Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems.

5 posters

Go down

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. Empty Time to experiment again with exhaust systems.

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:02 am

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. <a href=Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. _111" />
Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. <a href=Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. _110" />
I did a drive by to my local bike wrecker, looking for headlights, and exhaust Cans.

My DRZ400E, to me is extremely, and annoying loud, and as the Can on them is basically straight through, and doesn't  go through to chambers as per a normal street bikes, there`s not a lot you can do with them to help them breath, and be quiet at the same time.

My goal was to try and find a Can of about the same size as the DRZ, and do what I did to one of my Bandits Can, by modifying it and opening up the internals, so as to breath, and be quiet by going through two chambers.

The lad at the wreckers said, why don`t you get a GSX R 1000 03-04 Can, and adapt it to suit. He had one sitting  beside the counter and handed it to me. Bloody hell they`re light. They`re all Titanium guts, with an ally housing. He proceeded to say it was a common mod to trail bikes for this reason.
So I decided to look up the specs on the 03-04 GSX R, and they`re 164HP. Take away 15% for drive line rule of thumb for bikes, and that's 139.4 rear wheel HP capability from a factory Can, that's also quiet, which I have stated numerous times, I hate noise.
So I said how much, straight away he said $250...I choked, proceeded to go home, look on ebay, and just won one, for $62.

I`m now on the hunt for another one, so ones going on the DRZ, and another one is going on my other Bandit.  Some mods will have to be done for both bikes, but a lot less fabrication will have to be done than pulling apart the internals and opening up the arteries to make it breath...The Cans breath already.

You can see the size difference of the exiting pipe compared to a Bandit Can. Its huge, hence why it can still produce HP.
More than enough for a Bandit, and a Bandit that's been tinkered.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. Empty Re: Time to experiment again with exhaust systems.

Post  Bosco15 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 7:00 am

Nice work,  MTB. 
I had an '03 Gsxr 750. I don't know if it was exactly the same can as the 1000, but it looked the same.  
Guys used to ask me, at the track, why I hadn't gone for a Yoshi? 
I couldn't see the point of dropping big $$$ when the stock can used to work well. The thing was a stonking machine. I used to round up all the guys on their big girls around the back of the Creek, only loosing out to them in the last 200m of the straight,  to pass them again on turn one. 
Sometimes the engineers know what they're doing.

Back to top Go down

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. Empty Re: Time to experiment again with exhaust systems.

Post  reddog Fri 29 Apr 2016, 8:34 am

I run a muzzy on my drz. I've got the quiet insert as well as the spark arrestor in. Still sounds good without the obnoxious cackle of the gutted OEM it had on it. Good luck with your mod, interested to hear how it goes
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 29 Apr 2016, 8:52 am

I`ve never ridden a 750 in any of the breeds. Only done the 600`s and 1000`s.

They seem to have a good rep, but you never see them, only the usual suspects.

Wouldn`t surprise me if it was the same Cam on the 1000, and the 750, just mapped differently.

I do question sometimes the marketing, and need for a noisy drain pipe on the side of someone`s bike,
especially if the bike isn`t punching big numbers, its not warranted. We don`t ride highly modified engined bikes, pushing 180-200 REAR WHEEL HP, and typically, when you go the big chamber, its not doing any favours for torque, when you read into the physics of how it all works, combined with a "Tuned Header" to suit the EXACT needs, of one`s set up, not off the shelf bolt on . 
 When you take away back pressure, it affects torque, and how its delivered.

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 29 Apr 2016, 10:12 am

I've still got my baffle in mine reddog, but I have altered it a little bit so it breaths more.
When you pull the standard baffle out, and have a look at it,
it makes you wonder how it breaths at all, as it really does affect the power on the DRZ,
but still too loud for me.

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:10 pm

Bosco15 wrote:Nice work,  MTB. 
I had an '03 Gsxr 750. I don't know if it was exactly the same can as the 1000, but it looked the same.  
I couldn't see the point of dropping big $$$ when the stock can used to work well. The thing was a stonking machine. I used to round up all the guys on their big girls around the back of the Creek, only loosing out to them in the last 200m of the straight,  to pass them again on turn one. 

Ran 2 years with standard cans on the Gixxer...only put the Akra on when I started grounding the stock cans...picked up 18 RWHP in the process.

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. Wp_20110
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

Dekenai wrote:

Ran 2 years with standard cans on the Gixxer...only put the Akra on when I started grounding the stock cans...picked up 18 RWHP in the process.
Just curious Dekenai, did you try tuning the bike with the standard system only, a before and after with the standard system only? and if so, how much extra did it gain?
Just remapping it to see what can be achieved with a standard only system from factory?

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 4:59 pm

Dekenai wrote:

Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. Wp_20110
Nice. Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. 959052286
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 7:10 pm

Mmm , gold rims hey dave?  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 8:28 pm

Bosco15 wrote:Mmm , gold rims hey dave?  Razz

Wink
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 30 Apr 2016, 10:13 am

mtbeerwah wrote:

Just curious Dekenai, did you try tuning the bike with the standard system only, a before and after with the standard system only? and if so, how much extra did it gain?
Just remapping it to see what can be achieved with a standard only system from factory?

That was the difference between the base run and final.  So, sorry don't have a baseline for 'tuned' factory setup.  My suspicion is that a 'tuned' stock setup would have given a 4-5 hp gain in moving form an 'emissions compliant' map to a 'best power' map.  I would have also expected an improvement in drive(ride)ability, particularly coming off a closed throttle and when you do a throttle 'chop'.  The dyno chart is interesting in that there is almost no change in the shape of the before and after runs...the traces have just moved up.  The chart is at work so I will have to wait till Monday to post.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 02 May 2016, 12:19 pm

Here it is:

SAE correction (1.06) has been applied giving 170.42...I calculated the density and got a corrected 174...which is almost exactly what I was expecting. 
Time to experiment again with exhaust systems. Gsxr_d10
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 02 May 2016, 3:58 pm

I see it gets a second wind at around 7200rpm, and holds a constant run till 11 000rpm.

Is that where you ride it, or are you happy with the lower end torque as well?

I`ve been thinking about an 05-06, apparently from what I`ve read, they`ve got the best mid range out of all the 1000 Gix`s.

I rode a 2013 at the beginning of last year. It was nice, and obviously quick, but didn`t feel quick, if that makes sense.
Just seemed to lack torque, Year it revved, but the mid range seemed doughy. It had a noise maker on it, but can`t say if it had been mapped or not.  
I want to see a manufacturer use a 1000 of what ever brands chassis , but use an inline 4 big bore, so I can ride from 3000-8000rpm.
Not a twin though, I`m just not a fan of twins. ridden a lot, and don`t like them.
Busa motor in a Gixer would be the go!!!

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Tue 03 May 2016, 7:58 am

Actually there is a really good build thread on Gixxer.com where a guy in the states is slipping a ‘Busa engine into a gixxer frame.  No easy feat but the quality of his work is superb, I think his handle was gunplumber…I believe he is a gun smith by trade.  In the saddle the gixxer feels a little ‘soft’ between 5 and 8 and so typically I would run above 8, but there bits where I will let her pull from about 5-6. 

My riding mate has a K6 and he says he pretty much has me covered for power but we suspect there may be some internal work on his engine.  Popular wisdom is that tunned, all years gixxer thou’s come out about the same.  The K9 seems to turn faster than the K6, and generally I can get tighter.
Before the tune, I also felt the gixxer lacked torque but I think that this is part of the ‘oh so friendly’ nature of the bike.  These bikes have so few vices (compared to the vicious things I grew up on) and are so easy to ride that you wonder why so many guys have thousand-phobia.  Of course, riding well or quickly is not so easy.

Actually, sounds more like a Bandit, rather than a ‘Busa for 3 – 8. J
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 03 May 2016, 9:42 am

[quote="Dekenai"]

Actually, sounds more like a Bandit, rather than a ‘Busa for 3 – 8

Ha Ha...yes, but some what of a handling problem there with a Bandit though.
Agreed, ridding fast isn't easy, and doesn't mean big power is the answer.
Riding smoothly and consistently goes along way.
Some of the new 300 classes would also be a lot of fun; R3 etc.....
I'll look that tread on the build.

mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum