Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Commander 5 Question.

+4
Ewok1958
#Tag
2wheelsagain
Toby Hibs
8 posters

Go down

Power Commander 5 Question. Empty Power Commander 5 Question.

Post  Toby Hibs Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:03 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, had over a dozen bikes in my 20 years of riding 3 of them being Bandits. However I'm hopeless with anything mechanical, but do enjoy fixing things until they are broke then having to pay a professional to fix it.
I bought a Bandit 1250 that already had a PC5 and a Delkevic slip on with no Baffle/DB killer fitted.
My question is: If I fit a Baffle/DB killer would I have to get the bike remapped or put on a Dyno?
I've emailed mechanics and been told Yes, No, not sure!
Thanks in advance, all advice much appreciated.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Power Commander 5 Question. Empty Re: Power Commander 5 Question.

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:32 pm

If you have the stock headers you'll be fine. The cat is the main restriction in the 1250 system.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:05 pm

Hi 2wheelsagain,
thanks for your reply, yes it still has the stock headers. I was thinking the power commander would be affected by the back pressure due to baffle inserted.
Cheers.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:58 pm

Toby Hibs wrote: However I'm hopeless with anything mechanical, but do enjoy fixing things until they are broke then having to pay a professional to fix it.

Making statements like that you'll fit in just fine here  Power Commander 5 Question. 959052286

Call that mechanic back again and ask him why the millions upon millions of bikes that have been modded with no fuel remapping have not gone up in flames.

The mapping changes from a db killer only will be very minor and without remapping the bike will run slightly (very slightly) richer, so is safe.

If you want to be sure, download the free Powercommander control software from Dynotune and install it on your laptop.  (the PCV user manual is there too if you want it.)http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

Search for the Bandit map with aftermarket end can and make sure this is the map installed in your PCV  (Start the software in your laptop and plug a usb cable into the side of the PCV and select "get map" This will display the installed map and will probably have the same name as the one you get from the website.)
If the map has an unusual name it may have been mapped by a dynotuner when it was installed. If so, leave it alone.

In any case if you select the "fuel table" and see non zero numbers, then the bike has been mapped. If the fuel table contains all zeroes, then the powercommander was installed without a map and the bike is running the oem fuel table.

If you continue with the popular mods that many Bandit owners perform there will be a map suitable for that from this thread :

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t5932-gsx-1250-pcv-maps
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:12 pm

Thanks #Tag,
Sounds confusing but I'll give it a go tomorrow. My previous 1250 didn't have a PC and I was very happy with it. I actually can't tell the differance with having one,
Thanks again for your help, I'll let you know how I get on.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:18 pm

With the can (slip on) being the only mod on the exhaust side of things, the PC is an overkill (IMHO). So next question, what has been done elsewhere? First up: air box and filter - any changes? Next: are the secondaries still in place?  Third, top end. If the can is the only change then you really got a free PC5 that you can use for future mods or sell or remove.

But look, you have no insight into the previous owners brain or what he/she was told at the time the can was changed.  The PC5 might have been added because the previous owner was told it was necessary for a can change to stop the valves being burnt or for more power (both marginally valid but very very seriously questionable if there are no other mods - I ran a can only change for 50,00kms with no other changes).

What I'm saying is, that without other mods, you have a PC5 basically doing SFA (assuming the intake system or cam hasn't been changed), but with it in place you've got the ability to tune your bike very accurately to any further intake/exhaust changes. That's a plus.

PS: I'm running a full exhaust change (headers and can), O2 sensor removed, and K&N air filter, no secondaries changed, and no timing or valve changes, and I'm confident that I don't need a PC5 (although I suspect I'm running slightly rich, not lean). And running 91 RON fuel.

But, if you're in pursuit of HP then everything I said is irrelevant!

cheerscheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Tony OFB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:21 pm

No worries. The basics still are - if the bike is running fine now, it will still run fine and be safe with a db killer.

The Powercommander software is pretty user friendly if you ever want to change maps. Anybody with more the 127grams of commonsense can wrap their head around it pretty quickly.

Edit - Ewok, how did you slip that big post in between those two littlies - your a demon on that keyboard alien
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:26 pm

#Tag wrote:No worries. The basics still are - if the bike is running fine now, it will still run fine and be safe with a db killer.

The Powercommander software is pretty user friendly if you ever want to change maps. Anybody with more the 127grams of commonsense can wrap their head around it pretty quickly.

Edit - Ewok, how did you slip that big post in between those two littlies - your a demon on that keyboard alien

Yep!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:30 am

Good point Ewok,
I bought the bike not knowing what mods have been done, to be honest I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. I'll leave it as is and see what happens, then again I do enjoy tinkering with things I've no idea about. I'll have a go at #Tags suggestion of plugging the PCv into my laptop to check what maps been installed. The previous 1250 I had was stock standard apart from a yoshi pipe and an O2 eliminator and was more power than I needed. I'm 46 and prefer to take in the scenery. I'm taking it for a ride to Palm beach early Sunday morning from Randwick 6am so I can escape the Sydney traffic, first proper ride since I bought it, hopefully it's not a dud.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:25 am

Maybe you could ask the vendor to get the previous owner to either ring you or supply some info about the bike .You never know your luck .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:34 am

Is there any Sydney members out there willing to look at your bike?  I can spot all the mods easily other than secondary butterflies. But I am in WA
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Fri 19 Feb 2016, 4:41 pm

Hi Paul,
I took your advise and contacted the Previous owner who bought the bike from Bikebiz in Sydney with the PCV already installed, I also contacted them and got the same answer, hopefully they will be able to contact the first owner who traded it in.
I had a look at air box which has 3 x 10mm holes in the top, does this mean it's been modified or is that just the way they are made? What other mods do Bandit owners do?
If anyone sees a Bandit on Sunday morning heading to Palm Beach with black smoke trailing behind it could be me.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 19 Feb 2016, 5:02 pm

Toby,

Download and post the fuel map from the PC-5.  We should be able to infer its mod state (at least none, not much and heaps) from the fuel trimming that has been applied.

Regards Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Fri 04 Mar 2016, 1:50 pm

HI,
can anyone advise me on how to post my pc5 fuel map onto this site? I've managed to download all the info and save it in "my documents" lots of numbers which I don't understand, just can't seem to transfer to this forum.
cheers.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 04 Mar 2016, 7:39 pm

Toby Hibs wrote:HI,
can anyone advise me on how to post my pc5 fuel map onto this site? I've managed to download all the info and save it in "my documents" lots of numbers which I don't understand, just can't seem to transfer to this forum.
cheers.
You can't post "data" here but you could link it to a Dropbox or similar account.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 07 Mar 2016, 7:40 am

Toby Hibs wrote:HI,
cheers.

Or save it as an image (.jpg or similar) and use Photobucket or similar,
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

Hi, I'm trying to post a pic of fuel map and getting nowhere, I'm using the upload your image link and it lets me choose my photo and then nothing. All advise welcome.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm

Toby Hibs wrote:Hi, I'm trying to post a pic of fuel map and getting nowhere, I'm using the upload your image link and it lets me choose my photo and then nothing. All advise welcome.

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t14-how-to-post-photos

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Wed 09 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm

Power Commander 5 Question. Image.jpg1_zps8sjg0ryd[/URL]

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Wed 09 Mar 2016, 5:17 pm

Hi Peter,
Oops, as you can see, I'm as useful with computers as I am with mechanics. Can you make any sense of these numbers?

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:19 pm

Good work Toby Power Commander 5 Question. 959052286

It doesn't match any of Dynotune maps so probably will have been done by a dynotuner.

It looks like the dynotuner has used the stock Air/Fuel table.

The numbers you see in the table are the percentages that the PCV is adding (positive numbers) or subtracting (negative numbers) from the fuel delivered by the ecu.

Commonly you will see negative numbers in the cruise range where the mix is leaned for better fuel range. Yours are almost all positive numbers.

I reckon those numbers are pretty consistent with your modded airbox and a slip on running the stock AF table.

It doesn't look like your secondaries have been removed (not 100% there because your shot cutoff the table at 7000rpm. If your secondaries were removed you would expect higher additions in the upper rev ranges)

But back to your original question : Adding a db killer will make such a small change that you'd be unlikely to detect any change by remapping. It is still a safe change because the bike will run very slightly richer.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Hibs Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:32 pm

Thanks #Tag,
Glad I didn't pay the garage $750 to get it checked out. Once the revs get to 8500 the numbers are mostly all zero.

Toby Hibs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum