Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure Bikes

+3
Nico
truck
rodent4
7 posters

Go down

Adventure Bikes  Empty Adventure Bikes

Post  gus Thu 04 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm

Carol and I just got back from an overnight ride up the West Coast ( Tas )  600 kls sealed road ,50 kls dirt .Fj1200 and Bandit 600 .
Warm and sunny to cold ,wet ,misty conditions . In the 650kls we saw 0ne other motorbike ( triumph T120 ) 
All these adventure bikes I see in town , where are you ? 
One big adventure from the shed to the lounge i'm thinking .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Adventure Bikes  Empty Re: Adventure Bikes

Post  truck Fri 05 Oct 2018, 9:15 pm

I rushed out and bought an old 96 KLX 650 kick start only a few long months ago to give me the option to take a off road route when ever the feeling arose.
Alas - It's still sitting in the shed and I'm still trying to start it.
Once I get it registered again, I'll be keen to get it out and amongst it though.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico Fri 13 Nov 2020, 10:02 pm

We are out there, just hiding Very Happy

Nico

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 13 Nov 2020, 11:23 pm

Half of the GS owners don't like to get them dirty. The rest don't want to get them damaged

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  rodent4 Sat 14 Nov 2020, 5:19 am

Personally, I don't see the attraction.
rodent4
rodent4

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 14 Nov 2020, 11:56 am

I've often thought about what I'd swap the Bandit over for when it's time,

Another low km Bandit 
- swap all of my luggage, pipe, eat cover etc to the newer one, if I find one at the right price, a cheap option

V Strom 
- 1000/1050 - great comfy touring bike with oodles of grunt and the option to do a bit of dirt, too heavy for really rough stuff or soft sand
- 600/650 - great comfy touring bike, not sure if I'm ready to drop hp by that much yet, light enough to tackle a bit more than just dirt roads

A different touring bike
- There are plenty of awesome options from other marks but none offer both of the value for money or reliability that the Suzukis' do, plenty of very reliable bikes but expensive in comparison.

I'm leaning towards either a lower km Bandit or a 1000 V Strom
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Mon 16 Nov 2020, 1:28 pm

What a Coincidence. I just took my old 96 KLX 650 (My 2nd adv bike, my 1st adv bike is my 02 bandit Smile ) out for it's first ride on the weekend - no stacks - all good.
truck
truck

paul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico Fri 20 Nov 2020, 4:24 am

madmax wrote:Half of the GS owners don't like to get them dirty. The rest don't want to get them damaged
Not sure where i fit into your assumption, mathematically you're saying 100% don't use them for what they are designed. 45,000km in 2 years, more on dirt than not and a few laydowns too. She not pretty but getting away from people is a bliss for some.Adventure Bikes  Fb_img10

Nico

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 20 Nov 2020, 7:36 am

Nico wrote:
madmax wrote:Half of the GS owners don't like to get them dirty. The rest don't want to get them damaged
Not sure where i fit into your assumption, mathematically you're saying 100% don't use them for what they are designed. 45,000km in 2 years, more on dirt than not and a few laydowns too. She not pretty but getting away from people is a bliss for some.Adventure Bikes  Fb_img10
I'm just teasing Nico. 
However most of the owners buy them for touringon bitumen and maybe the occasional gravel road. They buy them because of how comfortable they are as a tourer.
Good to see yours out and about in its natural habitat  Adventure Bikes  959052286

madmax
madmax

Nico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 20 Nov 2020, 9:14 am

Ok then ,thats one .lol  Laughing And thats definitely NOT Tasmania .lol Very Happy
For some strange reason ,local Tasmanians dont like to travel . If your born in the south ,thats where you stay . FOREEEEEVVVVEEEERRRR.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 20 Nov 2020, 10:00 am

gus wrote:Ok then ,thats one .lol  Laughing And thats definitely NOT Tasmania .lol Very Happy
For some strange reason ,local Tasmanians dont like to travel . If your born in the south ,thats where you stay . FOREEEEEVVVVEEEERRRR.
Unless you're like my mate and his partner who escaped to SA in their early 20's, they both tell the same story though  Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Chook on Fri 20 Nov 2020, 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Fri 20 Nov 2020, 4:20 pm

Adventure bikes - I've thought about them a lot in recent times.  

Dreamed the dream, remember how it used to be with the Xt550.  Loved it, had it a long time. Mostly commuted, but did a lot of dirt roads and trails, travelled to the city (3 hours away).  It was a great bike in the city. Got out and went a few distant places.  I don't recall any problem with "packing." I had nothing special in the way of racks. Occy straps and soft bags was enough for my light way of going.  I never lost anything anyway. This was almost the perfect all rounder.  I'd draw the line at touring interstate where one wants to carry more.  The XT would, and did carry stuff all the way up to 40kg bags of chook pellets. This did wonders for my talent at wheel stands.  Oops, was pretty much the way it went.  The bike would loft the front easily without the weight and overenthusiastic application of the throttle going into second was not so uncommon without any load at all.  In the end, it had to go.  Nothing to do with wheel stands.  

The Bandit K7 is a completely different thing.  I love the effortless ability to soak up distance and negotiate busy roads, subject to how lucky I feel. I can carry way more than anyone should be entitled to in trips away.  This can and has been an advantage when it is very very wet.  It's not a bad bike just to get around on round the town (s) either.  I've never regarded myself as much of a recreational rider so the COVID thing didn't affect any pull that the Hilly swervery might have.  Hey, don't get me wrong, I like it when its there, but I'm not going to ride hours just to reach it.  I've been off the bitumen a few times, sampled coastal sandy roads and steep rocky stuff and lots of variety in unsurfaced roads.  3 things daunt the bejesus out of me: mud, deep dry sand, and gravel resembling marbles.  

Now any of these things would present no kind of problem at all for the trail bike, with the exception of maybe the mud - the black clingy stuff.  So at certain times, I sorely wish I was on the back of the thumper, and wish I never had parted with it, think, maybe I could buy it back. It's a candidate for club plates. Yeah, all of that.  So my thoughts turn to what is next. 

Could be an adventure bike.  Any one of them would get up the road better than the XT AND be a lot more comfortable.  The Wee Strom looks good.  I don't see much point in big power in a trail bike, unless the smaller version is clearly too "buzzy" Coming from a thumper, I can't see that being a problem.  The weight might be.  "real" trail bike?  While a DR might be attractive, I can't see riding halfway across the country on one.  Maybe I'm just getting soft.  

Food for thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down