Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a wild night!!!!

5 posters

Go down

What a wild night!!!! Empty What a wild night!!!!

Post  Chook Wed 28 Dec 2016, 6:57 am

I went to bed about 10:00 ish with the knowledge that the BOM had cancelled the strong wind warning for our area, about 1:00am I was woken by a blind banging on our front veranda, went outside in the pouring rain and while I was struggling to untangle the ropes it started to tear of at it's top mount, that made it easy, just ripped it the rest of the wa off, quick look around outside, every thing seemed ok (other than minor flooding in the carport)
1:40, hadn't been back to sleep yet and I could hear more banging down the side of the house, shade sail over my son's bedroom window had cut loose on one corner and the mount buckle was trying to smash his window (how he didn't hear it is beyond me!!), wrapped it around itself and gave it a 1/2 hitch to secure it to itself, quick check around again, blocked shed gutter downpipe, grabbed the ladder, cleared the blockage,  dried off again, back to bed.
2:10, another blind banging, still no sleep, that was easier, just a retractable one that wouldn't stay in it's support brackets, dried off again, back to bed.
2:40, shade sail had untied itself, back outside, this time tied it to itself with a rope, reset alarm from 4:30 to 5:30 (no gym today), dried off again, back to bed.
Last time I looked at the clock it was after 3:45, seemed like less than 5 minutes later, alarm goes off  Mad
Quick look around outside, pretty lucky compared to some, tree branch down in back yard, 1 wrecked blind, 1 damaged shade sail and bugger all sleep, damn no holidays, back to work looking like a Zombie today.
I hope everyone else is as well off as us today and I hope those of you that are about to cop it in the Eastern States survive no worse off as well

OH yeah, we also had 85.6 mm of rain last night, 111 for the month and our wettest year for as long as I can remember, over 700mm, our wettest since 2007 when I got my rain gauge had been 570mm and that was the only year we'd recorded 500mm
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

What a wild night!!!! Empty Re: What a wild night!!!!

Post  Chalkie Wed 28 Dec 2016, 7:11 am

Sorry to hear about your night of horror Chook.  Over here in Melbourne I was woken three or four times with windows rattling but no apparent damage. Ride safely!
Chalkie
Chalkie

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 28 Dec 2016, 8:12 am

we had a lot of rain ( not as much as the city ) & stronger winds than in town,with sfa sleep for the night. luckily only small branch damage ................we packed everything up earlier in the evening .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 28 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

Its' supposed to hit us today

Melbourne area
Humid. Cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and early afternoon. Winds northeasterly 25 to 35 km/h tending northerly 35 to 50 km/h in the morning and further increasing to 40 to 60 km/h during the afternoon with stronger squalls.

Still going to be 35c though.

Glad I'm not working for a few days

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 28 Dec 2016, 2:57 pm

madmax wrote:Its' supposed to hit us today

Melbourne area
Humid. Cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and early afternoon. Winds northeasterly 25 to 35 km/h tending northerly 35 to 50 km/h in the morning and further increasing to 40 to 60 km/h during the afternoon with stronger squalls.

Still going to be 35c though.

Glad I'm not working for a few days
If it's anything like over here , you will be getting a lot more than that !

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 28 Dec 2016, 3:42 pm

As a deep thinking motorcyclist I am wondering if all the climate scientists have got it wrong.

Consider what you observe when riding an air cooled motorcycle.
When you are going slow you feel more heat from the engine than when you are going fast.

Windscreens on motorcycles reduce your speed as they impede air flow.

If you erect a wind turbine have you not achieved a similar thing although in this case you have slowed the rotation of the planet by a minute amount.

Each wind turbine adds to the effect so the more wind turbines you erect, the more the effect on rotational speed.

When you slow down, you get hotter i.e. global warming.

Am I the only one who can see the error in their thinking.

I am also thinking that the addition of solar panels blocks the ability of the planet to cool.

Enough solar panels and we potentially have a problem.

I think it is time to reconsider coal as a fuel source before it is too late. Shocked

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 28 Dec 2016, 6:30 pm

BanditDave wrote:As a deep thinking motorcyclist I am wondering if all the climate scientists have got it wrong.

When you are going slow you feel more heat from the engine than when you are going fast.

If you erect a wind turbine have you not achieved a similar thing although in this case you have slowed the rotation of the planet by a minute amount.

Each wind turbine adds to the effect so the more wind turbines you erect, the more the effect on rotational speed.

I am also thinking that the addition of solar panels blocks the ability of the planet to cool.

I think it is time to reconsider coal as a fuel source before it is too late. Shocked
Good point ..............but what if you could reverse the rotation of the turbine with that same wind power ............... ( like reversing a ceiling fan )they would still turn to produce power but also would that not then work in our favour ?  Wink  Hmmm ........perhaps reflective solar panels ................nah might blind the astronauts  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Wed 28 Dec 2016, 7:16 pm

What a wild night!!!! 2egdxz7
I want some of what they are on drunken drunken drunken
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 29 Dec 2016, 9:57 am

paul wrote:
BanditDave wrote:As a deep thinking motorcyclist I am wondering if all the climate scientists have got it wrong.

Good point ..............but what if you could reverse the rotation of the turbine with that same wind power ............... ( like reversing a ceiling fan )they would still turn to produce power but also would that not then work in our favour ?  Wink  Hmmm ........perhaps reflective solar panels ................nah might blind the astronauts  Laughing

For Christ sake you 2 have a beer, too much in depth thinking going on here

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 29 Dec 2016, 10:36 am

madmax wrote:
paul wrote:

For Christ sake you 2 have a beer, too much in depth thinking going on here
Inside my head is a scary enough place to be without the added philosophical effects of alcohol .  affraid   Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 29 Dec 2016, 1:57 pm

While we are walking on the wild side have a little dabble in theoretical physics which I posted on the Dungies forum.

I had the pleasure of working with a couple of theoretical physicists many years ago when working at a university.

These people were in my opinion as smart as anyone could possibly be but wore slip on shoes as they would have had trouble with real world issues like tying shoe laces.

Theoretical physics is something that can be explained but not measured and comes in a couple of flavours including special relativity and quantum mechanics.

One popular problem posed in theoretical physics goes something like this

You are driving your Volkswagen car (insert your vehicle of choice if you prefer) at the speed of light.
You look forward through the windscreen and switch on your headlights.

What do you observe/experience?

There's lots more but enough for starters.

Here's another easy one for you.

Firstly you need to accept that photons have some energy.

If your OK with that, if someone shines a torch at you do you become displaced? Once again we are talking of very small energy levels.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 29 Dec 2016, 4:31 pm

Now come on Dave you know that what your going to see out of your Volkswagen screen is going to look something like this

What a wild night!!!! Speed-of-light-e13581009409561_mini

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 29 Dec 2016, 8:54 pm

What a wild night!!!! E3a12410

Oh well at least the crappy weather is improving ................. cheers

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 30 Dec 2016, 7:50 am

Maybe Chook could change the thread title to "excessive deep thinking"

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum