Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ! East Cape and Coromandel Loop

3 posters

Go down

NZ! East Cape and Coromandel Loop Empty NZ! East Cape and Coromandel Loop

Post  Ulsterkiwi Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:17 am

Hi fellas
I know many of you won't get to cross the ditch but we do have some pretty neat roads over here in case you do get the chance.
In December I did 4 days with some mates around some of the best motorcycling roads in the North Island. We went around the East Cape and ended up on the Coromandel Penninsula one afternoon which is a pretty good loop run.
I was on my FA, I have a mate who rides a 650F, my cousin on his C50 Boulevard and we brought a guy on a Fat Boy so we could all feel good about our cornering..... Very Happy

Anyway I enjoy playing with video and here is my scrappy edit. Was trying to convey fun and a mix of cruisy and technical roads, hope you enjoy it......

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

NZ! East Cape and Coromandel Loop Empty Re: NZ! East Cape and Coromandel Loop

Post  paul Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:18 pm

Some great roads and scenery over there ...............and a distinct lack of other motorists to get in your way cheers

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Fri 12 Feb 2016, 6:29 am

the East Cape especially is quiet, its a very remote part of the country. A few stretches have a lot of logging trucks but its otherwise a great place to stretch your legs, so to speak. Coromandel is a bit different, I have been judicious with the editing! The loop is very popular with Auckland riders. TO the extent the government has spent millions on improving the road in a bid to reduce the number of riders killing or seriously injuring themselves. I think the statistics for this road are 2% of road users are bikes, 46% of major crashes and fatalities are bikes. Anyway, its still a beautiful road and great fun.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 12 Feb 2016, 8:42 am

Improving the roads to stop fatalities ..................now there's a novel idea , over here they just lower the speed limits as the road deteriorates instead  Rolling Eyes

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Fri 12 Feb 2016, 8:53 am

ahhhh but.....I did say it was popular with Auckland riders. Everywhere else gets the treatment you have outlined. They take a levy on bike registrations from every bike registered for the road in NZ. This is the only route where those funds have been directly spent.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sat 13 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

Great riding roads. I've only been around the East Cape once, & that was in a car I pinched, (from my folks). I've been around the Coromandel a few times tho, & yes you're correct in saying it's busy there. It's a shame you didn't get any footage of the run along the Firth of Thames. Or did you?  Smile

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:22 am

Kiwisteve wrote:Great riding roads. I've only been around the East Cape once, & that was in a car I pinched, (from my folks). I've been around the Coromandel a few times tho, & yes you're correct in saying it's busy there. It's a shame you didn't get any footage of the run along the Firth of Thames. Or did you?  Smile
yep, got a bit, it ended up on the cutting room floor so to speak. I ended up behind a recently retired gentleman whose retirement present to himself was an MV Brutale 800. He didn't seem that comfortable on it and it was a pretty sedate ride for that bit, I wasn't minded to harass him lol.
Lots of boats being towed on the wrong side of the road so I wasn't minded to die either Cool

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down