Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's

+6
#Tag
Hammy
Re-Cycled
paul
2wheelsagain
barry_mcki
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's - Page 3 Empty Alpine Ride after the WSBK's

Post  Chook Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:28 am

First topic message reminder :

I thought I'd separate this from the main WSBK thread so the 2 don't get lost within each other.

A few of us are planning  a ride through the Alps after the WSBK meet in February, leaving the Island Monday morning and I'm planning on being back in Melbourne by Thursday afternoon.

Chatting with madmax last night we think we'll just wing it re: accommodation so there's no pressure to be in a certain location each night.

I'm pretty sure Tag said he'll catch us up on the Tuesday and if IIRC there was myself, madmax, Ewok, Hammy (+mate?) leaving on the Monday, were you up for it as well Barry?

Ewok had suggested a route on the 1st page of the WSBK thread which looks like it'd take in some awesome country side and roads

Ewok1958 wrote:Sunday: watch the races and stay overnight.
Monday: Philip Island - Reefton Spur - Mansfield - Bright (overnight Bright - it has a great pub, local brewery and some excellent accommodation)
Tuesday: Bright - Mt Beauty - Falls Creek - Omeo - Bruthen - Traralgon (overnight Traralgon).  You simply will not believe the riding on this day until you experience it - it involves crossing the Vic Alps.
Wednesday: Traralgon - Open Cut Mine (for pics) - Licola (for lunch) - Walhalla - Traralgon (overnight Traralgon).  Not quite a rest day but some great riding.  There are extra options!

Ewok, your Day 1 suggestion, is Google maps way out with it's estimate, although it's only 532KM it's suggesting it's a near on 10 hour ride?

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's - Page 3 2aaj2o1
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's - Page 3 Empty Re: Alpine Ride after the WSBK's

Post  Chook Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:39 pm

The 1st link isn't working Dave
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:52 pm

Chook wrote:The 1st link isn't working Dave

Just chop the .%C2%A0 off the end of the url it tries to open.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 16 Dec 2015, 7:01 pm

Ta guys - fixed. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Wed 16 Dec 2015, 7:07 pm

I'd been having a bit of a look and was thinking the 1st option but via Tawonga, I wasn't even fussed if we only made it to Omeo or somewhere else small for night 1.

I'd like to spend Friday night at or near the the Grampians, Saturday in Frances and have a relatively easy ride home on the Sunday, I've been offered a night's (or 2 if I want) accommodation with a friend in Northcote so I'd like to be in Melbourne by at least Thursday (if not Wed) to catch up with her.

That leaves Mon Tues and possibly Wed nights for the Alpine ride.

Barry, do you want to tag along for the Friday/Saturday, I know you said you wanted to do the G.O. road, Frances would be a good start point for a couple of days ride back into Melbourne along the coast.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:00 pm

I talked about it with madmax a while back (I'm usually organised, all booked etc) he was planning on just winging it and see where we end up each night, I'm happy to go along with either option.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 17 Dec 2015, 8:51 am

After last years WSBK Ewok and I just winged it. We had thoughts of pulling up at one place but got there far to early so just carried on. Ended up staying somewhere that was not thought of and had one of the best meals that night for the whole trip.  I like the "wing it" way.  Epok has been sussing out reviews to make a list of places with BAD reviews to stay clear of. Apart from that I see no probs with just finding a place on the go. Always good to ask at the local servo or café.    It's gonna be one hell of a good road trip !

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:38 am

Hammy wrote:Epok has been sussing out reviews to make a list of places with BAD reviews to stay clear of.

We should stay at the Globe Hotel in Coota just to prove 'em wrong
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:01 am

Hammy wrote:After last years WSBK Ewok and I just winged it. We had thoughts of pulling up at one place but got there far to early so just carried on.

That's why i prefer to wing it. Have some idea of a plan in your head but be prepared to change it. If you book accommodation then you are sort of stuck with it.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:05 am

#Tag wrote:
Hammy wrote:Epok has been sussing out reviews to make a list of places with BAD reviews to stay clear of.

We should stay at the Globe Hotel in Coota just to prove 'em wrong

I Stayed at a pub in coota on the way to Drake. Can't remember the name. Food was shit. Room was shit but cheap. Bed was ok. Beer was great

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm

This would also make a good short Monday ride, or the first leg of a longer day for the wingers.

https://goo.gl/maps/tvxuoLtDy1w

You could then head for the hills Tuesday or whenever.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:23 pm

I don't want to try and sound all technical or somefin...... but I will throw this in.

We should plan around what time we have to be out of the house on Monday  Remember that most of the other traffic will get on the road Monday as well.  Some maybe a little seedy first thing Monday morning. We will have the four nights to discuss/argue/debate/trade blows/get drunker  on what ideas everyone has as to what direction we take.  As well as that, we may even get some good advise from some like minded folk that we meet down on the Island.  Some of the very best parties  and road trips that I have had, have been spur of the moment ones.

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:21 pm

Hammy wrote:I don't want to try and sound all technical or somefin...... but I will throw this in.

We should plan around what time we have to be out of the house on Monday  Remember that most of the other traffic will get on the road Monday as well.  Some maybe a little seedy first thing Monday morning. We will have the four nights to discuss/argue/debate/trade blows/get drunker  on what ideas everyone has as to what direction we take.  As well as that, we may even get some good advise from some like minded folk that we meet down on the Island.  Some of the very best parties  and road trips that I have had, have been spur of the moment ones.
Good words of wisdom IMHO

I'm normally a "get away as early as possible and have time to see the sights/stop etc" person but if I'm feeling a bit seedy the last thing I'll be wanting to do is put a helmet on at 6:30am
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:36 pm

I think we have to be out by 11. I have it in an email at home. I'll check later.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:05 pm

Chook wrote:Thanks Ewok, that looks like a much more enjoyable day, I don't mind the occasional 10 hour day in the saddle but not so windy to go with it
Whats wrong with you ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 18 Dec 2015, 5:31 am

Jimcoleman wrote:
Chook wrote:Thanks Ewok, that looks like a much more enjoyable day, I don't mind the occasional 10 hour day in the saddle but not so windy to go with it
Whats wrong with you ?
I like windy, but a 10 hour day, I'd be stuffed and looking for somewhere to stay after 5 or 6 hours of it
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 19 Dec 2015, 11:40 am

I have NFI what it's like up there in extreme heat so  I'm putting this out to those with local knowledge.
Do we need a back up plan if we cop weather like we're getting now after the Superbikes? 
Would it be wise to do the Alpine region in 40+ weather or would we be better off sticking closer to the coast, even a bit of a ride up the NSW south coast?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 19 Dec 2015, 6:42 pm

Chook wrote:I have NFI what it's like up there in extreme heat so  I'm putting this out to those with local knowledge.
Do we need a back up plan if we cop weather like we're getting now after the Superbikes? 
Would it be wise to do the Alpine region in 40+ weather or would we be better off sticking closer to the coast, even a bit of a ride up the NSW south coast?

This made me laugh a bit Chook - thanks for that! Why? Because if Plan A is to wing it, what on earth can Plan B look like? Wink

But seriously, if the Alpine region is getting 40+ then the NSW far south coast (FSC) will likely get it as well, or maybe a few degrees less with some sea breeze influence. And we have some great roads up here that can make for a memorable riding day or two out. But it's 600km in the wrong direction for you. Crying or Very sad A couple of years ago I was riding in the Tumut, Tumbarumba, Khancoban region in mid summer and it was over 50C. It was simply shithouse and even open mesh summer riding gear didn't work as there was no cooling effect from the motion of riding.  We don't want that sort of temperature.

