http://www.scottspics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 03 Dec 2010, 11:30 am

Your right you DO have to remember to turn it off .Takes a long long time to empty though.I only tend to use it on a long ride ,so turn it on in the morning off at the end off the day.What you have may be better.As long as you can hide that disgusting plastic bottle. They all seem to have some faults,like all of us but at $30.another go-er. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 03 Dec 2010, 7:21 pm

I dunno. I carry a small can of spray wax and give it a quick squirt when the chain's hot at the end of the day - easy with a centrestand. It's supposed to be applied to a hot chain/sprocket and left to dry - hence end-of-day treatment. I do it only about every 500k, or more if I've been on dirt roads. It seems to be working pretty well and I haven't used up the first can in 7,500kms. But then, with only 7,500 kms wh knows if it's really working. Oh well, it makes me feel as if I'm doing the right thing! Smile
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 01 Feb 2011, 1:00 pm

I've been using the "tutono " oiler now for 6 months so time to have a" tested it review"
The double sided feed blocks up easily ,so it doesnt work ,the d.s.f refuses to stay in place .(buy single feed )
Converted it to single drip feed with little red tube off wd 40 can . (easy if you have shrink wrap,love that stuff )
Now still blocks up but only occasionally easy to clean out .Stays in place. Still fiddly
Does it work--yes but not if you hate maintenance or washing your bike.
Would i buy another one ---Yes.
Is it obvious and ugly ---No
is it value for money ($20)---Definitely (dont get double feed )
What would you change---I'd buy the clamp from them to hold it on better $5
Does it worry you having to turn it on and off ----No.I can do it riding.Turn it on, 30 mins later turn it off , chain oiled for 500 kls.+
Does it replace a spray can---No, its a back up and means you dont have to carry a can on a day ride (no storage remember Mad )Big bonus
Score out of ten (single feed )----7.5 (it was only $20 )
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down