February is traditionally a reasonably wet summer month (it is the wettest or 2nd month of the year in many south-eastern towns, including Canberra) and in the past, wet weather in the week after has been more of an issue than hot weather.  Fingers crossed that we (again) get lucky but we'll probably have to wait until we're in the Surf Beach house before we actually know what the week after will look like. I hope my previous posts indicate there are plenty of options and I'm familiar enough with all routes between the Island and the FSC to be able to go with Plan A, irrespective of the forecast.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 20 Dec 2015, 12:00 am

No worries, I was more thinking the fire danger / everything closed etc risk that can go with catastrophic fire risk days (not sure if that happens there) than the actual temperature, I guess that's why I was asking the locals, like I said, I have NFI about that area.

It's also probably the "I'm usually organised to the last fuel stop" mentality I have left home with the last few trips, gotta get back to how I was in the early 90's when I had no idea what I was doing that day, let alone 2 months out
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 20 Dec 2015, 7:15 am

Chook wrote:No worries, I was more thinking the fire danger / everything closed etc risk that can go with catastrophic fire risk days (not sure if that happens there) than the actual temperature, I guess that's why I was asking the locals, like I said, I have NFI about that area.

It's also probably the "I'm usually organised to the last fuel stop" mentality I have left home with the last few trips, gotta get back to how I was in the early 90's when I had no idea what I was doing that day, let alone 2 months out

Okey dokey. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:04 pm

Just throwing some ideas around for after WSBK

Day 1 starts at Surf beach PI, down to Cape Paterson - Inverloch - Leongatha - Up to Moe, back roads through to Heyfield past Bairnsdale - Bruthen to Overnight stop at Omeo Approx 420k

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's - Page 3 Day%201_1

Day 2 I've heard the road from Omeo to Mitta Mitta is a great bike road,. This route is a easy day ride leaving and returning to Omeo. Going via Mitta Mitta taking Lockharts Gap road and coming back through Myrtleford - Bright - Mt Beauty - Falls Creek and back to Omeo   390k

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's - Page 3 Day%202_1

Day 3 Starts at Omeo and tkaes the Great alpine Road over Mt Hotham and back to Bright. Then on to Whitfield - Mansfield - Jamieson and down to Taggery. 400k

Alpine Ride after the WSBK's - Page 3 Day%203

These are just ideas, welcome to suggest other options of course

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 18 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

How many of us are doing the Alpine ride?

Hammy (+1), Ewok, Tag(?) when will you depart and head North?

Is it just mm, barry and myself doing the return leg into Melbourne?

If I'm within a hour or so from Melbourne I'd probably head straight there on the Wednesday instead of staying in Taggerty, I'd like to be unpacked and ready to do my thing around Melbourne with out so much luggage on the Thursday, I can come and go as I please at Northcote but I need to get there outside of working hours to get the key. 

Alternatively, I could stay at Taggerty, a more relaxed ride Thursday with more time to look around on the way, do my Melbourne stuff Friday and head for the Grampians on the Saturday instead of Friday, that would have me in Frances Sunday night instead (would that still suit you Barry?)
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:01 pm

Taggerty was just as far as i took the route. It wasn't a suggestion of an overnight stop.
Those routes were just there to try and include as many of the great roads in the region.

As i said just ideas

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:09 pm

madmax wrote:Taggerty was just as far as i took the route. It wasn't a suggestion of an overnight stop.
Those routes were just there to try and include as many of the great roads in the region.

As i said just ideas
No worries
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:51 am

I'll bet that after a few beers/wines around the table and a lot of debate. A satisfactory route will emerge for every ones liking.  Now for the serious stuff !   Who's cooking the first BBQ  ?   scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 19 Jan 2016, 12:31 pm

Hammy wrote:I'll bet that after a few beers/wines around the table and a lot of debate. A satisfactory route will emerge for every ones liking.  Now for the serious stuff !   Who's cooking the first BBQ  ?   scratch

The girls

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next